Sunday, March 13, 2016

Restorative beauty

 Hello there,

I hope you are well.
The sun shone beautifully today. I've had a rare weekend without any particular plans and that was good for me.  Despite this, I haven't wanted to blog. I found out on Friday, that a dear family friend who I count as a close-aunt, only has weeks to live. She's the lady who helped me make my dalek costume and has featured in my life since my birth, a church friend who is involved in theatre, music, dancing, all sorts. I went to see her on Friday and she didn't actually tell me the bit about how she only has a certain amount of time, she told me that she had tumours all over her body. My mum told me when I spoke to her later. It was such a shock and I can scarcely believe it. She's only just found out as her GP has just been telling her she's anaemic or it's the aftermath of a virus she had 2 years ago,  when she's been feeling really unwell, I've never been in that situation before where someone close to you has been told that they only have weeks. It is a great shock. She has always been there.  Part of me refuses to accept and I will continue to pray that the situation can be changed. I had a friend whose child had a serious heart-condition which bamboozled the experts by vanishing inexplicably, so I know there might always be hope.  She was remarkably chipper and cheerful as I visited her which is testimony to her strength.

Anyway, as I arose very late today, I felt like I really wanted be outside. I know that spending time outside with trees,grass, flowers and leaves tends to ground me and makes me feel like I am alright with the world again.

I popped into the garden where my new neighbour (who I met yesterday) was just coming in from some gardening next door. We had a chat and then I decided to mow the lawn whilst I had the chance, knowing that I would not be able to do it for a few weekends.

Before I did it, I went to look at and see what was beautiful.

 This beautiful shrub has suddenly burst alive with miniature white blossoms all over.

 When I moved, my bike with lavender was looking all dead and miserable but it has suddenly erupted with new foliage.
 Even the holly was sparkling and new.
 More daffodils had come to trumpet the herald that Spring is coming or has come.
 I never fail to be delighted by them.
 Even their proud leaves make me smile.
 This lot were making an escape bid.
 Hello there.
 Looking back towards the house, I was quite warm in the sun.
Eventually, I left my explorations and began the hard work. I've never mowed such a large lawn before.

It's one of those jobs that snowballs.

I needed to mow on a higher blade setting because the grass was quite long.  Half way down the garden, I noticed the inordinate amount of dead leaves that were scattered over most of the edges of the lawn.
I then raked the lawn and collected up leaves in the wheelie for about half an hour. There are still loads! 
Then I noticed the fern-tree and various shrubs were lolling all over the grass.  So I then pruned and hacked at those for a while.

Eventually I returned to the lawn and then went round the whole again on a lower-blade setting and finished it. I emptied the grass-box about 6 times.


 The wheelie was full as well as both compost bins.
 And the garden looked beautiful.



I felt calmer, more restored and happier. It made me more productive and I continued inside, emptying all the boxes of books bar 2 onto the book shelves, hoovering, cleaning the bathroom, kitchen, doing 4 loads of washing. dusting, folding washing. 
I am so grateful for this sunny day. It doesn't make sadness go away but all things look less bleak with a sunny perspective.

Sending you best wishes and blessings.


xxx

26 comments:

  1. Now you know why I love working outdoors in the gardens and yard. It alway brings me some joy and it does ground me too. Your flowers are beautiful sign of Spring and those tiny flowers on the bush looks like white heather.

    I'm so sorry about your dear aunt. Such a sad situation... She must be in a lot of pain to only have a few weeks to live. She must have been so pleased of your visit though. Having support and prayers from a love one is balm for the sick. It was to me when I was going through chemo for cancer.

    Big hugs dear Kezzie.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, Kezzie. I hope the doctors are wrong.
    You did SO much this weekend! Wow! The garden looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about your friend. You have found the perfect tonic in your gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's terrible news, very sorry to hear it. I'm glad you were able to enjoy some time outdoors and have a productive day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kezzie...
    I'm so sorry to hear of the illness of your close friend. And yes there is always hope! I'm glad that you had some time out in your lovely new yard enjoying the sunshine and getting some work. Being from Ohio, I understand about mowing yards of thick grass! And it always made me feel good! Your daffodils are lovely and really enjoyed seeing the view of your yard. I'll be saying prayers for you and your friend. Have a blessed week <3

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your spring is certainly springing over there, how lovely. And great job on the lawn, mowing is one of my least favorite things due to allergies. Very sorry to hear about the sad news but equally happy to see the hope you still hold out. Thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love and prayers, Kezzie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear your sad news Kezzie but good to hear she was in good spirits and that you were able too visit.

