Jumper: River Island but given by a friend
Polka dot blouse (underneath): Farah, Nottinghill charity shop.
Trousers: ASOS
Belt: from vintage dress.
Shoes: Red or Dead.
Beads: Tescos
Hat: made by Mum.
As you might be aware, today was 'National Christmas Jumper Day' (or something of that ilk) and so we were encouraged to sport our best minging jumpers for this. Now, for years, Christmas jumper has meant to me, any sort of knitted jumper, perhaps with heinous design or fair-isle, animal jumper, any knitted pullover affair OR any jumper you were bought for Christmas. CBC and I, a couple of years ago, were going to go and search for a 'Christmas jumper' for each other in the local charity shops as a challenge!Of course, you'd have to be blind to miss the genuinely 'Christmassy jumpers' available in every store- in fact, the market is saturated with them (not complaining fyi, just pointing out). I decided not to buy a specifically Christmas jumper because I have lots of novelty jumpers anyway and because I want things I want to wear at different times of the year and genuinely didn't see any I wanted overly. What's your opinion on the definition of Christmas jumper?
Today, I turned up to school in this ensemble and as I entered my meeting, my lovely deputy head (who delights in mocking me, affectionately of course) said "What sort of Christmas jumper is that? Cats?!"
To which I replied in a summary of what I said above.
The morning meeting commenced and my Head gave the notices, saying that it was nice to see everyone in funny jumpers and commented on how 'K managed to make hers more stylish by adding a belt."
The deputy then gave her notices and at the end said, after speaking about, how I was trying to fob them all off with fake reasons for wearing a cat jumper, which isn't a Christmas jumper!
Humph!!! It SOOOOO counts!!!
CBC's school also wore Christmas jumpers and he was remarkably fussy over it until we found this one on ASOS (with 20% discount code) which he was pleased about because it had mallards, deer, foxes, pheasants and a skyline on!
I am a little embarassed to tell the tale of getting this jumper but what the heck, I will share anyway.
We paid for next day delivery in order to ensure it was here for Friday (ordered on Saturday night) and I added my new address to my ASOS account and clicked that for delivery address but the billing address is still my old house.
DPD, the parcel company sent a text saying it would be delivered Monday and gave options of delivering to a neighbour etc (had to be signed for) so I asked my new neighbours who were in, and texted back. Monday night, I came home to a text saying it had been delivered to Number 7 and someone called Ali which I thought strange, as we live at a higher number. I tried number 7 in our close AND on the main street but to no avail. At which point, CbC had the brainwave it might have gone to my old house as I lived at number 6. He was right when I checked on the DPD website (still annoyed at ASOS how that happened). Anyway, so I went on Tuesday to go and look for it at my old house. I walked along the street to look for number 7. After number 5, it was a converted house into 7A, B and C. "Great!" I thought. "Which one?". I rang the bell and banged but no answer. Lights were on upstairs but there was no bell for 7C. No answer from 7A and finally a window opened from what was 7B and a woman spoke in broken English. I asked about Ali but she said 'No'. I hoped she'd understood. I texted a friend to ask her to try the house during the day as perhaps they worked nights. She had no luck. Thursday night, I went over for choir practice and went and tried again. No answer from any of the houses, all in darkness and the one upstairs not answering at all. Somehow, all of a sudden, I was FURIOUS!!! I couldn't understand why they hadn't got in touch with me or where my parcel was or how I was going to get it! (Also contained the black trousers above). My Mum had to put up with a really irritated me, stressing over what CBC was going to do. I went to Tescos to see if I could find one. No luck. Finally, I don't know WHAT it was that made me check but I walked down the street slowly, scrutinizing each house and walked past 7ABC and found a number 7, a little bijou AFTER the big house of flats!!!! Surely 7 would come BEFORE 7ABC. Happily, the family of Ali was in and I got my parcel but I felt SUCH a twit. What point was there in my irritation and annoyance? I just got myself wound up! The moral of this story- don't get stressed about what you can't change OR 'Get a life, it's only a jumper!!!!!!!!'
So three things:
a) Define 'Christmas jumper' for me.
b) Do you have one?
c) Did you wear one at all today?
d) Do you have an embarassing tale of Mistaken Identity or Mistaken address?
e) How are you today my lovelies?
Bless you Kezzie- I'm feeling cross on your behalf at ASOS and whoever did the numbering in your road. 7 should DEFINITELY come first. Idiots. So glad it all worked out in the end though - CBC's new jumper is totally amazeballs and I might have to buy myself one too. Hopefully will turn up here. Although it does remind me of the whole "Topshop Guy" incident that T suffered last Christmas.
