Sunday, September 04, 2022

Will they, won't they?

When I used to live in my childhood home, we had a fig tree in the garden.  When I was the last inhabitant in the house (sister and mother had both moved out!), I grew to love that fig tree. Amazing, massive leaves and I tried the fruits as an adult for the first time and loved them!  They were really sweet, tasty and easy to eat though I had to compete with Mr Squirrel- I often shook my fist at him when I found them discarded with a bite out of them on the lawn! They always seem to be very expensive when fresh in shops so I really missed having that tree when I moved out.


Fast forward a few years and Mum gave me a small fig tree from Grandad's garden that he had grafted from cuttings from the original home one. 

We've had it in a pot for the last few years but never had any fruit. They never seemed to grow much. The one year, 2020, when it actually had 2 viable fruits on it, they dropped off in the heat when we were away. Last year, nothing grew.

This year, I noticed, fairly late, that there were quite a few embryo fruits developing.

Monty Don says that any Pea-sized fruits must be removed for Winter as they won't grow but I was hopeful, with the heat, that these might have a chance.

Here's a photo of a few of them.  They are still very small BUT, do you think there is any chance they will get bigger and ripen in time for me to FINALLY get to eat some?


It was lovely to pick ripe figs from the trees near our house in France. Will I get to picky my own?

Whilst I am here, here are some of the flowers currently in our garden. Most of the flowers have gone but we still have...

Purple Clematis.
Yellow roses.
Chilean Jasmine (We need to remember to bring this one in for Winter as last year's one got too cold outside!)


So, let's take your votes on the figs. They are about 4cm by 1.5-2cm-ish.... will they ripen and grow in time and if so, any tips to help them!??!

xx

9 comments:

  1. I hope you get to pick the figs. The flowers are pretty, especially the roses. 
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do hope you get figs sometime. We used to have our fig tree in the conservatory in Leicestershire. Every morning in the summer I'd have a fresh fig with my breakfast. Now the tree is in the garden...no figs since 2015 sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My rose bush died off in the heat and I thought we'd lost it, but it has recovered and is flowering well again. Yay! Not sure about the figs. Hope they do though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My aunt had a HUGE fig tree in her back yard and I loved eating them fresh. I had a cousin who made a wonderful fig conserve with them. I have no idea if it's too late for yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't give you any advice on the figs, Kezzie, but I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed. Quite envious of your purple Clematis and yellow roses. We've still got one or two things in flower, including a tiny flowered herbaceous Clematis and my sweet peas, which simply refuse to give up! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a fig and it has fruits, but never managed to get one that is ripen. They seem to go from green to off without any step in between. I am still hoping though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember climbing and playing on fig trees when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grow, figs, grow! I have no idea whether it's too late but I'm keeping everything crossed for you! After a few 19ish degree days it was back up to 27°C here today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. See the "Grow" section https://www.rhs.org.uk/fruit/figs/grow-your-own

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)