
http://lisajobaker.com/2013/01/five-minute-friday-again/
Several thoughts come to mind when I think about 'again'. Firstly, what came first to mind was the thought of repeating the same mistakes, again. Doing something at it and failing several times. And yet, by doing it, again and again, there is always hope and usually success, of getting it right. It brings to mind perseverance. As a music teacher, doing something again and again is crucial to the success of my young learners. Yes, there are those who get something instantly But for a large majority, the need to try, retry and do it again and again is a necessity. Some children get this. They patiently try it again and again until they succeed. Perhaps it's in their mentality- nature or because they have a background of being encouraged to persevere and try, try, try again- nurture? Others find it hard. They instantly state, "I can't do it!" and don't want to try again. They want it instantly and aren't willing to feel those feelings of 'failing' at something in the attempt. One thing that I have to teach at all ages is the modelling of 'practice techniques'. HOW to practice, how to improve, how to break it down and the need to try, try, try again. All the time I say to groups who say: "We've done it!". "Practice it again and again- seeing how you can improve it."
This week, one child decided to leave all my after school clubs she's been in. (she was currently in choir and drumming). She did them for one term. She did orchestra for one term, she did recorders for one term, but she's not willing to persevere and improve at something by doing it again or get good. She enjoyed all of them but won't do things again. I had her last year in class, and she was like that with everything. Not willing to do things again, didn't like the effort of having to try things again and again. I do hope that she will learn to persevere and give something a try and do it again to see how she can progress. I guess it's my job to try and reiterate THAT to her, again and again.
*****
The rules of the link:
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..
Oh and Ahem, if you would take pity and turn off comment verification, it would make leaving some love on your post that much easier for folks!
-----------
And if you missed it- check out my gentleman doctor style inspiration from yesterday!xx
Yes, it is so true that as we don't get discouraged when things don't work out straight away but NEVER GIVE UP, that we will see the fruit of it in the by and by. it's amazing what we will see opening up to us when we stop being scared of failure and try things again. Thank you for this encouragement, it is needed!
ReplyDeleteMy five-year-old daughter is one to very quickly say, "I can't do it!" I keep telling her to try again, but she gets so easily frustrated. I hope it's something she will grow out of.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your five minute ramble and can related to your troubles with children who won't try. We have so many at the moment, mainly boys, who just can't be bothered and don't want to try. I do enjoy that moment though when they eventually achieve something and you can say 'I told you so', I knew you could do it, and you can almost watch their confidence grow!
ReplyDeleteNice post.
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting post, I need to think about that word, I think I might be a bit like that little girl....I give up...only with something's!
ReplyDeleteXxx
I've just done the one hour Big Garden Birdwatch and was getting ready to give up because typically no birds came into the garden even after I'd put out a vast range of food. Perseverance paid off and in the hour saw a pair of blackbirds, sparrows and wood pigeons, 1 robin and 14 starlings in one count. It had to be at any one time, no continuous count as it could be same bird returning.
ReplyDeleteWhat a shame about that child giving up.
I think the problem is the word 'again.' I never do things 'again' because I try a different approach the subsequent time.
ReplyDelete