Wednesday, September 10, 2025

Daleks in Hexham!

On the 21st August, CBC and I travelled to Hexham to go and stay with and visit CBC's Mother as mentioned in my previous post.  
On the Saturday morning, we were going to head into Hexham but CBC and his Mum were taking ages so I decided to walk by myself and meet them later.
As I arrived and was passing the Queen's Hall, I needed the bathroom so I went in.  This was very serendipitous as there was a Doctor Who and Sci-Fi exhibition taking place in there which someone had told me about ages ago but I'd forgotten!

The exhibition was put on in conjunction with Neil Cole and his Museum of Classic Sci-Fi in Allendale which I visited a couple of years ago.

I got to snuggle up to a Dalek!

Neil has props and reconstructions from other classic Sci-fi films and series too.

Here are some  great Doctor Who baddies including Tzim Sha from Jodie Whittaker's 13th Doctor's debut episode, The Woman Who fell to Earth.

He's covered in teeth which are souvenirs from those he has killed!

And here are some costumes from Classic Who-  a sinister Daffodil man from Terror of the Autons, a Vervoid from A trial of a Timelord...

There were some costumes from The Sarah Jane Adventures, Torchwood and Doctor Who.

Here is a costume worn by Elisabeth Sladen and the blouse is currently unindentified... I was about 5 cm away from this and it was SOOOO tempting to reach out and try and see where the label was from. I didn't, of course, but I did email Neil Cole and ask him if he knew what brand it was.  He said the costume belonged to someone in Wales but put me in touch with him and hopefully, he might be able to have a look for me though he thinks it might have been cut out! I would love to be able to tell my friend Gretchen where it comes from as she has a blog dedicated to Sarah Jane's costumes!
Same with this pink blouse and vest-top!
Here's the line up of costumes.
Martha wore this in the Family of Blood!


Neil used to be an art teacher before he began the museum and many of the exhibits were made by himself and there are many of his illustrations too, like this one below!

 It was great to be able to be able to see all the exhibits and get SO close to them in excellent lighting! The museum itself, in Allendale is well worth a visit  if you are ever in Northumberland.


xx

7 comments:

  1. I bet you were in your element especialy with the costumes! How exciting tat you might gte to chat to te wardrobe person!
    Your outfit is very pretty! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine how excited you were!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stumbling across this exhibition was a true case of serendipity indeed. I bet you were thrilled to snuggle up to a Dalek and see those costumes up close! xxx P.S. Love your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic surprise. That's the best kind of serendipity, stumbling upon something amazing that you didn't even know was there.
    The exhibition looks incredible. It's so cool that you got to see so many classic Doctor Who props and costumes up close. It's especially neat that you spotted the blouse from The Sarah Jane Adventures and are trying to get to the bottom of the mystery for your friend. That's a true fan dedication right there. Thanks for sharing all the photos; it's like we got a mini-tour of the exhibit ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect exhibit for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such a wonderful surprise. The exhibition sounds interesting and I'm sure you've enjoyed it a lot. Hopefully you will find out the brand of the costume.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That illustration Neil did is really something. I love how colourful it is.
    Great exhibition on overall.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)