Now, I shall segue somewhat clumsily into my main point. I went out on a Charity-shop crawl with my flute friend A and her friend K. A is the one who introduced CBC and I so I have a lot to thank her for. We'd met up some weeks prior and she'd told me about the good choice of charity-shops in and around Chelmsford and the village where she lives. I arrived at hers at 1pm and we set off down the hill to the first shop, a Farleigh Hospice shop. Inside, there were a fair few nice items to be had, at non-ridiculous prices and a pound rail. I left with 3 items and K left with 3, A with none. We headed next to Moulsham Street, a nicer shopping street in Chelmsford that I'd not encountered and found an Essex Animal Charity, Barnados and 2 others. The first of these was great as there was a £1.25 rummage basket in which I found 4 items. A couple of them were a little more expensive and we didn't find anything in particular. We were definitely steaming along and managed to accomplish all four within the 1hour parking limit.
Next, we drove to Moulsham Precinct where we found 2 more shops in which I found one item a-piece. A did well with 2 items including one I found her on the pound rail (bunny t-shirt, she owns 12 of them!) and K got some lovely duvet covers that were brand new.
Finally, we headed over to Great Baddow where one charity shop hid within a slightly grottier estate than the rest of the town. I hit the book jackpot there, scoring 4!
Finally, we headed back in the car, back to A's for tea, biscuits and cake and copious bunny cuddles with Dudley the bunny. Eventually, CBC gallantly returned to drive me home. We'd had a good afternoon.
"Yes, yes, yes..." I hear you cry impatiently, "But what did you BUY????"
Oh very well, as you asked so nicely. No vintage amazingness sadly, unlike the wilds of Walsall and Sheffield alla Curtise and Vix, there seems to be a real dearth of vintage clothes, whether they end up in the rag-bag like Curtise's shop or just have been snapped up by London Vintage dealers, who knows?
Apologies for making everything look like a sack of potatoes- I am not sure how to photograph clothes off my body!

From top left, clockwise:
1. Emily and Fin polka dot top. Like Pom-pom, I love red polka dots,not bad for £1.25.
2. Ryoko Shite (snigger) mini dress. £1.25. Unusual!
3. River Island teal sequin midi skirt. £2.99. I almost didn't buy this as I worried it was too eveningy to get enough use but the others went on at me.
4. Dolce and Gabbana stripy shirt: £1.25: I really like the red, blue and white stripes on this- not obvious from my heinous photography.

5. Top Shop Tapestry mini-skirt. £4. I actually stalked this very skirt on Ebay which someone was flogging for £20! I wanted one but no way was I going to pay that!
6. Men's floral shirt £1.25. I picked this up for CBC as he likes this type of thing!
7. Ladies Bow tie. 50p. This might be vintage as it has an 80's look around it but I'd been looking at these on ASOS for around £4 so I was glad to get this one!
8. Another book in the Carola Dunn Cornish mysteries series like the one I gave to Janet.
The Piano teacher. Looks interesting. Both 50p

