Friday, July 03, 2020

A general chit chat

Just thought I'd write a post to say, "Hello there."
I wonder how you are feeling about the events of the world, the changing of lockdown rules, what the future holds and how you feel generally.

It's weird for me that since returning to school for an increasing number of days, I've felt more harassed again and struggling to fit things into the hours.

Getting used to the strange being at school not teaching music.

I did 2 days a week for 2 weeks, this week I was asked to do 3 days, next week 4 and the following week 5.  I'm a bit nervous about returning to work more, particularly as the trains have been getting a bit busier. Still ok but I've had quite a few occasions on my TfL rail train that I've had multiple people not wearing their masks (some wearing it like a chin strap). I've made a comment like, "Guys, aren't we supposed to be wearing our masks?" on two occasions. The first time, I was ignored by the two men. One woman was wearing one when she got on the train and took it off completely for the journey. When she got up to get off the same station as me, I said, "Have you forgotten your mask?". She said, "Oh yeh," as if she hadn't got one full stop and got off the train. In the entrance hall, she put it on to exit. At the gates, I told the staff that 4 people in my carriage had not been wearing them and they said all they could do was tell people to wear them, but couldn't make them as they aren't the police. It's very annoying.

Yesterday, I said it to the same woman from above and another man and said, "Aren't we supposed to be wearing masks guys?" to which the woman quickly looked to see what the man would say.  He said, "Yeh, I've got one." and I said, "Are you going to wear it?" and he said, "Yeah, in a minute."
When I replied, "Glad to hear it," he huffed and puffed and tutted but at least put it on. It made me feel really uncomfortable though.
Also, there have been a few occasions at my penultimate station where someone sits directly opposite me despite there being more distanced options.
Tis annoying.
Had some lovely fun times at school as well as some difficult times with one particular pupil.
Luckily, he had a good day today and we all did some fun activities including a very silly Science experiment involving trying to carry beanbags with the aid of two pencils from one hoop to another.
Also, we have CHICKS! The Happy Egg company sent us fertilized eggs and an incubator and they've all nearly hatched. It is a joy to have bundles of yellow fluffy chirping in the room.
In the garden, I've been picking gluts of strawberries daily- 48 today, probably about 200 in total so far. 13 Blueberries today also. A yellow courgette is on the way. The squashes keep growing but then they seem to go moudly or something which is annoying- just grow big, guys!
Enjoying getting to know some different members of staff a bit more through this.

Last week, did I mention that I got some lovely free big terracotta pots from the skip of someone round the corner from me (I did ask).  On the same walk, I also got 3 free Runner bean plants which had been left out to be taken. 

Happily managed to order a couple of M&S cotton non-wired bras of a type I like from someone new on eBay as some of mine need replacing.
Joyfully, I won a prize from the lovely jewellery maker, Esoteric London yesterday for sharing my pictures of her jewellery so that's something nice to look forward to! Her things are really pretty!

I've been enjoying playing online Scrabble with the lovely Katie who used to blog but has been my penpal for at least 6 years!   Yes, I have a new phone. I meant to do an eulogy to my old phone at some point, so need to do that still!

I went to the field behind my house (involves quite a walk to get round the railway line) to collect some horse manure.  I went with an old compost sack and a trowel.  It's currently sitting in a pot by the shed so it can rot down. Might get some more soon. I like a bit of free compost!

Yummy, had something from the Chip shop tonight- on the way home from school, CBC said he hadn't had lunch so I persuaded him to pop in!

Been chatting a lot to one of my work colleagues by phone and Whatsapp- she's been going through some issues and it's really nice to be able to share and help out. Likewise, she (and her sister who I've got to know via phone) have been really kind and listened to me about the work dilemma etc.

CBC is having a small selection of work colleagues over for a socially distanced garden 'thing' tomorrow. I'm none-too-happy about it obviously, as well as the fact, I'll come across as the party-pooper as I always do with some of the more 'gregarious', young ladies who generally make me feel hideously uncomfortable. I'm just not that type of smoker/drinker/social butterfly and it just makes me awkward. I always get on with the older people. Tempted to just hide inside.  Hope they don't stay for very long.

S and I, the PE coach, are taking our Keyworker bubble and we're going to repeat the 'science' experiment tomorrow. We've had a few laughs and I had the great pleasure of mortifying him by beating him in the 'How many star jumps can you do in 30 seconds?' data handling lesson last week!  No one in the room, least of all myself, was expecting me to beat him but there you are. He was sweating today when I was doing the Beanbag challenge as it looked like I might beat him again. Luckily for him, I just missed getting one more than him!
I taught him a game I played at primary school which he's adapted into a really fun game which we played with the children yesterday.

We went to see kittens last Saturday....we may get some....

We saw my Mum, sister and niece last Saturday. It was lovely to sit in my sister's garden chatting on her (humph, grr) new fake grass.

My lovely Nasturtiums, sent by the lovely Ann, have started to germinate!

Hope you are well.

Here endeth the waffle.
xx

13 comments:

  1. I feel for you about having to travel and share some space with selfish people who don't wear a mask or wear them improperly. My daughter saw a woman who had a hole cut out of her mask where her mouth is because she said she couldn't breath. What an idiot...

    I'm glad that you had a nice visit with your sister and mother. I had a short visit with my daughter today and we sat at social distance on the seat swings in the gazebo to get out of the heat. She had come to water her garden. We got a good downpour this evening and I'm so happy. The lawn was turning brown.

