Friday, April 24, 2026

Perfect Pitch

 Hey there!

Ah, it's such a beautiful, sunny day! I have had 3 great days of teaching in a row and then had PPA time from home this afternoon so I went to see my Godmother and spent a couple of hours with her. She's one of my favourite people in the world so this is always a joy! 

Now on my way home and hopefully a lovely weekend! 

I've not really been sharing many poems recently. I've been writing some but not necessarily sharing. 

This week's prompt word for The Toy was Pitch.  I was pondering which meaning to go with for this word and then it struck me that 'Pitch' is a homonym with so many meanings!  I'm sure we all know what a homonym is but in case anyone's forgotten their grammar, it's a word that is spelt and pronounced the same but has different meanings. There are some schools of thought that consider it can also be a homophone of homograph but I'm going with this! 

I decided to explore the many meanings but in conjunction with the word, Perfect as Perfect Pitch is something that some musicians have. I have learnt Perfect Pitch as in, I've played and sung so much music that I can tell you what a note is without looking or sing a specific pitch on request. 

It left me wondering which other words have such a plethora of meanings! Can you think of any? 


Perfect pitch


No instrument to help, 

"Sing me a C!" 

Voice in tune

Sang it perfectly


A meeting to promote your

 latest innovation,

The buyers all want it

Sales exceed expectation! 


Bowler approaches,

Lobs the ball 

Batter misses, 

Hits stumps, they fall. 


Football field mowed

Grass is pristine. 

Manys goals scored 

On this immaculate green 


The ideal spot

To sell your wares

The market's busy

Customers throng here and there. 


The roof slants 

At the exemplary height

Architect stands proud 

Built it just right! 


Tent's set by water 

Ground flat and soft, 

With sheltering bushes, 

Keeping wind off. 


All's set to succeed, 

To proceed without hitch, 

In these myriad examples 

Of Perfect Pitch! 


Hope you enjoy this poem. Also, do you think it was too long with 8 meanings (there Are more meanings for it too!) or should I have cut it down to perhaps 4 stanzas? 


Xx





11 comments:

  1. I like how you addressed so many meanings for the word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was amazed to realise as I wrote, just how many meanings there were!

      Delete
  2. Black and viscous... Don Maclean could have done a follow up song "tarry, tarry night"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm not sure I know more than one meaning for viscous!

      Delete
  3. Totally loved it!! I’m glad you had such a lovely afternoon and have a lovely weekend in sight xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you San! I did have a lovely weekend too!

      Delete
  4. You pitched it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boom, boom! You win the best comment prize! 😂

      Delete
  5. Loved this poem. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad you liked it!

      Delete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)