On lots of cold days, I wake up, having set out a cute outfit for school, decide I am too darn cold, tired and miserable to actually put it on (I am NOT a morning person) and slink into something comfy and loose (like today where I am wearing a bit baggy Breton-striped top, unironed, and trousers) or running too late to contend with multiple layers and garments and zips that require a grumpy, also-late husband to assist with.
But sometimes, you can hide those comfy baggy clothes under something cute!
On Tuesday, I set out this Closet floral dress to wear and found this White Stuff jersey blouse, which is rather loose-fitting and soft, in the pile of doom (AKA the old washing basket which now houses clothes which can be worn twice or more and are waiting their next turn to be worn). Add to that, Bamboo leggings and my Florentine blue leather boots and I had a winning combo which was comfy AND cute!
I didn't need any accessories except for the bee and daisy collar clips which my lovely penpal Katie bought me for Christmas a few years ago.

I got the absolute sweetest message from one of the parents the other day about how excited her son was to practice his recorder and how she's grateful for my hard work. Considering we'd only had 3 lessons on the recorder thus far, I thought this was really nice but surprising. Then, when releasing the year 3 children to their parents, another parent came up to me and said, "Thank you so much for all you are doing. A is really loving your lessons and you are giving him the confidence he lacks." Again, it's only 3 lessons so far and I've been uploading revision and practice activities to the Class Dojo area so the parents can access what their children are learning but the engagement on my Blog has gone up 10-fold (page views on those posts are around 80) so it's nice they are using it after my frustration that they weren't during lockdown. I know some of you were affronted on my behalf so I thought I'd tell you.
Today had some good moments. A little year 1 boy who was being a menace and refusing to sing the past 2 weeks in music, sang really loudly all lesson today and participated really well. That class is still challenging but I had the support of 2 really good TAs and it really helped us contain them! I'm glad I only have them for one lesson a week though!

One of my year 2 classes is really good now- even some of the children who have found music hard- have been concentrating SUPER hard for the entire hour and fifteen minutes of their lesson and learning and understanding what we did. There's a little boy who I call Dragon Boy (his name is basically a combination of the patron saint of England and his famous adversary which I find hilarious!) and he's always really struggled in music. Not for the last few weeks- TOTALLY focused! I feel euphoric every time I teach that class recently. It helps that the Alpha females in that class (yep, the class is ruled by two girls) absolutely adore music but the enthusiasm seems to carry through all of them.
Anyway, I hope all is well with you! Love to you and those you love!
xx
I'm so happy for you that people are expressing their appreciation. I think that one very positive thing that's come out of all of this *waves hands about* is that people are recognizing others who are working so hard to interact, teach and uplift others. Kudos to you, Kezzie!
ReplyDeleteNow, THAT DRESS! OMG, what a perfectly lovely dress! Layering your top and tights and boot is a perfect way to show it off (you could even put a jacket or jumper over it too!). You make me feel happy just looking at it.
PS - saw your comment - glad you enjoyed my Ugly Christmas Sweater! Ha!
What's a dojo area. I thought dojo was martial arts
ReplyDeleteYou look gorgeous, as always. I love that dress.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad your pupils appreciate all your hard work and the blog is finally being used.
Great outfit! Love the dress. Yes, life is hard now; I vote we get you a team of assistants to plan, organize and dress you in the mornings. And one to hand you a cup of tea. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm happy to hear about parents thanking you for your effort and your students doing well, studying and being motivated to learn about music. That's so precious. Teaching is hard but also so rewarding sometimes. I also absolutely love your pretty dress. The print and the cut is wonderful. I also like the leggings and boots you paired it with, proving that one can stay warm but still look dressed up.
ReplyDeleteYou know, I think dressing in pretty dresses is perfect when teaching younger kids. I read somewhere that colours and patterns are useful in stimulating kids' intelligence. I'm not working a school anymore, but when I did (not even a month ago after all) I would put an effort to wear nice printed dresses because the kids were always so happy when I wore them. They seem to particularly like cherry and floral prints and bright colours.
That's a really pretty outfit - I love the boots too. How lovely that you have a job that you are passionate about - those kids are lucky to have all that energy focused their way :)
ReplyDeleteThe teacher who won teacher of the year was on BBC Breakfast this morning, she reminded me of you, so lovely, genuine and with a real passion for her career!
ReplyDeleteThat dress is lovely with the blue top underneath and your fabulous Docs but the best accessory of all is your beautiful smile. xxx
I'm loving your layered outfit, Kezzie, which is proof that cute and comfortable can be combined in one outfit! You are such a dedicated teacher, and you certainly deserve all the praise bestowed on you! xxx
ReplyDeleteYou look like a happy ray of sunshine. I can see satisfaction in your smile. Congratulations on your teaching skill. A real gift from our Creator, no wonder the parents are thankful. Keep on using your gift for God's glory.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your weekend.
Hugs, Julia
That's a great outfit. The pattern and colours of the dress are really lovely.
ReplyDeleteDo you think the current situation has made the kids more appreciative of being at school? It's lovely that they are all working hard and concentrating, and it must be so rewarding for you with all the hard work you put in.
xx
It's always nice getting appreciation for what we do. I certainly appreciate ALL the teachers out there. It's not any easy job and I thank you!
ReplyDeleteYou come up with the cutest clothing ideas! I love your boots, too. Yay... it's getting to that time of year I can wear them, too. (cold weather isn't a given in the southern US)
The dress is gorgeous, I love it.
ReplyDeleteHow nice to be appreciated and get this wonderful feedback from the parents. Well done!
I think you must have inspired hundreds and hundreds of children over the years, think what a ripple effect their musical enjoyment and study has had on the rest of their lives. This is brilliant Kezzie and you are a credit to the teachers out there who strive to lift up the kids they work with. I'm always amazed by how much of the extra mile you go and relish hearing about your successes with kids being swept up in focus and enthusiasm. Excellent stuff. Big love.
ReplyDeleteAnd also big love for your comfy cosy yet chic outfit. xx