The random ramblings of an eclectic eccentric who wends waywardly through a myriad of activities!
Wednesday, May 04, 2022
Style Imitating Art- Anne M Bray's Scrappy squares
I got out the habit of joining in with Style Imitating Art over the last few months which is sad as there have been some superb inspiration art pieces.
A wonderful new host has joined the SIA team- Shelbee from Shelbee on the Edge. I have long admired Shelbee's Style Imitating Art posts where she shared detailed outfits and the inspiration behind them so I am super happy she's now going to be choosing the inspirations every 3rd turn.
She chose art by a fellow blogger and artist, Anne M Bray who decided to turn scrap fabrics into art rather than wasting them. They are called Scrappy squares and Shelbee has one named after her!
We were invited to choose one to inspire our outfit.
I chose Karo:
Shelbee's round up post was fab as she paired all 10 ladies with their chosen piece. So here's mine,
I chose Caro as I wanted to wear my beautiful, comfortable linen jumpsuit from Seasalt which CBC bought me for my 40th birthday. I added my charity-shopped black pointelle cardigan as the pattern is sort of created on my arms by the 'holes' in my cardigan. I added my black velvet Kangol beret (charity shopped) and to finish off, my black/white patterned Toms shoes match up with the black and white pattern rather nicely. Alas, I have no closeup picture of them!
My little sister took this picture of me in the Bluebell woods near her house. She also took photos on her SLR but I'm going to have to wait for those!
I urge you to go and look at Shelbee's round up post as it's fabulous how all 10 ladies interpreted their chosen squares!
Hope you had a successful day! I rather like my Wednesdays as it's 3 lessons of Year 5, plus one Year 6, Year 5-6 singing assembly and then choir. In Singing Assembly, we've been learning Sakura, a Japanese folk song and I'd shown them videos of the Shakuhachi and Koto playing a version of it last week, so I took in my Sulangsong, a bamboo flute specially made for me by a flute maker from Bandung, Java, called Efendi who created his own flute which is a mixture of the Japanese Shakuhachi, the Sundanese Suling and the Sumatran Saluang.
Here is a duet version with the koto and the Shakuhachi
My Year 5's were working on their river buildups for Vltava (Smetana) and my 6's were improving their Beethoven 5th Symphony Developments.
Do you remember I was a little sad about having low numbers in choir compared to last term? Well, it all worked out in the end due to some individual targetting and some surprises and I have 31 in choir now including some real sweeties! Choir sounds pretty good!
How far would you go for the environment? Am I that crazy that I carried home 8 smelly crab shells from my Dad's? I was clearing up the table after a lovely seafood platter and I asked if they had food waste for me to put the shells in. My stepmum replied that they don't have it (and obvs putting fishy stuff in the home compost is a no no as it encourages rats).My Dad commented that it was such a shame to have to put the shells in the bin because there are lots of valuable minerals that could be returned to the soil. I decided to take matters into my own hands and cunningly wrapped all 8 shells in some waste plastic and hid them in my bag. I fessed up to my Dad later on and he chuckled and told me, "Good on you!" but agreed the rest of the family would think me insane for doing this.
When I got back, I washed the shells up to clean them and I crushed them with a garden trowel tonight to add to my compost. Yes, it was grim but I made a promise that I would try my best to ensure things aren't wasted!
Anyway, hope you have a lovely day! Don't forget to go and see Shelbee's round up!
You look very pretty in the bluebells. I love your red and black outfit. I did visit Shelbee's round up. Her scrappy art is very interesting.
Good for you for saving the shells and smashing them for your compost. I just bought two bags of lobster shell compost. I had never tried it before. It looked just like ordinary black compost except I found some lobster teeth from the claws. There was no smell to it.
I think it's inspiring that you go the extra mile to avoid tossing recyclables in the bin, Kezzie! Well done! I don't think you're crazy, but I'm not sure I'd carry crab shells in my purse - that's just asking for trouble.
Love your outfit for the art round up! I've had to stop doing all these link parties and round-ups - I just don't have the mental energy for them lately.
Stunning photos, Kezzie! that jumpsuit is lovely and a fantastic 40th birthday gift! Its admirable that you go the extra mile with your recycling. Being a veggie I wouldn't have touched those shells but I suppose it might have encouraged more cats into the garden so i might have got Jon to tak them home! xxx
I'm loving those scrappy squares, and you imitated the Karo one you chose perfectly. That jumpsuit is all kinds of wonderful, and so is that photo of your among the bluebells! And wow, you really are the recycling queen, Kezzie. I'm not sure many people would be tempted to take those smelly shells home. But well done, and I'm sure your garden will be thankful for your efforts! xxx
It's a fab outfit Kezzie and you look lovely with the bluebells :) It was quite common in olden days in Cornwall for allotment or 'piece' holders to dig in unsaleable spider crabs into their plots, which acted as a soil improver x
I'd forgotten all about Style Imitating Art - shame because this looks like a good one. Not that I have much choice in what to wear these days. I just keep rotating the same 5 or 6 outfits that I can breastfeed in! You look lovely in your outfit amongst the bluebells.
You definitely go above and beyond for the environment. I don't think I could have brought myself to put crab shells in my bag no matter how well wrapped they were! I'm very impressed with your dedication.
Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)
You look very pretty in the bluebells. I love your red and black outfit.
ReplyDeleteI did visit Shelbee's round up. Her scrappy art is very interesting.
Good for you for saving the shells and smashing them for your compost. I just bought two bags of lobster shell compost. I had never tried it before. It looked just like ordinary black compost except I found some lobster teeth from the claws. There was no smell to it.
Enjoy the rest of the week.
Hugs,
Julia
I think it's inspiring that you go the extra mile to avoid tossing recyclables in the bin, Kezzie! Well done! I don't think you're crazy, but I'm not sure I'd carry crab shells in my purse - that's just asking for trouble.
ReplyDeleteLove your outfit for the art round up! I've had to stop doing all these link parties and round-ups - I just don't have the mental energy for them lately.
Stunning photos, Kezzie! that jumpsuit is lovely and a fantastic 40th birthday gift!
ReplyDeleteIts admirable that you go the extra mile with your recycling. Being a veggie I wouldn't have touched those shells but I suppose it might have encouraged more cats into the garden so i might have got Jon to tak them home! xxx
I'm loving those scrappy squares, and you imitated the Karo one you chose perfectly. That jumpsuit is all kinds of wonderful, and so is that photo of your among the bluebells!
ReplyDeleteAnd wow, you really are the recycling queen, Kezzie. I'm not sure many people would be tempted to take those smelly shells home. But well done, and I'm sure your garden will be thankful for your efforts! xxx
It's a fab outfit Kezzie and you look lovely with the bluebells :) It was quite common in olden days in Cornwall for allotment or 'piece' holders to dig in unsaleable spider crabs into their plots, which acted as a soil improver x
ReplyDeleteI'd forgotten all about Style Imitating Art - shame because this looks like a good one. Not that I have much choice in what to wear these days. I just keep rotating the same 5 or 6 outfits that I can breastfeed in! You look lovely in your outfit amongst the bluebells.
ReplyDeleteYou definitely go above and beyond for the environment. I don't think I could have brought myself to put crab shells in my bag no matter how well wrapped they were! I'm very impressed with your dedication.