ReplyDeleteRegarding your festive jumper, you could've used the classic "Santa Claws/Paws" excuse; or stated in mock outrage "Cats have Christmas too you know! Who are you to try and stop them?". Love your outfit anyway, especially the blouse (quell surprise, given that it's polka dots) xxxxx
I think your definition of Christmas jumper is correct, but now the shops are full of " Christmas jumpers" people who do not understand these things think that there is only one type of Christmas jumper.
ReplyDeleteA few weeks ago a delivery driver knocked and asked if I would take a parcel for my neighbour. I'd realised that it was a phone due to the size and shape. Later I had to go out and got back late, my neighbour did not call for it, so took it round. The driver had not left her a card to say where it was and she thought it had been stolen!!! It was an iPhone 5, which I could have just kept if I wasn't such an honest person.
So funny. I like your sense of humor. And my opinion of you is soaring now that I know you have suspenders, vests and a pocket watch!
ReplyDeleteI like your cats and I love your hubby's jumper.
ReplyDeleteWe used to have "ugly Christmas sweater" day at our school. I don't like it and here is why: What about all the cute old ladies that LOVE their fancy Christmas sweater because they feel like it is a sweet and festive piece of apparel? I would hate for them to have hurt feelings because all the "cool" people are trying to out-funny each other. I like your choices. They are a bit cuddly and not full of glitter and sass.
I do not have a Christmas jumper, just red sweaters.
Eek at the delivery mix up. Sure you'll triple check it next time you order! My sister has some gorgeous festive jumpers this year...not too tacky, just a cat with a santa hat or a gingerbread man or 'jolly'. I think she looks great in them. I don't wear jumpers (I only own that one unicorn one) and I think it's funny that how something that used to be sooo naff is now cool and you're right the market is saturated right now. You get some fabulous ones though. I like your cat one and think it does fit the theme.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know there was a Christmas jumper day on Friday, I live in a little bubble I think as I never have any idea what is happening in the world! Your jumper looks lovely, especially with the belt. I wouldn't class that one as really a Christmas jumper myself, but I think it's up to you how you interpret it and I think your deputy was a bit rude/harsh about it.
ReplyDeleteI've never had a christmas jumper before but this year, I decided Dave and I should have one and then found out that they seem to be a big thing this year. I think my idea of a christmas jumper is a bit different to yours. I've never received on for as a gift at Christmas but to me, a Christmas jumper should just be silly, fun or hideous, or all three! I bought a cheap one which has reindeer and dodgy patters and is quite 70s in style. Unfortunately, the slim fit small jumper I ordered turned out to be huge on me, I reckon it must be a mislabelled size 14 or something - but it will do as a snuggly, at home jumper. Dave had a really cool one - a UFO abducting the presents! There was one with dinosaurs on it that we loved, but it was sold out. I love CBCs jumper - I'd love one for myself and was going to order one for Dave but they are sold out too :(
You didn't offend me, sweet Kezzie. You're so thoughtful.
ReplyDeleteYour jumper looks great. I'm not into Christmas or jumpers so the phenomena has passed me by. If it's your thing knock yourself out. x
ReplyDeleteI am completely out of the politics of the Christmas jumper, and don't own anything that could be defined as such, but I am really glad I stopped by here today to read such an entertaining story - and I agree with PomPom, but I suppose the damage has been done now, and that is part of the sweater politics in the U.S. at least, that you can know if you wear a Christmasy sweater/jumper *someone* is likely to consider it ugly.
ReplyDeleteAs to your jumpers, I think the common judgment is that cats aren't Christmasy, and deer are. However, I think your cat jumper has enough red, combined with the beads and hat, to be very Christmas-classy.
I think Christmas jumpers are so great and a lot of fun. I found out last week that you have a national day for it and I thought that was pretty cool. You are so sweet and lovely. It's hard to define a Christmas jumper but when I see one I know it. I have a few which don't have any sort of holiday pattern but they are the same style in terms of the bright colours and repetitive pattern that I'd definitely put them in the Christmas jumper category.
ReplyDeleteI'm a little mystified by the Christmas jumper (sweater, over here) phenomenon. Apparently, a Christmas jumper is a real necessity on your side of the pond. Over here, ladies tend to have what is known as "an ugly Christmas sweater," or perhaps, "a tacky Christmas sweater" that is garish and colorful. In fact, they're usually sweaters that were in style about 25 years ago, but everyone shudders awfully upon remembering it. I don't have one. But I enjoyed reading about your fiasco and how you found your jumper!
ReplyDelete