Hello there!
Greetings on World Book Day, the day we celebrate reading and books- a day I love!
As usual, we dressed up at school to celebrate.
My costume is above and below. Can you guess who I am?
What if I say, "Send our love to Father!"
Ok, if you are not sure, I am Roberta/Bobby from E Nesbit's The Railway Children..
My costume consisted of:
Vintage Laura Ashley Edwardian style dress via Mummy
White Lace apron- Bruges shop
Velvet beret- Kangol via Charity shop.
Red flannel petticoat - handmade in Bali.
Snotty handkerchief- my own fair snot!
Red flannel petticoat tied to stick- vest top of my own plus xylophone beater
My petticoat was not QUITE right as it was far too low down but at least you could see it, my apron was the wrong style but it was what I had at home!Very very comfortable. I should wear this dress more often!
There were some super costumes at school and there was lots of effort made:
they included:
Hetty Feather (Jacqueline Wilson), Willy Wonka, The Mad Hatter, the White rabbit, The Queen of hearts, Paper bag Princess, Frankenstein, Matilda, Annie (she looked amazing!), Cruella De Vil, Belle from Beauty and the Beast, Mr Twit, Cleopatra, many Where's Wally?, Cats in hats etc..
This TA read through my costume ideas email sent to all staff and parents and she took the idea of 'George's Marvellous medicine' so she raided her son's clothes for a boy's red jumper and tied a medicine bottle and spoon to her belt!
I loved Hermione's Timeturner! She had a cute cuddly cat as Crookshanks as well!
One little girl said she came as a book about cats so we added this postit of 'TS Elliot's old possum book of cats' - I've been singing the Cats songs with the children this term.
How nice is the bottom of this girl's Dorothy skirt- I want one!
The nursery teacher made a super effort with her costume. Her children LOVE Norman the slug with the silly shell (see here) and she made her costume- the donut is brilliant and her orange headdress was amazing too- I didn't ask to share her face so I won't show it on here!
Cruella De Vil had laminated some dalmation pics for her earrings!
Ha, I love the simple idea of the Paper Bag Princess- if you don't know this story, it is a real feminist twist on the traditional tale as the Princess has to end up rescuing the ungrateful prince and this is a quote. The **** is for BUM!
This costume was amazing. She was Dustbin Baby by Jacqueline Wilson and had made a huge dustbin lid fascinator for her head with the title on and then this bin full of rubbish!
It was enormously fun and it was delightful to see the effort and to squeal with glee as you discovered yet another brilliant costume!
And since it is world book day- lots of people have been sharing their top 10 books so here are my top 6 (it's taking too long to decide on the rest!):
1. Tom's Midnight Garden- Phillippa Pearce
2. The Box of Delights- John Masefield
3. Northanger Abbey- Jane Austen
4. Five run away together- Enid Blyton
5. 44 Scotland Street- Alexander McCall Smith.
6. Perelandra- C.S. Lewis
Hope you are well!
xx
I knew who you were immediately! Brilliant outfit and something I can see you wearing again! x
ReplyDeleteI recognised your costume straightaway! a lovely book!
ReplyDeleteYayayay :D I got your costume before I read it ^_^ Uber proud :P You did an awesome job! :D Aww, hooray for world books day! I wish I had dressed up but I didn't realise it was coming :P (Nobody told us at Uni and I study a creative writing degree >.<) I really miss dressing up when I was a kid. Some of my favourite book characters include George from Enid's 'Five' series, Tip/Osma from the Oz books, Matilda and Luna Lovegood of course :D
ReplyDeleteI love the costumes you've shown from the kids ^_^ It must be a real perk of working in a school, days like this! :D xxx
I thought you were Tasha Tudor because she wore a red wool petticoat.
ReplyDeleteFav kids books:
Harriet the Spy
The Borrowers
Ballet Shoes
The Jolly Postman
The Hundred Dresses
Tales from the End Cottage
Haha oh what a bunch of sweet and silly folks, I love it :) I was wondering what the *** stood for and will take your word for it. Oh wait, I am literally taking your word aren't I? I thought perhaps you were Mary Poppins or an old time futbol referee. You did such a great job, I was just not familiar with the reference. Illiterate *** that I am. And perhaps the most important conclusion to draw from all this, you need orange tights like those pronto! Of COURSE there had to be tights :)
ReplyDeleteAww, you look amazing. I love your costume. xx
ReplyDeleteI knew straight away what it was - the red flannel flag gave it away. Such lovely photos. The dress was passed on to me in the 70s by Mamgu's best friend. I wore it a lot as so comfortable and now you wear it. It certainly has stood the test of time and such good quality fabric.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant costume and yes, I recognised who you were - I haven't read The Railway Children since I was about 7 - strangely, I was looking at it recently and thinking I should read it.
ReplyDeleteI love the Norman Slug costume - great fun (and a great book!!
Such a brilliant costume and lovely post.
ReplyDeleteSuch fun to join in with something like World Book Day.
Enjoy your weekend
All the best Jan
What a creative and imaginative lot of costumes. Your school had a fun day for World Book Day. I like your top 6 favourite books too.
ReplyDeleteExcellent outfit! I am so happy that people got into the spirit of the day with these charming costumes. Thanks for the photo gallery.
ReplyDeleteYay! What a great costume. The others are certainly very imaginative too. This is such a great thing to celebrate, sadly I can't get involved but it's been lovely to see all the costumes.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely wonderful costume ideas. So creative of everyone.
ReplyDeleteS is feeling a bit too 'grown up' to go in a costume so she went as Ivy from My Sister the Vampire, black leggings, stripy black and green tshirt, one of my rings worn as an amulet round her neck and pencils in her hair for the wooden stakes.
Lisa x
I knew exactly who you were! Fab costume :)
ReplyDeleteI've been a wee bit lax here on blogger, we've been classic car shopping, Belle has been poorly and I have had, well have, the worst headache on top of everything else which broke me :(
xxx
How great it is to celebrate this day! I wish we did it here as well.
ReplyDeleteI loved your costume, you look absolutely charming...I must admit that I didn't recognize it as I'm not familiar with that character.
Loving so much commitment from all the staff to get involved in World Book Day. I wish my teachers had shown such a sense of fun in my day! You look adorable as ever Kezzie x
ReplyDeleteAnna
I think you might be the best teacher ever! So fun to see "The Paper Bag Princess." That was always a favorite book at our house.
ReplyDeleteYep, I recognised your costume immediately! Great choice. :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you for stepping by my blog! :-)
~ Naomi
Wow, some really clever costumes here!
ReplyDeleteI knew who you were :-)
(Catching up on blog reading - apologies for the many comments!)