Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Whitby Jet, Emerald city

 It's funny how one article can be someone's ideal and another's disaster.  My Mum was bought a gorgeous Whitby jet necklace and earrings when she left a job.  The set remained in a drawer for years unworn, as it wasn't her.  Fast forward several years to the first time I went to Whitby. I waxed lyrical to her about how I wish I had bought a Whitby jet necklace and she produced the set and gave them to me.  The necklace was my ideal- small, elegant and fairly simple, a small but sparkling bow.  I've in the meantime, lost one gem from it (it is unnoticable) - realistically, can I get it reset anywhere local or am I going to have to wait until I return to Whitby?)

Emerald top 2


I went out for dinner with two friends on Friday night.  I wore it in a jet and emerald outfit for the dinner with my friends- I wanted to contrast that dark sparkle of the Whitby jet with a vibrant, more in your face emerald.  (If you squint hard enough you can also see my engagement ring on my finger!)
 Emerald top 3

I wore a thrifted Ted Baker aged 14-15 skirt (check the teenage section!) and my old trusty repro jet headband contrasting with a Forever 21 emerald ruffly top, thrifted emerald satchel and bracelets (one thrifted- others gifts)

Emerald top 5

Another lost gem which I thought reflected that midnight sparkle of  the jet was found in these glittery black tights which have hovered in the tights-hoard (hands up who's got one! Who knew I was a tights hoarder?  I was in denial till recently!)  Put together with comfortable looking black Primark glittery-block heeled ballet pumps.  Don't be fooled by their innocent facade, the wretched things really hurt!!!!
IMG_5402


I had a lovely catch-up with the girls despite having to really try hard not to speak loudly!  One of them is also getting married, though she has decided on a date (April) and is getting married in a Kentish church and nearby castle!  How did YOU start planning your wedding (if you, the dear reader are married), honestly, I don't know how to start and I am putting it off because it seems really arduous! I really want to get married SOON but somehow panic at that not being possible with all the planning and financial constraints means I somehow avoid the subject!

I just returned from my home-group from church's weekly meeting. Was a great meeting with lots to think about.  Another thing we decided on was we're going to make Christmas food bags for some local hostels that have opened and yours truly has the fun task of getting the congregation involved on Sunday!  It all starts with my buying large quantities of gift bags and giving them out...!

How are you?

13 comments:

  1. will email you this week re wedding :)
    I'm sorry but we're going to want a close up of that engagement ring soon, hehe x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spy that pretty ring! I think we need a close up!!

    I love your sparkly shoes!

    And I was a weird girl who had almost every detail of my wedding kind of figured out before I even got engaged, lol. It helps to make lists - start simple - venue, dress, food, etc. Then list your ideas and go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what pretty necklace. i love anything that is in bow shape or form!! and i love the green ruffled top, too. and yes, ring close up, please!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help you out with the wedding planning sadly as I am not married... I don't think Dave will ever ask *sigh*!!

    Lovely outfit though and I love the jet necklace. I have a rough piece of jet in my fossil jar picked up from the beach in Whitby years ago.
    I like to shop in children's sections too... it's great being able too!

    Is your ring emerald? I have to agree with the other commenters, we need to see a a proper photo of your ring! It looks lovely but despite my best efforts at squinting can't quite see well enough ;) !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so behind with my blog reading and I think I haven't congratulated you yet on your engagement, so congratulations to you you both, please can we have a look at your ring, pretty please!
    As for organising your wedding, mine was quite a few years ago now, 18 to be precise, but I think you have to decide on where you want to get married first, whether that's your church or somewhere else and then start from there, pinterest is great for wedding ideas and themes if you want one, but I would say the biggest thing to remember is that the day is about the two of you, not how many you invite the size of the venture or even the cost but about two lovely people joining together, and it's easy to forget that with everyone telling you different things xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at your lovely legs! Swit-swoo! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous!! that necklace is absolutely beautiful! I love the whole outfit, but primark shoes can be absolute foot death. The hostel gift bags are a lovely idea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi my dear!! Your Whitby jet necklace is stunning and a really sparkly outfit choice too, love it all! Good luck with the wedding preparations and I do wish you a speedy recovery too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Whitby jet, there is something very special about its deep, rich, black sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You start by... deciding something. Doesn't actually matter what, just make a decision, write it down, and then don't revisit it.

    Once you've done that, it should get easier to decide the next thing, and go from there.

    My recommendation would be to start by getting some of the "big decisions" made early on - decide where you want to get married, and decide roughly when. (Very shortly thereafter, you'll need to check with the where that they can do the when. At which point you have a fixed date... and really have to start getting those decisions made.)

    Harsh as it is, you'll also need to decide on a budget early on in the process. Believe me, weddings are invariably much more expensive than you think, and it's much much easier to add something to your dreams than it is to take something away. So sort out the things that really matter to you first, and then use whatever remains from the budget to make it extra-nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow your necklace is beautiful and goes lovely with your outfit.
    I really like your top from forever 21 :).
    Good luck with the Wedding planning i've been engaged for too long now i barely think about a wedding so i'm not much help with the planning lol.
    Vanessa
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. We definitely need a close up of the ring! The jet set is stunning, how lovely that your Mum still had it - it was obviously meant to be yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. how serendipitous that the necklace that didn't work for your mum, was absolutely perfect for you dear kezzie! :) you radiate holiday sparkle.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)