Friday, February 07, 2014

Peplerm?

Mustard beret 2
I love this Orla Keily x Uniglo blouse.  It is made out of really comfortable soft cotton and the print is lovely (I also have it in the grey and orange) BUT, I find it hard to wear it stylishly-
It is slightly too big for me but the sort of Peplum-style (that's what my deputy called it) just isn't flattering, it makes me look larger than I actually am!  On past occasions, I have tucked it into a higher-waisted/tight-waisted skirt so you just see it as a tucked in blouse without the floaty bit down the bottom. BUT, I want to wear it with trousers too and it just hangs there.
orla dilemma
I wore it here with black tighter fit ASOS trousers and a knitted button-down tank- but I'd like ideas for how to wear it in more ways and with what!  I really really like it but I don't think I am doing it justice- it would be nice to wear it without the tank too! PLEASE, can you offer any suggestions?

favourite beret
When I wore it this time, I wanted to team it with my Miss Simmonds says mustard beret and I recently have been trying to add different accessories to this beret (and a few other hats) to give them a bit of a restyle/interestinger edge. Thus I added this purple crocheted flower to pick out the colour of the top. And added a black velvet ribbon to the shirt.  Not so sure I got that cute Sheriff look that most other people manage by adding a ribbon.

My music room is gradually taking shape!!! I put up the sea shanties today- they look really cool all ramshackle all over the board. The Musical Elements posters arrived too (sorry, new National Curriculum, the inter-related dimensions of music) and they've gone up plus my Harry Potter 1, Dumbledore quote has gone up at the top of the display board. I am going to try and find some inspiring quotes related to music to go up around the room too- not overt, but something to catch the eye.  It's looking quite nice thus far.
My day was actually, despite feeling VERY bunged up and coughy, very good- my year 5's were completing their Sailor's hornpipe tunes (you can tell the theme this term is water, sailors etc?) and actually came up with some very successful performances. This year, I am trying to take a bit more time with some things that otherwise I would have rushed in one lesson and I can see the benefits of this in the quality of their music-making and enjoyment! The afternoon is my time out of class, so I got lots of little bitty jobs done (like the displays, no hoovering this week), and then in drumming club, we continued to write our 'Ghosts v federation' battle drumming which sounds pretty cool! Despite all this, I am VERY glad it is almost Saturday (a very very tiring Friday to get through- remember my Wednesday? This has now transferred to Friday instead, except that I get no break whatsoever now as there is no assembly for my classes every other Friday and since I am swapping Keystages between lessons 1 and 2, they have breaks at different times which works out badly for me.  Worse still, I have year 1 for three out of the four curricular lessons- my LEAST favourite year group to teach music to.  SO immature still but have to do the National Curriculum! Sigh.   Just got to get through.)

I've been messing around with Picmonkey. REALLY should be doing better things than adding purple daisies to pictures of myself!




12 comments:

  1. I think it looks lovely. How about a pendant that finishes at waist level? That can draw the eye down and emphasise your waist. Failing that I swear by a denim waistcoat, that's my trick with dresses that are too big x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kezzie, I sent you an email last week, but from my new address, did you get it? Take a look to see if it's on Spam list! Now, by the way, if someone can wear peplum, that is you! You are tall and have perfect measures, so it would great on you! I like the blouse very much - I showed last week an Orla Kiely x Uniqlo too, and that is the most comfortable top I have - plus, warmer! You look lovely and I love the colors! So good your music room is getting ready! And by the way, year 5 must be soo sweet, I miss my pupils! So, that is Picmonkey? I have never heard of that, but now I need to see and play with it! I loved the effects, before reading that I thought "that is so cool!" Also, take care not to catch a cold, being coughy is no goo sign - drink a lot of tea! And relax on the weekend if possible! denisesplanet com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could wear a belt with the top so it doesn't stick straight out from your waist? I'm the same with peplums to be honest; as a small-waist, big-bum kinda girl the last thing I want to do is make my top half look bigger! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no fashion advice to give - I think I am the world's least knowledgable person on what suits - biu you look lovely in that outfit!
    I've not called in for a while, but it's been good to catch up. I used to like putting up displays in my classrooms...the children were always excited to see their work or find themselves in photos. Yours sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice look, I love the shirt

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a fabulous OK print. How cool of the designing Irishwoman to have those initials - or did she just marry Mr Keilly for his name, do you think?

    It might just be possible to unpick the peplum, press it flat and reattach it, to make a longer, straighter top, with perhaps a very narrow contrast bit of piping at the seam.

    As it is, it would look great under a sixties style black Vneck pinafore-dress type tunic with leggings or opaque tights - that would show off sleeves and collar [and your great legs] but hide the peplum

    Mind you, if you ever decide to have a family, that peplum will hang very nicely in the first few months of pregnancy...

    Don't give up on it whatever you do. Blessings xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think this top looks too big on you, it's lovely! Pic monkey is awesome =)

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say wear it under a shift or pinafore dress if the peplum is an annoyance. I love the print but have several similar shirts and the inbetween length can be really annoying! It's a fabulous print x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the others that have gone before me, I too love the blouse. Goodness me there is no hope for me if you think that you look large!
    Jille xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peplums are troublesome. Often a peplum is lower, and not very long. But they do make one look hippie. They do best on a fitted blouse, so since this one is too large for you, that's probably a big part of the problem. Can you take it in somehow? Put darts in the back to tighten it up? Of course, having the peplum makes that kind of alteration difficult as well. Hm. Could you wear some kind of very slim belt -- either a slim leather one or even a fabric/thick ribbon type -- to keep the shirt tighter to you. Or the belt might conceal the fact of the peplum, and that might help. Tricky one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know, those purple daisies seem awfully essential to me :) That top is so lovely. Hope some of these fashion mavens give you solutions to make it work ideally for you. And anytime I see the words "sea shanties" it just makes me smile.

    Answered 2 of your questions on my latest blog post. Answering them at various times seems fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the top looks great on you. However if you're not totally feeling it, I'd perhaps add a skinny belt or like you say wear it tucked into a skirt. I like the photo editing too : )

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)