Tis a bit of a cliche to go to the seaside dressed up as a sailor girl, but I did it anyway.
In case you are wondering, the top is from Joules (mega sale last year), the skirt is ancient Primark (very tight!) and the raincoat (Seasalt Cornwall) with my beloved Doc martens.
Oh how wonderful it was to inhale that sea air again!
CBC and I visited Newton by the sea with J and though it was a blustery day, it was sunny. CBC and I walked towards Dunstanburgh castle.
Such bursting joy and yet tranquillity surge through my heart simultaneously in a fusion that shouldn't work yet do. I don't care that I get messier and messier as the breeze laps at my hair because that is its overenthusiastic welcome. The smell, even when none-too-pleasant has its place in the joy of the situation. The stumbling over uneven patches of sand and the avoidance of large piles of Bladderwrack seaweed, these are all parts of that wild experience. The beaches in the north are wild, they are unforgiving at times, they lack Cornish and Southern prettiness, yet they have that menace and danger in them that their west-country counterparts have too.
There is a health and a rejuvenation in being blown around and hearing the compulsive returning of the tide. I find myself all too cross and grown-up at times but being here allows me to join in with my husband in fun antics.
Joy as he dashes up a slope and affecting crossness as he kicks sand into my shoes one too many times. Annoying but necessary in peeling back that grown-up and weary facade.
I delight in my maritime companion with his ever-patient and loving nature.
Such joy to be back at sea. Whether dressed as a sailor or not!?
xxx

Beautifully written :)
ReplyDeleteCute outfit :)
ReplyDeleteI far prefer the seaside out of season than I do the height of summer, I love walking along the seafront all wrapped up and cosy on a moody day with the only others there dog walkers x
Your writing really made me miss living by the coast!
ReplyDeleteLike Melanie, I love it out of season the best, all foreboding skies and wild waves.
And surely sailors wear 'sailor suits' for a reason? Don't know what it is but the sailor style always looks good.
Zxx
A very well dressed sailor, so nice to have sales at Joules! I loved the Doc Martens too! You look lovely and how nice it is to visit a beach - I am so eager to go to a beach, though I must confess that I prefer it when it's not sunny :) The hair looks nice as well - wind or not, the beach is to enjoy, like you meant, of course! I even wrote a bit about it today - yes, it seems I am posting twice a week now :) A blogger told me that she can't travel light like me, because she wants to be beautiful, for pictures and for events - I wasn't offended to be called ugly, really not, but I am always so impressed by the lack of sensitivity of some people :) So, your hair is absolutely gorgeous! The day is to enjoy, not to be a Vogue fashionista! Well done!
ReplyDeleteDenisesPlanet.com
You both look very nautical and jaunty.
ReplyDeleteA good walk to blow away the cobwebs is always welcome and if it's by the sea even better.
Lisa x
I am really quite envious of your rain coat! x
ReplyDeleteI really thought it was a dress, rather than top and skirt. I love sailor looks. Good to be by the sea too. I live literally just along the road, but never see it these days (I sometimes hear it at night though).
ReplyDeleteGreat photos of you and CBC together and I love those heart glasses. The sailor outfit looks very nautical and I love your hair tied back like that. How sweet of CBC to dress in the same colors as you. A real good sport.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
jb
I loved reading this post. You've reminded me exactly what it is to play at the seaside and of the sea's overwhelming power. And I love your sailor outfit and how CBC is the perfect playmate. I wish I could smell that air.
ReplyDeleteYou look stunning. It doesn't matter if it's a cliche, it works and it's beautiful :)
ReplyDeleteoh I do like to be beside the seaside...Looks like you 2 had tremendous fun!
ReplyDeleteA l'eau c'est l'heure!!!
ReplyDeleteGorgeously written and that jaunty dress made my whole day a little brighter - ahoy me heartie.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun and poetic post! I love the beach, too, no matter if it's rugged or gentle. It's always calming. Don't know about the Bladderwhack, though (?!).
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you travel around the UK so much - we'll be able to meet up when I get there! We're looking at Shropshire/Welsh borders areas, maybe around Oswestry. I hope to see you!
Yup, I've definitely got a hankering to breathe in some sea air!
ReplyDeleteThe seaside is my calm place, I'm never happier or more content than when I'm by the sea. Even in the pouring rain. I love how perfectly these items go together.
ReplyDeleteI think it is really appropriate that you have dressed yourself a sailor to visit seaside. I actually thought you were wearing a sailor dress and then I read it was a top and a skirt...but they are matching so perfectly no wonder I was mistaken.
ReplyDeleteI love breathing the sea air too...It always make me feel both joy and peace (as you have discribed)
xoxo
You both look totally ship-shape. I really want a yellow anorak, but it would clash with my hair :( xxx
ReplyDelete