Wednesday, February 13, 2013

That itchy jumper: Memories of childhood!!!!

dalmation beret

itchy jumper

As a child, I was really sensitive to certain materials or LABELS in clothes uhrgh, certain clothes in the 80's had SUCH itchy labels!!!!  I spent much of my childhood, wriggling because of an itchy label in a pair of knickers or a skirt/trousers with a high waistband (or worse, a t-shirt!).  I bought a gorgeous skirt from L'orsay in Saltzburg as a teen which was great bar the most unelievably itchy/scratchy label I have ever had the misfortune to own!

I was always particularly sensitive to certain wools or materials.  When we went over to my Dad's, he and my Stepmum had clothes for us over there to wear, that we'd change into.  These included, for both my sister and I- a white cardigan.  I don't know what on earth it was made out of but I detested it!! I'd refuse to wear it, or wear it protestingly!   Recently, I was talking to my stepmum about it and I didn't realise it had had such an effect on them.  We somehow got onto the subject of itchy clothing and she referred to it as "that wretched cardigan!" that I absolutely refused to wear in rather heated tones! My sister, as good as gold, always wore hers uncomplainingly.  What a fiend I was!

To this day, I still find certain materials itchy.  The hilarious thing is- my stepmum and Dad bought me the above jumper for my birthday last year and whilst it is a pretty colour, by heck, is it itchy!!! I attempted to counteract the itchy by wearing a long-sleeved cotton top underneath and a scarf!   I dearen't tell them it's so itchy for fear of causing memories of that white cardigan to erupt!
I am debuting this snow-leopard patterned beret which I found in the sales! I'm not a big fan of animal print, but I quite liked this one.  Worn with my turquoise cordhuroy Toms and a Primark belt and top plus thrifted trousers!

Speaking of memories of childhood, I am going to try and post my first linkie thing soon, so get your thinking caps on for writing and linking up a post about your childhood on the subject of 'Clothing I loved or loathed'

13 comments:

  1. I can fully sympathise with this, as my skin is so sensitive and fragile I end up cutting myself on everything; even SOFT things!!

    Itchy labels and jumpers are the worst- I have a rule that I will only buy a jumper if it is non-itchy enough for me to wear without a top underneath (or a bra because y'know, yeurgh, bras...). Otherwise, lovely or not, it'll end up going to the charity shop.

    Excellent idea for a linky party about childhood clothing. I have lots of stories at the ready! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember having an itchy jumper when i was younger, it was so uncomfortable i can't describe the material but i remember hiding it in the end as my mum loved it lol.
    Hope your well,
    Vanessa
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand. I often hate material and find things really itchy or uncomfortable. I don't think it's me or my skin, I blame the materials - some are just itchy!

    I love the little splash of yellow in your outfit from the belt, it works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a new pair of trousers that has an itchy label. I suppose big pants could be the answer xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh Kezzie - I have the same problem as you. I have even ended up cutting some of the labels out of my clothes before because the itching was too much. I think everyone's had to wear that one jumper as a child that felt like wiry wool. It's a shame because this jumper you've got on is gorgeous. Love the beret too - very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had a problem with labels but i can relate to itchy jumpers. I have one folded away nicely in a plastic bag because not only is it itchy but it catches on to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute look! Love how you added the touch of leopard!

    xx
    Giovanna
    www.HeyLoveBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. you look adorable in your wool itchy jumper. i'm sensitive to materials too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have a problem with itchy fabrics but Jon's dreadful, poor sensitive soul!
    That jumper looks great! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mummykins8:43 am

    Synthetics!!!!!!! Aaaarrgh!!!!! Can't wear them at all and even blend is horrible. Trousers have to be cottone or silk. I couldn't wear the uniform trousers at Stagecoach as ended up with rash on legs. I can wear a soft fleece over a cotton t-shirt and knickers have to absolutely 100% cotton. I can't stand poly cotton bedding.
    It's so annoying when people buy clothes that either don't fit or are in a fabric you can't wear. It's happened so many times to me too.
    Need I go on?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:50 am

    I simply cannot wear wool next to my skin. I adore mohair but just can't wear it. I have even tried lambswool and got the same reaction. The pink cardi I wear frequently has a really itchy label which is a constant source of (quite literally) irritation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. if something is uncomfortable in any way, i usually won't wear it (except shoes). itchy is the worst. you do, however, look adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm ok-ish with wool now, but I have similar childhood memories of itchy home knitted jumpers... I'd love them now but they were torture as a child!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)