Thursday, May 09, 2013

SIA- Feeding the Ducks




Feeding the Ducks, by Mary Cassatt

Drypoint and aquatint, with monotype inking, on paper, 1895

I do enjoy the Style Imitating Art challenge with Jess and Salazar.
I learn a little more about art and have some feeling of 'ownership' over that painting if that makes any sense at all.  Often, I like a painting but don't remember it- but the SIA paintings stick with me and I feel I know them more!
Thoughts on this one:
Beautiful colours, interesting characters, fun cartoon quality, hilarious outfits and DUCKS- one of nature's most hilarious animals!
Is that my Mum in the yellow top in the painting!  For some reason it makes me think of her!x
The print on the lady in peach's dress makes me think of Alex and Char's #Wardrobe zoo - I can't work out what the print is though!
Little girl- nice headband, just about to pitch over into the water! Cue screaming mamas!

week09-kezzieag
Here's my take on them.

Left and right are surely obvious- the print on the trousers actually matches the lady's skirt though hard to see at the distance (they are F&F at Tescos), blouse (vintage).  When I wore this, I wanted to wear a flower headband like the little girl but didn't think the white went with it so opted for Sunflowers!  Lots of 'Peaceman' comments at church! Duck earrings too if you look closely! Flower belt (River island) supposed to represent the swans as it has feathery petals!

The central dress is vintage Laura Ashley belonging to my Mum which combines little girl's colour with the shape of peach lady.  A family friend was wardrobe mistress for one of our local Amateur operatic societies for years and housed their costumes in her loft.  She's a great source of costumes herself any way (and helped me with the dalek dress).  Recently, because she had resigned from the post, someone came to collect the costumes.  She remembered that my Mum had given her 2 Laura Ashley dresses if the society needed to use them at all and so she kept these.  I was wildly excited when she told me this and clearly, if it hadn't been midnight when we spoke,I'd have run round there instantly! I mentioned it to Mum the next morning and she immediately said, "Oh it must be your Laura Ashley pink floral bridesmaid dresses."  (from when my sister and I were 7 and 10 respectively).  You can imagine I was a bit gutted.  So when I went round there to see her (forgot my front door key and she has a spare) , when I opened the bag and discovered two adult Laura Ashley dresses, I was delighted!  (she also gave me late birthday presents of handmade mini-hat  fascinator, homemade piccalili and a mirror!).  Obviously, this isn't the type of vintage dress I am going to be wearing all the time, it's a little too "costume" for that, but I am still chuffed! Definite possibilities though! 

Now, if only her brown 70's maternity dress turned up, then I'd be a happy bunny- it was an AWESOME dress which I remember from childhood and from beautiful photos of my Mum that I found at my Grandad's house!

3 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to see a photo of you wearing the fascinator and piccalili!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Laura Ashley dress is so pretty on you, you should wear it all the time! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Vix, that Laura Ashley dress was made for you. You need a secret garden to skip around collecting lavender whilst wearing it! I certainly would! I love it! The source picture is fantastic too xxx

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)