Monday, June 15, 2020

Style Imitating Art meets TARDIS Tuesday from the Crimson Horror

Today for Style Imitating Art, Salazar has chosen this wonderful picture entitled "Tripe Portrait of Charles II"- It is by Kehinde Wiley who many people might know because of the portrait he did of President Obama (Oh how I miss Obama- when will the Trump reign of doom end? And I'm not even American!).  His paintings, Salazar writes, feature black people posing in the style of the Old Masters.  This one is, of course, a nod to Van Dyck#s Charles I in Three positions.
Kehinde Wiley’s “Triple Portrait of Charles II“,
To my shame, I don't know the original painting, but I LOVE this one! The amazing floral background, the fantastic silver embellished anoraks (I think?!) on the model. It's so powerful and modern!

I'll talk you through my Sartorial choices:
I began with this blue foliage-print playsuit from Urban Outfitters.  It's a screen accurate Clara Oswald piece. It seemed to nod to the background of the picture very well... in my opinion.
Underneath it, I wore a black cut-out detail t-shirt bought secondhand but from Tu at Sainsbury's. I thought it was nice to have the cut out detail too- since the black frame  is so embellished.
Next, I wore my silver Aztec eagle necklace as Clara wears hers with the playsuit but also, silver and blue feature highly in the painting so I thought it was very appropriate.
At this point, I thought of a brooch I bought from a vintage shop in Portobello road in very shiny silver metal which is hammered into shape which features 3 musicians which I thought worked quite nicely as a nod to the 3 figures of the man as well as the silver.
I was going to add my silver sequin ballet pumps but after rifling in every possible place, I've not got a clue where they were. Instead I wore my Gold Toms shoes as the gold is fairly neutral and would make a nod to the metallic elements without clashing, since the brooch is so small and far from the shoes.
Finally, I added this cute little vintage shoulder bag.  It is covered in tiny silver/pewtery coloured beads and goes with the light holiday vibe!

And would you like to see how this ties in with TARDIS Tuesday?

Image borrowed from ClaraOswaldcosplay.com

Minus tights and cardigan, the outfit is pretty similar!
Head over to Salazar on Wednesday to see how everyone else interpreted it!

Added:
Please go and see my friend Mike's outfit for this.  His post is wonderful!


5 comments:

  1. Wonderfully thought out outfit, Kezzie! I feel like you really captured the true colors and patterns of the painting with your outfit and accessories! A great job!

    Haha, I had to laugh at your question there! I wish I knew (hopefully in November!)! Feels more like 40 years than 4 (and I'm not even that old!)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That artwork is absolutely fantastic, it should be an album cover.
    Love your interpretation with the blues and metallics. That vintage brooch couldn't be more you. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That painting is sublime, and I agree with Vix that it could have been an album cover! Your interpretation is very inventive. It's lovely to see the playsuit making another appearance and those metallic accessories are brilliant! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interpretation! The colours, patterns, and texture are really lovely.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you need Finance? Are you looking for Finance? Are you looking for finance to enlarge your business? We help individuals and companies to obtain finance for business expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get finance at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this finance for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com whats-App +918929509036 Dr James Eric Housing Finance Pvt Ltd Thank

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)