Friday, December 27, 2013

Unusual Christmas presents 2013: 3

By the time it had reached mid-morning and I had got out of bed and breakfasted, I thought at first that my darling husband had forgotten his promise of a gift a day but luckily he turned up with a rectangular box wrapped in red paper with white and blue polka dots on!
"Ooooh, what is it?" I exclaimed gleefull, grasping it and instantly shaking it.
"DON'T!" he cried, panicked and stilled my hands with his.
I set it down and unwrapped, noticing too late, the Fragile, handle with care label. Inside a cardboard box filled with shredded paper, I found 3 tiny porcelain models of hens- one pecking, one in a scratching-the-ground pose and a 3rd which was seated like it was laying eggs. "Oh!" I gasped in remembrance and joy, having spotted these figurines in an antique/second hand shop in Lotte-et-Gerond, France a year and a half ago when we holidayed there in a cottage. I'd reluctantly put them down, realising that ornaments gather dust and I was supposed to be getting rid of things, not buying them. How thoughtful of him to remember my hens!

My hen figurines will sit proudly on our fireplace! Ooh, I forgot to mention that the partridge was delicious! One to cook again, methinks!

7 comments:

  1. How thoughtful to remember from all those months ago! He's a fine husband. Oh, I'd love to see pics of all these lovely presents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word- that is some SERIOUS pre-planning on CBC's part! How lovely :) And I'm very glad you didn't accidentally shake them all to death xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, did he buy them sneakily while you were in France 18 months ago?! I agree with MK - a fine husband indeed and you should definitely share photos of all these lovely gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too would love to see some photos of these wonderful and thoughtful gifts xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband is a gem! How thoughtful. I, too, would love to see photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed the partridge.
    The hens sound like they will be much loved.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  7. He kept them for 18 months? Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)