Tuesday, January 31, 2017

South Africa: Kirstenbosch and Cape Point

I left you when we had returned from Table Mountain.   We had a lovely chilled afternoon until we decided to set off for the magnificent Kirsten Bosch Botanical gardens. These are, in my opinion, one of the best places in Cape Town.  You can just spend the day there reading or explore around.  We went there in the early evening where it was quiet and serene for a walk around.

We adored these pineapple flowers. That's what they are called.

This looks rather like an interesting person.
You can see Table Mountain from here and you can take a route from Kirstenbosch although I think it might take a rather long time.
There were walkways, paths and all sorts of intriguing routes to take.
I wish I had obtained a clearer picture of this. It is a Hardidar bird (which I kept hearing as 'Ladidah!'). Apparently, they are rather a pest!

This cool lake looked so refreshing and a party of people were having a sumptuous picnic here.

We weren't alone!
These guinea fowl were so pretty up close.
J loves taking lots of photos and we did lots of posing!  She cunningly gave CBC a crown. I knew exactly what she was up to!
 She is also the queen of Jump photos! She made us jump at our wedding so everyone got jumping bride and groom photos!

 I had sneaked my G penny whistle in my suitcase so I got it out and attempted to interact with some of the birds and, since we were largely alone, I decided to play tunes as we walked along.  Some 10 minutes later, we met a man, who seeing my whistle told me he heard it in the distance and it sounded incredible because of the echoes!




Alas, my camera died but we enjoyed the evening greatly and bought pizzas on our way home.

The next day, we went on a driving trip with J and her Mum and Stepdad to Cape Point and the Cape of Good hope.

The sea and the views were fabulous.

It was rather busy and it took a while to drive in as there was traffic but the walks from the carpark to the lighthouse and the Cape Point were really beautiful affording incredible views all round.


We were dressed in rather summery clothes and the sun was beating down so I recommend a wide-brimmed hat and plenty of suncream.


Here was our jolly party.  We'd brought a tasty picnic with us which we enjoyed greatly. This was our view.

We kept seeing signs for Baboons but never any actual baboons and wondered if we would ever see any!




On the way back, we headed to another vineyard where CBC bought some wine and we all enjoyed a cup of tea and cake in a very pleasant cafe.






It had been a lovely day and we were looking forward to exploring the Cape Town city the next day!

xx


13 comments:

  1. How lovely! The ocean shots are breathtaking! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those jumping photos... You're a good jumper. Your photos are incredibly beautiful. Such clear blue skies and water.

    The crown photo is hilarious. We did the same thing when we were in Scotland. We got my son in law to pose by a fence with a Highland cow in the background. It looks like he was wearing horns. lol.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kezzie these photos are stunning! I love guinea fowl they're such pretty birds and I love your shot of the hardidar bird too, what a great name! Beautiful blue water in those last few shots, and I love the ones of you jumping on the tree stump! And those pineapple flowers - beautiful! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos of all that lovely intense blue have really brightened up my day! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loooved all the pictures and the crown :) and the queen of jump and Table Mountain, plus the Cape of Good Hope... I also loved that you were interacting with the birds, this makes the whole adventure and experience much better and more genuine... I am so glad you went there, and maybe you can go back next summer! Hope you have a very lovely day, dear Kezzie!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such fabulous photos, Kezzie. Those botanical gardens are magnificent and the sea views are breath taking. Love the "crown" photo (how clever) and your jump photos. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! This is incredible! I really, really want to visit South Africa. Your photos are all amazing. (And I love the jump shot!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing day! A wonderful collection of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my those ocean pictures are lovely ... well they are all lovely.
    Jumping can be fun!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. South Africa is such a beautiful place! I really like all the landscape and sights that you shared on your blog so far. You two look very sweet together. Plus, I really like that jumping photo of you. That photo in which you're playing is very sweet too. So nice that man liked your music performance...and echoes do make a lot of difference. I'm curious to as what it must have sounded like.

    P.S. Perhaps it is best you didn't see any bamboos, supposedly they're quite aggressive. I watched on one documentary how some lady prevented her infant being stolen by them in the very last second.

    I think female bamboos are alright, there were many cases in which female monkeys nursed human babies and took care of them. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of cases in which male monkeys killed human babies or attacked women. The problem is that it is in their instinct to kill any young that is not their own (especially so with bamboos) and also to them it is normal to attack females. They can tell our gender and age by looking at our face. They are less afraid of women and children and more likely to attack them. So, that sign is there for a good reason. As much as I love animals, I wouldn't want to meet any bamboos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so nice he complimented you on your playing, what a lovely story. I love the photos, South Africa looks stunning. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful post. The pineapple flowers are stunning, those gardens have to be one of the most beautiful places to picnic I thought as I read and then I came to the next day's picnic spot and that's even more spectacular!
    Love the jumping photos, what a great idea.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Kirstenbosch although my fear of heights means I've never gone on the Boomslang walk - too high for me!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)