My booty in the last shop was this set of FOUR Railway Detective Books. I have so far found three of these in previous charity shop adventures and I have loved all of them so I was really excited to find another four to read. All £1 each!
So for about £17, I had a fun afternoon and got some lovely items. Today, I took three massive bags to one of the local charity shops and I have been tidying. I have decided that I want to ban myself from any shopping for Lent and ideally beyond for all but basic food so this is my final splurge.
Have you been been to a charity-shop recently? Found anything you liked? Do share if so.
xxx
You did really well on your Charity shop shopping spree. Not bad for having a fun afternoon with friends. You're so wise to cull your clothes to make more room for the new stuff. They do take a lot of space.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to see you model your purchases some day.
I haven't been to the charity shops much this winter but I've managed finding some useful household items three weeks ago.
My teapot and my Britta water filter were cracked and needed replacing and i was lucky to find a tea pot, a brand new Britta water filter, wool skirts for hooking my rugs and a large Crock Pot slow cooker and two cookbooks.
It always feels good to come home with some treasures.
Have a fun weekend.
Hugs,
JB
Love the red polka dot top and I saw one of those railways books at the opticians (along with the magazines) and it caught my interest (those stickers on the covers make me twitchy!) but even though I jotted down the author, I cannot recall where I wrote it and had forgotten about it until now.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been to a charity shop in an age, but want to rectify that soon as we passed through a pretty town the other week which seemed awash with non-chain charity shops but I was feeling a little blue and couldn't be bothered to get out of the car for a look xxx
Your treasures look great - will look forward to seeing them in combos soon… I found a lovely Next jumper for just £3 on Wednesday in a Salvation Army shop in Edinburgh just down from the restaurant I was raving about and a cracker wee bracelet the day before in Glasgow. But as we drove through E'burgh city centre (pics to follow) on our way to Falkirk yesterday I was having palpitations cos there was no time to stop and sooooooo many great looking charity shops. Could've spent a great afternoon.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant buys. I am not allowed to buy at the minute, just donate - still shoe-horning our stuff into a smaller house. I must check out my CS box, I suspect there is a railway detective in there waiting to be donated. If so I will send you details in cas eit is one you don't have!
ReplyDeleteYou did well and such cheap prices. I'm hoping to go op shopping tomorrow if the rain isn't to heavy after this cyclone.
ReplyDeleteYou did well! I always think a chazzathon with your girlfriends is the best therapy ever - lots of chat and laughs, and some bargains to boot, you can't go wrong.
ReplyDeleteI love the sequin skirt (who says sequins have to be worn in the evening anyway?) and you will look amazing in the tapestry mini. Ryoko Shite made me laugh, an unfortunate name for a cute dress!
You know me, I'm in and out of charity shops all the time, and always find something. I think it's an addiction, but I'm OK with that! xxx
What a tremendous result! Loving the sequinned skirt and that dandy floral shirt. How good to get the skirt you'd lusted after previously, too!
ReplyDeleteI was ushered into the stockroom of a chazza in town yesterday with the opening words...you like weird, old stuff, don't you? xxx
I've been rushing in to drop bags of clothes off at the charity shops but haven't been allowing myself to browse, due to the spending ban.Well done on the sequinned skirt, and the pretty E+F polka dots!
ReplyDeleteNothing beats the anticipation of entering a different charity shop for the first time!! Mark and I were really successful during our short break on the south coast. I'm going to post about our finds in the next couple of days. Jx
ReplyDeleteSo your title stumped me - silly American that I am - but it intrigued me enough to keep reading and oh! You're talking about thrift shops. LOL! I envy people who have the patience and good fortune to find things at thrift shops. I always seem to come out with very little or, conversely, with quite a lot that, upon coming home, end up being not right for my closet's needs. That said, you make me want to try again; it's been ages since I've gone. And this Edward Marston looks interesting. Must research...
ReplyDeleteOh what brilliant bargains! I particularly like the pattern on the mini skirt but they are all so you! Good to hear you've cleared a space for them all too!
ReplyDeleteWell now that you mention it, I did find something....oh, wait, already told you. Nevermind :) That mini is going to be amazing on you and the lady bow tie is a hoot. Railway detective books, eh? Never tried them but it sounds like a cool genre. Charity shops, or their American name Flea Markets, are some of my fave places. xoxo
ReplyDeleteAll Things Bright and Lovely
I love the polka dots on red - I either come back from charity shops with mountains of clothes or with nothing. Sod's law.
ReplyDeleteLizzie Dripping
What a great haul! I haven't had a look in the charity shops here for ages... I always want to, but rarely have the opportunity - not that they ever have anything that fits me! The last thing I bought was a skirt, about a year ago!
ReplyDeleteThat sequin skirt is amazing!! Would it be too much paired with the bow tie, do you think? And a top, obviously! I've been trying to cut down all spending recently, but I'll hopefully be moving to an area with excellent charity shops in the next few months. Ooh! You and CBC will have to come and visit me :) xxx
ReplyDeleteAwww, I love that bow tie! I've got a real thing for bow ties, so I think that's pretty cool that you found one. Looks like you had a nice little shopping session and that sequin skirt is dazzling, love it! - Tasha
ReplyDeleteOh my days! You found some amazing finds! I absolutely LOVE the mini dress for £1.25 - what a bargain. We have very similar charity shop tastes, I would have dithered over the teal midi skirt too. HOWEVER, so glad you bought it! Imagine that with monochrome breton and a pair of court shoes! Perfect for date night. I went on a charity shop crawl on my own last week. Even took myself for coffee! xx
ReplyDeleteAwesome bargains! I love when you find something you've been looking for for ages! Although the sequin skirt is especially awesome :)
ReplyDelete£1.25 for that awesome Emily & Fin top is such a bargain! And I LOVE the sequin skirt, what a find. I love chazza shops but don't often have a huge amount of clothes-finding luck, they can be tricky for anyone outside of the size 10-12 'norm', I find.
ReplyDeleteI don't do as much thrift store shopping as I used to do. I still enjoy looking around, but don't purchase, now that I'm older, don't have kids to buy for, and have a smaller house. I have a new rule that if I buy something (generally), I have to get rid of something in the house. This keeps it under control! I wondered at first what the "pound rail" was ... and then I realized it was probably our equivalent of the "dollar rack." :)
ReplyDelete