Sunday, October 03, 2021

Kezz and the chokestalk


Here's a throwback to the end of August.  Ah, look how  thriving my raised bed looked.
Do you see that tall plant behind me?
Well, yes, there is a beanstalk behind me....around 8 of them in a wigwam formation but also, towering above those is a Jerusalem Artichoke plant. My mum gave me a left over Tuber from some she was given and I planted it in the bed. It has grown and grown and has achieved lofty heights- it continued beyond where it is in this picture to double my height!

In the picture, I am holding a round courgette. I bought some seeds from Lidl and whilst only one of my plants survived, I've had a fair few big fruits out of it, even though not as many as last year.

I'm quite sad that a lot of the Summer plants are coming to an end- there have been successes and failures...it's been an odd year weather-wise so I'm grateful to have had anything.

I'm really rather fond of the playsuit I am wearing in the picture.  Secondhand of course...came from Depop which is a second hand sales app. Curiously, it has an almost identical pattern to a Clara dress...but in black with a different shape and it being a playsuit.

I've had a lovely weekend.  Friday night was a bit annoying as CBC went out for drinks and nibbles to a work colleague's house  (which he'd mentioned he was going to) but didn't get home to midnight but didn't let me know till about 11pm that he was actually alive...so I ate rather late.
We awoke early on Saturday morning and CBC went out to hunt for petrol which we needed for to go over to my Dad's.  He's not used the car virtually at all for about 3-4 weeks as he's been getting the train to work (not because of the petrol issues but because he wanted to start off the year with good habits for work and had to stay at home for reasons last weekend).
He managed to get some eventually and came back with McDonald's breakfast.
We then drove to Kent in horrendous traffic, made worse by the A13 being closed and there being queues on the A127 for a petrol station and ended up so late we had to head straight to Ashford rather than driving to my Dad's. We met at MacArthur glen where I accompanied my sister and stepmum to look round the shops (I was good...resisted unbelievably good Cath Kidston sale shop...ended up buying a pair of black boots in Clarks after my feet ended up well and truly soaked) in the pouring rain. CBC, meanwhile, headed off to the Curiosity brewery to meet my Dad and my sister's boyfriend The three of them were bought a brewery experience for Christmas 2019 but for obvious reasons, hadn't been able to make use of this.
After an hour and a half, we met them at the brewery restaurant for dinner.  It was excellent!  I had prawns for starter and hake for mains.  We then drove back to my Dad's house where we sat and chatted and did Jay's Pub quiz (2 of them) on YouTube which is brilliant.  We also ate a platter of chocolate, crisps and popcorn courtesy of my sister.  Reluctantly, we headed to bed, it was SO nice to stay late at my Dad's house for the first time in 2 years.
This morning, we drove to a nearby garden centre where they have an excellent cafe for breakfast. It really was delicious.  After a brief look round the centre, resulting in the purchase of a new water butt to replace our one which has a split in it, we headed home. Luckily the traffic was much more clement, as was the weather!
Back home, we both started off by doing garden chores.

I hope you are well.
xx

 

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really busy weekend.i have raised bed envy - but only a little, as I hope mine will be as fruitful next year

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always in awe of those with gardens - look at all that greenery! I love your cute jumpsuit, Kezzie - the red beads are a sweet touch.

    Your adventure sounds like it was loads of fun in the end. How nice to be able to hang out and stay at your dad's again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely gourgette and just the right size. Pole beans is a great idea especially a raised bed. You can pick them while standing. It sounds like a lovely weekend with your dad and family despite the long wait to get your petrol.

    Take care and stay well.
    Hugs, Julia



    Your playsuit looks comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden always looks great. I like your romper too. Lovely red accessories as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been an odd gardening year indeed and I haven't been as happy with my garden as I was last year. Looking at last year's photos, I'm amazed at the variety of flowers still blooming their heads off. Now it's mostly the Nasturtiums which are still going strong ...
    Your Jerusalem Artichoke is quite something, are they supposed to grow that high?
    Loving your playsuit, which is absolutely delightful.
    I've been hearing about the petrol issue, what a terrible situation to be in, I hope it gets resolved soon. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend regardless. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t like gardening, but appreciate trees and plants and the effort that people make to create a beautiful space.
    Your playsuit is cute. Love how you have styled it with red accessories.
    Sounds like you enjoyed a fun weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That rounded courgette looks perfect for an old fashioned game of squash ball. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a brilliant photo, I love that round courgette and the playsuit is fab on you! Love the red accessories! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)