Saturday, June 14, 2025

12 creative uses for an empty medicine capsule

 The word for last week's Word of The Week for the Toy Press was 'capsule'.  Hmmmm, quite a tricky one to use. I did demur at first and wonder if this was my week to give it a miss but in 29 weeks of doing this, I think I've only missed one week so I was determined to come up with SOMETHING! I do keep thinking, every time I just try to write a poem without stimulus, that I have no plausible ideas, but inspiration just arrives. This morning, I bought my notebook downstairs with me just in case and reading Brian Bilston's birthday post today, inspired me to write a poem all about my own birthday. Took me 10minutes.

Last week, I thought about a Capsule wardrobe  and about a Space capsule and then that suddenly made my brain take a swerve into, what if the Capsule itself was part of your wardrobe? And that made me imagine a bee using a capsule as a space helmet and then it reminded me of the poetry workshop I took part in 2 years ago with my poet, musician acquaintance/friend, Kate Wakeling, where she used her own poem 10 uses for a pea to get us to write our own. I wrote and performed my own one during the workshop which everyone was v positive about and so I then started imagining all sorts of mini creatures using the capsule in some way, a bit like Mary Norton's Borrowers might, and the poem took flight. It was supposed to be an unrhyming list poem but somehow I noticed that several of the lines actually already had some rhyming suffixes so I adopted the second challenge of rhyming the lines. Later, I thought I'd have a go at doing some little illustrations to go with it. Admittedly a bit rushed, done on the train! 

I think, as far as I can tell, I was the only one who shared a Capsule poem on Insta so felt quite pleased with myself! 

Question : which use do you like best? 







6 comments:

  1. Travel box for small ear-rings, covers for ends of knitting pins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, realistic real ideas, rather then fantasy ones! Which fantasy one would you pick?

      Delete
  2. Potty for a baby worm!
    I love them all, in fact, and the accompanying doodles too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love all your drawings to go with this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Both the poem and the drawings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me laugh! I love your illustrations, you are clever! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)