Monday, March 13, 2017

Circumnavigating the UK - Day 10- Guernsey St Peter's Port

It struck me back in January writing my South Africa posts, that I never did finish my series on my cruise circumnavigating the UK. I did consider leaving it but since I had already put the photos into a blog post, that I would like to be able to read this in the future.

So forgive me for this being 7 months late...

We arrived at Guernsey and it was an anchorage so we had to sign up for tenders (boats) to the port.

Mum and I headed out fairly early but not amongst the first most eager beavers and found ourselves on land.  We didn't have any particular plan in mind, just decided to have a little explore and see what we could find.

I dressed suitably nautically in a Navy sailor top and striped skirt.
Although these photos don't look particularly bright, it was a warm and sunny day.
The marina was full of all sorts of sea-vessels.

Mum and I were both glad of our hats.

We decided to walk right away from the marina and explore in hope that we might find a beach to paddle on.  There seemed to be a sort of area with a lido created with the sea. It looked a bit deserted and none-too-salubrious but later when the sun really hotted up, we  saw children jumping in having lots of fun.

As we walked along, very soon, we came to signs for an Aquarium.  As a bit of respite from the sun, we opted to head in.
It was nice to see the different creatures within the Aquarium though it wasn't the most exciting place ever.
It is remarkably hard to photograph fish in that sort of lighting. These are the best of a rather shoddy lot.

This rather rotund fellow had really attractive sparkly scales which I wish I could have captured better.


These clown-fish are just so cartoonish, aren't they!!! Not surprised Nemo became one of those.

Not sure what this little fellow was, but he sure has an impressive set of whiskers!

This lizard was so still.  He turned his eye to look at me once but then just sat there as still as can be.
So many lizards..
After that, we headed to the kiosk nearby to buy some ice-creams and went and sat down by the cove.It was very stony and not really paddleable as there were lots of treacherous rocks, it is a pity.

At this point, I decided to hunt for seaglass and shells and created this arrangement.  Mum also looked for shells. We are always so content beachcombing. I could have done this for much longer.

I debated leaving it for passers-by as an art-gift but decided I liked my finds too much.  Sooo.... Mum and I decided to do a 5-minute beach collage to leave.
Mum made this delightful mermaid. I loved how she found flesh-coloured stones for her skin and seaweed for her hair.
I made a simple heart.
And then we left them for the public.

You can see that natural seawater lagoon I talked about earlier.
After this, we began a walk along the cliffs but Mum was rather tired so we headed into the town and found somewhere for milkshakes.  After this, we tried to find a paddling beach but it seemed we would have to walk for miles so she walked back to the boat and I mooched around for a bit in town.

Eventually, I joined Mum back on the boat and we went in the pool and jacuzzi on board. I had a great laugh chatting with a few people in there!  Lots of people were encouraged to come to the pool by our raucous laughing.

In some ways,  I wish we'd caught a bus to one of the glorious sandy beaches I heard tell of but our adventures were pleasant as they were.

That evening, we had a Gala dinner. I'll tell you more about that soon.

I'd like to visit Guernsey again.

Have you visited Guernsey?

xx

15 comments:

  1. Great post! A lot of thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guernsey looks delightful...another place I've yet to discover. I love your beach art, how thoughtful to leave it for other beach goers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad's ancestry came off the coast of Guernsey. That's all I was told.
    Your mom is quite artistic with a seashore ctration.

    You look almost like a mermaid in that nautical outfit. Very lovely on you.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:16 pm

    I'd love to go there , and to Jersey.
    We are considering a cruise around the British Isles but I am rather worried about rough waters, even if you take something for motion sickness it can still be miserable if the sea is rocky. What is your opinion on this? JanF
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, you can read the blog post http://kerenzaallin-garner.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/circumnavigating-uk-lost-at-sea.html I wrote about the day we had to stay at sea as it was too rough to anchor off the isle of Skye (we also had to miss out Tobermory on the Isle of Mull because of the stormy weather- went to Liverpool instead>).
      The day we spent at sea was pretty horrible in the afternoon- we did feel a ill and a bit miserable and lots of people felt it worse but the rest of the time we were lucky. I was most disappointed about not being able to stop at Skye or Mull more than the feeling of illness so much- the Scottish sea can be pretty rough!

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos! The boats look so cheerful!
    Your mum's mermaid is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your beach art - such a nice idea to make something and leave it to be found by others. I spent a week in Guernsey about 20 years ago(!!) I remember it being lovely but, yeah, the nice beaches are a bit further from St Peter Port. Still, it's a lovely place to relax and look at the boats.

    Liz x
    Distract Me Now Please

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your nautical outfit is adorable, Kezzie, and I wouldn't have been able to leave those lovely shells and seaglass behind either. Well done on the beach heart. Jos and I once passed a heart made out of shells, with the creators' initials. We cheekily changed the initials to ours ;-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guernsey looks lovely. Your outfit is fab and the shell arrangements are utterly wonderful. You don't half look like your lovely mum! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't worry, it is never too late for a lovely travel post. I remember your cruise posts and I really enjoyed them...so reading about day 10 is just perfect!

    I really like your outfit. That striped top is a lovely match with that maxi skirt...you look lovely!

    look at the sunshine at these pics...you make me miss Summer!

    Beautiful photos...love your shell decor:) that mermaid is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos as always Kezzie, the views looked gorgeous and I loved the shots you got in the aquarium - love the clown fish! And look at all of those sea-glass finds! Loved your Mum's mermaid and the seashell heart too. - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always wanted to visit Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man... and never did :( But who knows, one day and so good to see it here! I love aquariums and yes, I could spot Nemo there :) Sooo sweet! I also loved the shells you got and the art work you and your mum left to people to see, really artistic and beautiful! I really hope you go there again, and by the way, better late than never - I loved your post, dear Kezzie! Hope you have a very nice week!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never been to any of the Islands. Graham has never been too keen, but I'm hoping he'll change his mind. Love the fact you left your art for others to enjoy.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved Guernsey when we visited a few years ago.
    Loved all of your photo's

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE your travel posts :) Those photos of the fish are really beautiful. Oh, how I wish for a good, hot, sunny day right now! And because of this post, I shall stop on the way to work for an ice cream cone. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)