Today was something unusual for me. I had the day off school. I had earnt a day in lieu a year or so ago for when I took my children to Warwick as part of our winning a Shakespeare week composing competition. Somehow, I never got around to using it so when my flute quartet/trio were asked to play at Chelmsford Cathedral because another ensemble had cancelled, I asked my head if I were able to use the day. He agreed.
To be honest, the timing was, in some ways, a God-send. I am completely exhausted at the moment and I just keep losing my voice every week. Plus, I started to get a really nasty throat on Wednesday night and worse, last night, I choked on a bit of plastic or gristle in my Moussaka and something seems to have been stuck in my throat since then (I'm hoping it is just scratched from the trauma of something getting stuck but it does feel like the thing moves around a bit). Plus, I had three awful days in terms of behaviour this week so it was nice to have a break from children (although Fridays are my favourite classes).
We turned up around 11am and got ready to practice. Even though the recital started at 12.30pm, there were people already arriving to get themselves a good seat, my Mum included! As well as my dodgy throat, it was awful that the Mother of one of our trio had unexpectedly died last night so it was amazing she was still there.
One utter delight for me was the fact that my Mum had passed on details of the recital to family friends and ALL the lovely people who used to live round the corner from us and we always used to spend our Christmas day and Boxing Day evenings with all came to watch including one lovely lady who I haven't really seen for years!
The recital went well although my throat was utterly raw and I had drunk all my water by the end of the performance and found it quite hard to play!
We had a full church- I couldn't see any spare seats in either the central or the side passages so it was great to have such an appreciative audience- I took this picture a few minutes after the end of the concert. We had some really nice people come up to us and say how much they enjoyed it and one local composer has asked to write a piece for us!
They cleared the cathedral pretty quickly after the recital but I grabbed a quick photo in the chancel.
The organiser of the events was very taken by our trademark red heels and made reference to it so I thought I'd share them here too!
I must admit, it was lovely to then be able to walk out in the beautiful sun, not something I ever do at school!
I had to get back home quickly for a Doctor's appointment but it was lovely to take my time and arrive home in the daylight for a change!
Here's hoping we are invited back again! The first time we ever played together was at Chelmsford Cathedral so it was nice to play there again, this time as the central feature.
If you are interested in these free lunchtime concerts, here is the website link to the cathedral.
xx
The way everything worked out for you, and the success of the event, and all your friends in attendance -- it all sounds like it was orchestrated by angels. I'm sorry your throat could not get with the program, so to speak, and heal up in time, but it sounds like you rose above that obstacle pretty well. Please tell us what happens with that!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful. And what an understanding Head. When I have a bad throat, Bob makes me a lovely drink with honey, lemon and soluble aspirin.
ReplyDeleteHow lovely! It's great that everything worked out so well for you.
ReplyDeleteI hope your throat feels better soon and there isn't actually anything stuck in it. Also hope whatever you choked on was not, in fact, plastic!!
I love your red shoes - what a great image - and fabulous to have a composer ask to write especially for you - wow! Do you have any recordings of your ensemble anywhere on the web Kezzie - I'd love to hear you.
ReplyDeleteThere's a bad bug going around - I've been laid up for nearly a week and had to cancel choir practices and a carol singing event. But for your tired voice at work, do you every do a voice warm up? I hate suggesting something to a fellow muso but I know a lot of teachers end up with voice problems towards the end of term. And it really works to do even 5-10 minutes of voice warm ups in the morning - your voice will last a lot longer. Just lip trills or even simple gentle humming.
I think I posted this video a while back - it's really simple with a guy called Mark Baxter, but you do have to watch the video the first couple of times as he doesn't speak. But once you know it, you could even do this when you're walking or cycling in to school, or in a car if you're driving. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_EYyWesCKQ
Anyway, well done, get better soon and good luck for the rest of term. Fil x
Yay for a day off and SUCH a wonderful one, too! I hope your throat is better. You need a nap today.
ReplyDeleteI feel for the your poor musician friend at the loss of her mother to have to play under such circumstances. It must have been difficult for her but I can imagine that she played for her mom.
ReplyDeleteI hope that your throat will feel better. I imagine that December will be a very busy month for you. I seldom get sick but if I get myself exhausted, that's when I get sick. So take care and get some rest.
Hugs, Julia
I love that photo of the red shoes and flute with the empty church behind it. I'm glad you had this wonderful experience. I do hope all is ok with your throat! Sending over a hug xxx
ReplyDeleteI love those sparkly shoes! How lovely that your mum spread the word and that long standing friends were able to hear you play. I hope that the GP appointment went well and that you are soon feeling better xx
ReplyDeleteWow, it's so good you get to take time back! My boyfriend doesn't when he has to do school trips. He's on a cadet thing right now sleeping outside in some exercise, bless him!
ReplyDeleteCorinne x
www.skinnedcartree.com
I'm so sorry for your colleague who lost her Mum. xxx
ReplyDeleteWe all had a day off last Monday because it was Independence day or some holiday of the sort (not entirely sure what it's called). It is definitely nice to have a day off.
ReplyDeleteLovely to hear it all went well despite the fact you're having throat issues. I can relate to that! I hope you feel better soon. How nice of your mother to invite everyone at the recital. Have a lovely Sunday!
What a lovely day :)
ReplyDeleteI hope your throat is feeling better now.
What a fabulous day.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed seeing your photographs,
… and I love the red shoes!
I do hope your throat is better now.
All the best Jan