Sunday, July 07, 2024

30 a week

 Here

https://www.nutritionscotland.org/30-plants-

Alison and Ang (see links below) have both blogged about the New 5 a day (for fruit and veg) being 30 a week. As in, variety being more important rather than quantity each day. I was intrigued and interested and decided to keep track of my intake this week.  It includes tea and coffee (as they are plants) and herbs and spices.

Here are the articles below:

a-week-the-new-5-a-day/

https://zoe.com/learn/30-plants-per-week

https://angalmond.blogspot.com/2024/01/5-dayor-30-week.html

https://fatdormouse.wordpress.com/2024/06/25/thirty-is-the-new-five/

Here's my list for the week. 

Monday:

  1. Banana
  2. Strawberries
  3. Nectarine
  4. Beetroot
  5. Carrot
  6. Cucumber
  7. Yellow tomatoes
  8. Hummus (chickpeas)
  9. Mini stuffed red bell pepper
  10. Mint (0.25)
  11. Coriander (0.25)
  12. Tea  
  13. Oat milk
  14. rocket
  15. Rosemary (0.25)
  16. Sweet potatoes
  17. Broccoli
  18. Green Beans
  19. Corn on the Cob
  20. Paprika (0.25)
  21. Black pepper (0.25)

Tuesday:

22. Plum

23. Chard

24. Olive? 

25. Mushy pea? (fish cake filling)

26. Blueberries


Wednesday:

27. Baked beans 

28. Apple

39. Heritage tomato

Thursday

29. Aubergine

28. Ginger (0.25)

29. Beansprouts

30. Onions

31. Spring onions

32. Mangetout

33. Red chilli

34. Red pepper

35. Avocado


Friday

35. Green pepper

36. Pumpkin

37. Bamboo shoots

38. Coconut milk

39. Orange juice

38. Thai basil (0.25)

39. Mini corn 

40. Courgette

Saturday:

41. Potatoes (chips- do they count?)

42. Peas (are these separate from mushy peas if different type?)

43. Lemon balm tea (does this count?) 0.25

44. Satsuma

Taking into account 8 herbs/spices, up to Saturday, this makes 38 plants. I haven't included Sunday as I'm likely to use up duplicates of what I've had already and I'm out at an orchestra rehearsal this morning.

This week, I have eaten quite well as I ate 2 Asian meals out, visited the greengrocer and was organised enough to make myself Salad for 2 meals so I'd be interested to see what this will be like on a week where I've done no shopping or not eaten out- I tend to eat what veg and fruit I can buy that is not in plastic at the supermarket so sometimes am very reliant on what Lidl or the Coop have available. 

I challenge you to try! I may keep track next week and see how much I get to (not had time to shop...)

Xx 





6 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I do agree that variety is more important than quantity. I'll have to try and make a daily list myself and see where I can do better at the end of the week! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to increase the amount of plants I eat for a while. One of my strategies has been to add a mixture of seeds and nuts to my porridge and salads every day. I need to track properly though for a week and see if I come anywhere near to reaching the 30 mark. I started doing this after seeing a Diary of a CEO podcast with Tim Spector who I believe created the Zoom app.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:49 pm

    I don't think potatoes do count - and crisps in general? I don't know if they count as "processed", otherwise you could have vegetable crisps. I'd give yourself .25 of a point for lemon balm - why not? And I think mushy peas are marrowfat peas, so they're different to garden peas. Well done, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:49 pm

    Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so interesting. I'll have to try and write mine down one week. I probably won't get anywhere near 30 though. We tend to eat the same vegetables on repeat because the toddler will eat them and I'd rather she ate the same vegetables than none at all all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done!!
    I think both are important, variety and quantity. But, if you aim at 30 a week, you get the quantity without having to struggle.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)