Monday, May 20, 2013

FffffFlotsam but no jetsam (SIA)



From Flotsam, by David Wiesner
Watercolor on paper, 2007

HOW awesome is this painting!?!!! I adore it!  What is going on with Robofish on the left?!?!

Anyway, it's the inspiration for this week's Style imitating art with Jess at Animated Cardigan blog

Fishy tale 3


Fishy top

I was all set for plain orange and turquoise and then remembered this awesome t-shirt I bought from Primark in the sale for £1 last year!  They're all unique and show an underwater scene!

T-shirt:  Primark, Skirt- Per Una at M&S, Cardigan- thrifted
Orange and turquoise is a nice colour combination- it always makes me think of dancing costumes from my childhood.  The Tuesday school (I was the Wednesday school) always got the best costumes and the best dances (and they always got props like umbrellas, canes etc!!!!) and one year they did a dance to Greased lightning with amazing 50's jive skirts in different colours with halterneck tops and ribbons in their hair!  I really wanted the turquoise and orange combination that a girl called Janine was wearing so my friend Lucy and I managed to persuade our parents to pay the dressmaker to make us a turquoise skirt each for our birthday present! I wore it for stacks of parties! Who'd have thought that 20+ years on, I'd still be loving poufy 50's style skirts with petticoats!

You're wondering about the fish? Well, when I lived in Indonesia, my university provided the opening ceremony to the Bali International Arts Festival- the president came and everything.  We were in a massive parade across Denpasar in costume with dancers and instruments galore and some of the dancers were on a massive float (and dancers appeared from inside human-size, fake flowers.  At the end of the ceremy, I and some of my fellow musicians, didn't want to walk back to Uni so we hitched a ride on the float which was covered in these very cleverly hand-made fake fish (out of foam, wool etc) and as we alighted from it, they totally trashed the float, taking off all the fish and decorations (I think it needed to be cleared) and so I took my opportunity and ripped off this big fish.  I then shipped it back with my instruments and books etc! I love to think what the customs-guys made of my inventory, 1 bronze metallophone, 1 double-headed drum, 1 fake gold-fish....

The crab is totally cute- I bought him during my final placement of my PGCE when I was in a year 2 class doing the topic, The Seaside, past and present. The crab was an item 'for sale' in my seaside shop!!!  He was a charity-shop purchase- he's so cute!!! His name is Crabbe (as in HP!)

x

Linking to Visible Monday with the fabulous Patti and a whole host of lovelies!

15 comments:

  1. Great inspired look! The "accessories" are so perfect : >. And your skirt is terrific, with all the seaming. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! Your skirt is so pretty, your shirt is super fun and I love that you posed with fishies!! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:40 pm

    What a perfect shirt for SIA this week! (Thanks for reminding me - I wonder if I'm too late.) And that's a great story about the fish, what a good souvenir.

    I've been absolutely fine, thank you for asking, although I have a cold right now. Still, I stayed home from work and I'm not so sick that I can't spend the afternoon sitting on my patio in the sun! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome is the painting? Well, how awesome is your shirt? It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh your underwater tee is so cool! Great take on the challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious! that tee shirt is such fun! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have the most fun stories! and i love your t-shirt...how unique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness that top was £1!! i nearly bid on something similar on ebay this week but it was too small and it wasn't £1 either! yes the boots on my post were Irregular choice by the way! love the fish and the story behind it! that's hilarious...you hitched a ride on a trashed carnival float and now are doing a fashion post with the fish...you couldn't make it up!! ooo and thank you for all your lovely comments on my blog, it was like christmas day for bloggers xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:58 pm

    I too would of taken one of those fish, the work that must go into them as it looks very detailed. Also a fabulous token of what sounds like an amazing occasion.

    I know what you mean about the turquoise puffy skirt, When I was 7/8 ish my Mum made me the most amazing turquoise party skirt with a black ribbon edge and a petticoat underneath. I think I wore it with a white shirt and black bow tie... there is a picture on the wall in my mums study.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look amazing! Loved the skirt, I like different patterns and maxi skirts! And the fish is lovely, and wow, I have always dreamed of going to Indonesia and you lived there! So amazing!
    I just read the other posts - and just arrived yesterday after 21 hours travelling - so tired! Thank you sooo very much for your lovely words about me - in fact, I have the same opinion about you, your inner beauty and also you are beautiful on the outside! It was my pleasure to watch you playing with the orchestra - I told before, you are brilliant! And the flowers for the church are fabulous - my favorite flower, rose! Congrats for CBC and the job! Hope you are fine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the outfit! Particularly with your sea life!
    Jille xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the story behind the fish, and your 90s-screensaver tshirt :) And robofish; he's excellent xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute Kezzie ... love the storytelling you lay out for us, here!
    Great addition to SIA, and frankly, a very cute outfit for the real world, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is your best SIA yet, love the t-shirt and the props are fantastic and really cute too ! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a fun outfit
    love the pattern/print mixing and how fun is that fish!?
    brett

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)