    Your garden looks gorgeous, I'm not surprised you're taken with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear the sad news. :( Hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The grounding effects of being outside can't be denied. I'm so sorry to hear this sad news of your friend. The knowledge that our loved ones won't always be with us is hard enough but the reality of it is harder still. I hope you get the chance to spend more time with her, but more than that I hope your prayers are answered.
    Your garden looks lovely, daffs never fail to brighten the darkest of days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend / aunt, it is terribly sad news.
    Doesn't it feel great to get outside though. I had a very similar day yesterday, pottering in the garden, preparing for what will hopefully be a beautiful summer. Your garden looks lovely, I wonder what other surprises it has in store for you x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear about your friend. An old friend of mine just found out he has lymphoma, after eating healthy and always exercising. So you never know - just need to enjoy each day as it comes. Being outside and working hard are just the ticket to appreciate our time here on earth (but I'm exhausted reading about how much you did!). Your new garden is lovely - I'm glad you're enjoying it! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry about your friend. Appreciating and delighting in the small things are what makes life beautiful. One never knows what is around the corner. Your new garden is lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sending you a big hug Kezzie. It is so hard to lose someone who holds such a special place in your heart. It was good that you were able to recognise a need to be outdoors, you have such a lovely and peaceful looking garden. I will keep your dear adopted aunt in my prayers and that she will be cocooned in the love and peace of Christ xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry to read of your dear friend's illness. Times like this it becomes almost necessary to strip life back to the bare bones and relish each day, wonder in nature's beauty and just enjoy each breathe. Thinking of you and your friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. So very sorry to read about your dear 'Aunt's' illness sending positive thoughts and prayers.

    You were so busy in your garden and it looks lovely, the daffodils and bike with lavender .. I particularly like that.

    I do hope the OFSTED inspection went well ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry to hear about your dear friend's illness it must have been such a shock for you all. Your garden is looking wonderful we are always amazed how much better the garden looks after the lawn has been cut. Thinking of you. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry to hear your news about your friend. It sounds as if being outside in nature helped - maybe on a subconscious level regarding the cycle of life.
    I hope the garden will be a source of comfort to you as well as giving you alot of joy.

    http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. yes, there is always hope. My husban's nephew who is a pediatrician told us about two children who miraciously got better, they were both born with a heart defect ( a serious one, it runs in the family) but by some miracle, they both got cured in one night! If he wasn't there himself, doing the heart tests, he wouldn't believe it himself.

    I'm so sorry for what happened to your friend, I know that it must be a great shock, finding out all of the sudden...but as you said, we must hope and live on. Lovely photos, seems like the Spring has arrived...It is good that you're feeling more calm, that's always good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mummykins7:16 pm

    The garden looks fabulous and I am still so jealous about it!! I hope you are going to grow vegetables. Is there a part that could be dug for this?
    I visited Norma in hospital today and although she is very weak she was in remarkably good spirits to the point we could giggle about various things.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm very sorry to hear about your close friend! My thoughts are with you both. I can't believe that the doctors didn't realise sooner :/
    It sounds like you were really productive! And I love all of the flowers! Sometimes I find that's the best thing to do and sort of channel your feelings into something like that :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

    Your garden is looking lovely, that is a very big lawn to mow though! I find being out in the garden helps me sort myself out (hoeing weeds out of the gravel driveway is a great way to take out my frustrations).

    Sending you lots of good thoughts and love xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so very sorry to read such dreadfully sad news. My heart goes out to you all just now.
    A couple of hours out in the sunshine sounded like it was just what you needed.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sorry to hear about your friend. I've been a bit over-run recently and not visited all the blogs as often as I would like to. I'm so glad you find some solace in nature. Thank you for sharing x
    Anna
    Anna's Island Style

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sorry to hear about your friend. I've been a bit over-run recently and not visited all the blogs as often as I would like to. I'm so glad you find some solace in nature. Thank you for sharing x
    Anna
    Anna's Island Style

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous1:33 pm

    So sorry to hear about your friend Kezzie xxx

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)