Bright moments this week.
1. The lovely boy with SEND who is doing so well in Drumming club. I was playing Tequila on the recorder for the children to transition between instruments. Totally impromptu, he jumped onto the bongos and accompanied me with the perfect syncopated accompaniment - he was grinning at me and we were totally in a groove! It was the most sunshiney, wonderful, unexpected moment. He exudes unbelievable joy when playing drums. This drumming club have got more into the Samba vibe (they dance and move) than any group I've ever had. They're also noisy and won't be quiet but they love it!
2. I noticed that my recorder matched my shoes. I held it agains my shoes and admired the similarity. I looked out up and noticed D in Year 6 laughing at me. She raised her eyebrows and gave me a look. Later, we both laughed about it and no one else knew what we were talking about.
3. D told me usually she dances on the pole when on the train and always does it on school trips to embarrass her teacher. I asked why she didn't do that with me during our earlier trip. "I don't want to embarrass YOU!" she replied.
4. I decided to downsize my scarf collection. I gave three of them to some girls in year 4 who were so utterly delighted. One of them came into school a day later and she had made me a batch of Scottish pancakes to say thank you! They were still hot! It was nice to share my scarves as in a charity shop, you can't always guarantee that someone will buy them! Also managed to pass on a box from a fox plant pot I bought that was cute- one of those year 4 girls had it!
5. My music room library is thriving. I've got so many children borrowing books including one boy who, a month ago, was a complete nightmare in my lessons. Something changed and now he's really behaving for me and it was nice to be able to trust him enough to lend him a book.
6. I was trying to make my way across the playground and got ambushed by a group of year 4 girls who all engulfed me in a massive hug. As I tried to extricate myself, A, a girl from year 6 joined me. "I noticed a large crowd and came to see what they were crowding around. Once I saw it was you, naturally, I decided to join it!" It was so funny, the way she said it!
7. Very successful trip to watch the London Symphony Orchestra on Monday with my children from orchestra. They really enjoyed it and were really positive about it! It was a joy to take them!
8. Had to run our Treasure Island rehearsal by myself on Tuesday as the Drama lead was off sick. Managed to get the opening song and closing song blocked and learnt properly and even started to work out movements for the overture!
9. I now have to teach Phonics to a year 1 class every Thursday (Wednesday this week) which is annoying as it cuts a big half an hour out of my music lesson but I am getting into the swing of it now- we use Essential Letters and Sounds and it works quite well!
10. Very, very glad I made a large batch of Vegetable stew on Sunday. It has meant 2 dinners I didn't need to think about. Topped up with homegrown kale, bittercress and 3-cornered leek!
11. Bought a yummy Mediterranean platter from Lidl. Have very much enjoyed coming home to it, particularly the cream-cheese stuffed pimento peppers- they are delicious!!
12. It's only a week or so till the holiday!!!!
What a lovely post, brimming with positively! I'm craving one of those cheese-stuffed pimentos now! xxx
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading this post, Kezzie! You are such a dedicated teacher so I'm not surprised the children love you! What fun that your recorder matched your shoes and that D "got" you. Yay for that large batch of vegetable stew and Lidl's Mediterranean platters. And for it only being a week or so till the holiday! I hope you've got something nice planned! xxx
ReplyDelete12 bright moments in one week deserves a gold circle around these days in your calendar!
ReplyDeleteA good read,. What's SEND?
ReplyDeleteSpecial Educational Needs. He struggles with lots of areas of school but he's so very musical and I see the sheer joy he gets from performing music and knowing he's good!
Delete