We own all of Anna Jones' recipe books and there has been a recipe I have been meaning to make for the last year. Today was the day when I tried it!
That was for a Pea Hummus.
Now for me, the problem with making Hummus is the issue of having Chickpeas and Tahini. I have chickpeas but they need soaking and cooking. I could just buy a tin but then those chickpeas will sit there forever more unused.
But, what I liked about Anna Jones' recipe is that it uses Frozen peas.
You need:
300g Frozen peas
The juice and zest of one unwaxed lemon
Small bunch of Mint
Small bunch of Basil
Salt and Pepper
and basically you need to blend them in a food processor or with a stick blender. I like the thought of this as something you could make for a week of lunches at school or a quick dip for unexpected guests in the Summer time. My mint is always very prolific in the Summer.
This was actually the first time I used our Kenwood food mixer- it was a present from my Dad/Stepmum as they bought a new one so we got the lovely old one.
I bought a bunch of mint from the GreenGrocers on Saturday in preparation for this and had already zested and juiced a lemon a week ago.
It wasn't until I'd added all the ingredients that I realised I hadn't purchased a new basil plant or a bunch of basil so I had to strip our basil plant that is hanging on with its fingernails to life. I may have added half a lemon extra juice and zest.
What was it like? Well, you can see I managed to make two tubs of it. It tasted deliciously fresh and zesty when I sampled it as I was cleaning out the mixer so I will definitely try this one again. I have carrots to dip in it and some bread so I will try it tomorrow with those and let you know how it fares. It apparently will last a week in the fridge which is good!
What do you think? Would you try this?
x

I would definitely try this, Kezzie, thanks for the recipe!
ReplyDeleteThat looks good! Jacob, my tortoise, is a huge fan of frozen peas, I bet he'd love this! x
ReplyDeleteI would definitely try this. I still like "proper" hummus though - I'm a fan of chickpeas. We had some last night in a curry. (My curry was vegetarian but wasn't vegan because I used butter to fry the garlic).
ReplyDeleteCool! I've never heard of this before and will definitely try it. I'm always eager to find new ways to enjoy veggies. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteI would definitely try this. Great recipe!
ReplyDeleteSounds delicious, Kezzie. Thanks for sharing this recipe! xxx
ReplyDeleteI have a recipe for fresh pea hummus but never thought of using frozen peas. I was just thinking of making some regular chickpea hummus today. Now I think I'l make some. It only takes a few minutes. So good. I'll try the frozen peas later. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteHugs, Julia
I call this a pea and mint dip and it's something I make regularly. It works great with both fresh or dried mint, like the one you make tea from. This reminds me to make some tomorrow. xx
ReplyDeleteWhen I read in your next post that you'd been eating pea hummus I thought 'that sounds nice', I know Andy would love it too. I'll bookmark it so I can make it. I had to laugh about tinned chick peas sitting there unused. I had some in the pantry for so long, Andy ate them for lunch one day knowing I'd probably never get around to making hummus!
ReplyDeletexx