    You should not feel uncomfortable in the company of those gregarious ladies. You are an amazing person and don't let fear spoil your evening. I hope that they notice your beautiful gardens and your new home. Just be yourself and and make the best of the situation. I hope that you get at least one nice person to talk to.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. In japan you have to wear a face mask wether you like it or not, you get fined if you don’t.
    And JR lines won’t let anyone on their trains if your not wearing one. Infact your not allowed anywhere without one.
    I finally went back to work, my boss kept asking if I was ok, and if anyone was coughing or sneezing he asked them to leave! He’s a funny guy. But life he is returning to normal, more people are returning back to their offices, parks and attractions are reopening, but all festivals are off for the time being, which is a shame. I love a summer festival.
    We missed the Sakura festival which is lovely and the food festival in uneo Park, but I understand.
    I get to face time my parents daily, even after All this time they still don’t get the time difference. I am hoping flights resume soon and that bloody government of yours get a grip of covid. Instead of playing cat and mouse with it.
    Take care and keep safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're very brave for confronting strangers on the train. I don't know how the government expect the rule to be enforced, public transport workers and the police are over stretched already and after months of being told that masks made no difference whatsover to catching (or spreading) Coronavirus I can't really blame people for not taking the rules seriously.
    Having had the pleasure of meeting you in real life I know what a friendly and lovely person you are. being one of those drinking types I must admit that I used to feel awkward in the company of non-drinkers on social occasions feeling that I was being judged. In reality all of us want to be liked and drinking is neither here not there, they're going to be so grateful that you've been kind enough to invite them over. Relax, wear something fabulous and enjoy the evening! xxx
    PS After admiring a friend's Body Smoothing Non-Wired M&S bralette I tracked down an ebay seller who sells them (with the tags removed) I rarely wear a bra but this is flesh coloured an dperfect under sheer stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FAKE GRASS?!!! I would have gone off on one.
    Yes, I'm with you on mask wearing, I hate that some people feel like it's too much bother - they shouldn't be given any care by the nhs if they come down with the virus as they couldn't be arsed to do their bit.
    I'm still adverse to seeing anyone or going anywhere I don't have to. The rules are too confusing and I think social gatherings are completely unnecessary (and always have been) so it's kind of weird for your husband to invite his chums to your garden if you're not keen. Or maybe take one of your walks and say you have a headache.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What happens to the chicks when they grow up, do they live in your school garden?

    Best of luck with the socially distanced thing, not my cup of tea either, someone the chap works with visited this week, thankfully they sat in the front garden and I stayed indoors. She did bring chocolate though, so not all bad news! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are FINALLY making masks compulsory on public transport from Monday here. Until now they've just advised people to wear a mask if it's too full to distance properly which hardly anybody actually did. I've seen so many full buses where only 1 or 2 people were wearing masks. I hope they all get the message and things are better next week since Jan is going into wirj some days now because he needs to use the lab. You're very brave telling people off on the train!

    I hope the gathering is okay. I do drink but I'm awkward around people I don't know well, especially if they all know each other and have common topics to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too don't like parties or anything where I don't know people. I can imagine how you feel. In your situation, I'd be tempted to have a "migraine" or to "feel sick" and stay indoors. But Mr FD iqs even less socially gracious than I am, so I doubt if I'd be put in such a position!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel for people who travel by public transport as so many people are not wearing masks...they don't in the supermarket either, drives me crazy!
    Hope it gets easier for you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kezzie, well done for speaking up on the train. It should be made very clear that it is compulsory to wear masks, the government have a lot to answer for in not being at all clear about the rules, and for not leading by example!

    And as for the smoking, drinking girls, they should be gracious in your garden. Don’t let them make you feel uncomfortable, you’re lovely and wonderful company. Vix is right, put on a fab outfit, and enjoy the evening with the people you do like and get on with. No one has the right to make you feel awkward especially in your own home. You can do it Kezzie, just imagine they’re on a train with no face masks!
    Oh, and fake grass? I guess it's for convenience, but still.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wearing a mask is compulsory on public transport here in Belgium, and that included platforms and station precincts. The public transport wardens can penalize people who aren't wearing one. I do think it's a shame that people in general aren't civilized enough to follow the rules. I have not been taking public transport, but I have spoken up when people haven't been following rules - including social distancing! - in shops and on the street. It's just driving me mad.
    I do hope CBC's socially distanced garden things goes well. I am a non-smoking, non-drinking, non-social butterfly girl myself, so I can imagine you feeling uncomfortable. But it's your home, so you get to decide on the rules! Pleased to hear the Nasturtiums have started to germinate, and fingers crossed you're getting one of those kittens. I've seen them on Instagram, and they're irresistible! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to get a bus this week and I didn't enjoy the experience. I found it super frustrating after making my own way to work on my bike a couple of times. I couldn't cope with being in a confined space that has air conditioning and sharing it with strangers. I'm sticking to the bike as much as I can from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wearing masks is so easy to do that it's aggravating when people don't. Mentioning it to them should be simple but turns out to create unpredictable situations. I commend your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've also been wondering what all the mask wearers should DO about those who are not wearing masks in places where they are supposed to -- esp. on public transport! I don't have any public transport of any type around me, but that would be such a concern. But there have been times in stores when I wanted to say something, but it's so awkward, and honestly -- I shouldn't have to! Why should we who wear masks be the ones who bear the onerous duty of confronting a stranger?
    I'm wondering if it would be better to begin a campaign of maskless photos: when we see a person maskless in a place where one is definitely required, we don't say anything; we just pull out our phones and take a photo of them without their mask and submit the photo to some online site to "turn them in." Sounds rather awful too, but maybe better than having to speak? I'm fed up with it too. Sorry you have to endure that each day!!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)