Thursday, February 22, 2018

10 new skills I'd like to learn

There are so many amazing things to learn in this world!  There are many of these I would love to have the time to master or even try! 
Here are a few things I would like to be able to do:

1.Learn to speak Greek and Arabic.  I really like Greek from what I have already learnt and since I am of Greek Descent (Grandmother), it would feel a nice testament to her to actually be able to speak it well.  Arabic would be a useful language I feel. 

2.  Learn to use a sewing machine and actually make a dress. I have Dalek and Fox material that is waiting to be used!

3. Be confident cycling alone and taking my hands of the handlebars to indicate I am turning in a direction.  I would also like to be able to cycle in a circle as I get scared every time I try it!

4. Learn to grow courgettes. I have not succeeded thus yet.

5.  Create a beautiful mosaic.

6.  Learnt to knit and crochet. I would like to make myself a Tom Baker scarf, a Sarah Jane Smith jumper but I fear I am too cack-handed for this!

7.  Become less of a relucant Baker. I really don't like making cakes or biscuits. But I think it would be beneficial if I were able to do so.


What would you like to learn?


17 comments:

  1. Find a copy of "cute and easy crochet" by Nicky Trench. It is a brilliant book for anyone who wants to teach themselves this craft

    ReplyDelete
  2. courgettes grow themselves. Get a small pile of horse poo in your garden (I know it's a bit grim), germinate your courgette on a windowsill and only plant it out when it's BIG enough and looking strong and when the weather is good and warm as frost will kill it. They will enjoy plenty of water. Mine grow like crazy - I'm sure you will manage it this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I germinated them in my shed on its windowsill and the plants got bigger and grew flowers etc, except they seemed to just be male flowers, not female and none of them fruited!

      Delete
    2. That's happened to me before. You probably just got unlucky with your seeds. Buy some more and try again they are the easiest things to grow and harvest.

      Delete
    3. I forgot to say, I'm determined to learn how to swing dance this year.

      Delete
  3. Great list! I want to learn Ukrainian because my grandfather was Ukrainian but it's difficult to find course or resources. Most places only do Russian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. knitting is relatively simple Kezzie, but I suggest you don't start with a scarf - because you'll be bored silly by the end of it and won't want to pick up needles ever again. I'd start with the jumper - it'll be more of a challenge for sure, but you'll get a great sense of achievement.
    I'd like to successfully grow any veg - apart from herbs which basically do their own thing if you water them every so often I've never managed to grow any food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grow courgettes every year and I just buy the plants at a plant nursery and I've also planted the seeds right in the ground with great results. They need a warm soil in a sunny location and plenty of compost manure before planting and they also need to be well watered once they start blooming.

    The courgettes grows fast and to keep them producing they need to be picked three times a week.

    There are plenty of information on the web and also some Youtube videos.

    The Tom Baker scarf although very long would be easy to do. It just straight knitting all the way. It would take a lot of yarn. Have you looked online. There are tutorials for just about everything under the sun.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to learn Welsh but haven't got very far yet. I too would like to learn how to master my sewing machine. It used to be my Mum's but apart from taking it home, I haven't done anything about it yet. I think I just need some time! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crochet and get the confidence to use my Singer sewing machine.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, I'm confused. You titled this "10 things ..." but you listed 7. You need three more, haha!
    Well, At some point in the past decade I crossed an invisible line and accepted the fact that I will NOT get around to learning and doing and seeing all the things I long to, in this life, and I'll simply have to wait until eternity to see all of the Earth and do all those things.
    I'd like to travel. And I'd like to enjoy traveling again. I loved it in my 20s. Now I dislike leaving home.
    I long to be a grandmother :)
    You should take up knitting or crocheting, truly. Pick one or the other. It's lovely for passing time in the evening, and it's quite rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I lived closer, we would be knitting together all the time! Youtube has a ton of video instructions for nearly everything.
    I've been slowly (very slowly) learning Latin from an app called Memrise. The app is great. My brain - not so much.
    I'm intrigued by Dalek fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't tried planting courgettes, but my grandmother is very good at it, and I know I watered hers on a number of occasions so maybe I can ask her for tips.

    I would love to learn all the things you listed here besides cycling in circles because I think I already know how to do that...but I need to work more on cycling in traffic. I only cycle in nature, I'm a bit afraid of the traffic and urban environment to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to learn to be better with my sewing machine, and how to do better lino prints!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like to learn bricklaying so I can finish a job Andy started in January 2017, and I'd like to learn tiling to tile my pantry floor. I tiled a small window sill when we moved in but a floor seems more daunting.
    I'd like to learn embroidery, crochet (which I did do but haven't done it for so long...), and I'd like to learn how to shoot, or perhaps archery - for when the zombies attack!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm useless at pretty much all of these - I've never grown anything edible, made anything pretty, and I cant ride a bike at all - but I LOVE to bake sweet and tasty things! cakes and biscuits are some of the best things to bake because they are so good to eat when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Courgettes were one of the first vegetables I grew and we were inundated! Not bad for a beginner, hehe.

    I want to be able to knit properly, so I can finish the cardi I started in about 2005!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)