Sunday, November 11, 2018

October Reads

In October, I read 8 books.


October:
102.  A woman of Consequence (Dido Kent mysteries) - Anna Dean.
Whenever I start a new 'series' of Historical Whodunnits, it is always because I spotted them in a charity shop OR second-hand bookshop. In this case, I picked up 3 books by Anna Dean at the magnificent Barter Books of Alnwick, Northumberland- I always know that if the publisher is Allison and Busby, I will enjoy the books and this was no different.
Dido Kent is 35 and a spinster. She is extremely outspoken and argumentative to a point.  She has solved one or two mysteries before and turns her hand to a mystery that begins when a young lady, Penelope Lamb falls in a ruined building just behind her, perhaps because of a ghost. The unravelling of this mystery leads to secrets hidden years ago.
The solution of this mystery was very clever and different from other historical Whodunnits. Plus, I find the characters wholly likeable.  Well worth a read.

103.  Stories of the First World War- Jim Eldridge.

I borrowed this book from a child at school who was reading it.  I really liked it because it consisted of short stories, some of them true, some of them made up but based on real facts, which dealt with different aspects of life during WW1 and important events- e.g. from the perspective of an airforce pilot, a mine digger who helped build a tunnel under the German front lines, a soldier on the day of the Chrismas truce. Each chapter is then followed by a very easy to read explanation as to where the story comes from and what importance that event had.  I think they would definitely help children to understand how appalling life was for soldiers and give them a real understanding and empathy.

104.  The Pinhoe Egg- Diana Wynne Jones
I cannot believe I only recently discovered the Worlds of Chrestomanci mysteries by Diana Wynne Jones.  This is one of the later ones.  In this story, Marianne Pinhoe and her brother Joe live in the village not so far from Chrestomanci castle.  The job of Chrestomanci is to prevent the misuse of magic and the Pinhoe family have their own magic which they do not want Chrestomanci interfering in.  The story begins when Gammer, head of the Pinhoe clan seems to have gone doolally.   Marianne is sure that she hasn't really gone mad and suspects that her Grandma is sending curses on the Farleigh, a related clan.  They meet Cat Chant, a nine-lifed enchanter in training who has recently acquired a horse. Marianne gives Cat a mysterious egg she finds in the attic of Gammer's house and it appears that some strange creature is going to hatch from it.  Chaos ensues once this happens as the war between Pinhoes and Farleighs ensues.
SUCH an exciting story.  I do like the fact that Wynne Jones does make real nasty characters who genuinely do mean things and don't necessary feel sorry for doing these- it makes it seem real somehow and different. I love the character of Cat Chant and the new characters of Marianne and Joe are very likeable.  There is a lot of great imagination in this story.

105.  A gentleman of fortune (Dido Kent mysteries)- Anna Dean.
This is the second book in the Dido Kent mystery series.  Dido goes to stay with a relative, her cousin Flora and her cousin is distressed by the rumours that are spreading that the nephew of Mrs Landsdale, her very good friend, is to blame.  She implores Dido to help solve the mystery.  The cause of death is an overdose of Laudanum and it is up to Dido to also wonder why Mrs Midgeley, the neighbour, is so determined to spread such nasty rumours about Mr Landsdale.  Worse, Dido stands to lose the approval of the gentleman who she holds in very high esteem if she continues with the investigation. The solution to the problem is again a very ingenious one and one I would think worthy of Agatha Christie. Much recommended.

106.  A place of confinement (Dido Kent Mysteries)- Anna Dean.
Yet another clever story involving Dido Kent. This is the last book in the series so far.  The day before Dido arrives with her Aunt Manners to stay with family, an heiress, Letitia Verney, disappears from the house she is to stay at.  This time, Dido's involvement comes closer to home as Tom Lomax, the son of the man she holds in high esteem, is accused of kidnapping and later murder.  If she stands any chance of ever being happy with Mr  William Lomax, she must then clear his name.  It is difficult when her own family by marriage is involved and dark, long-kept secrets are revealed. Another fine, clever plot.


107. Taylor and Rose- Peril in Paris- Katherine Woodfine.
If I can recommend any series of books to children aged 10 upwards, it is the Sinclair mysteries series by Catherine Woodfine.  I was devastated when the series finished but luckily, the story continues in the new Taylor and Rose detective series.   Sophie Taylor and Lilian Rose are now established as Sinclair's lady's detective agency in 1911 and their services have been taken on by the Secret service bureau in England.  Sophie finds herself in Paris to try and seek information regarding a professor's death who was an informant for the secret service.  Lil is in disguise as a governess to the children of including the heir to the throne of Arnovia to find out who is trying to give their allegiance and power to their neighbours, Germany. The book is immensely exciting involving kidnapping, escaping in the middle of the night and the big air race in Paris.  I cannot wait for the next one!

108.  The White Giraffe - Lauren St John.
This is the first in series about a girl called Martina.  Her parents die in a fire at the start of the story and Martina is sent to live with her Grandmother in Sawabona, a game and nature reserve in South Africa.  She finds settling in difficult until she hears rumours of a legendary White Giraffe who she meets and forms a bond with. It seems it is Martina's destiny, long foretold, to be there at that time and to be a friend to all beasts.  But others are after the White Giraffe and Martina must overcome challenges to help him.
This story series is beautiful and I love the characterisation and descriptions of the landscapes.

109.  The Whitby Witches- Robin Jarvis
Ben and Jennet are being sent to live in Whitby with a very old lady after being pushed from foster home to foster home.  Part of the problem is that Ben has a sixth sense that helps him to see the spirits of the dead.  Jennet isn't sure he is actually telling the truth.  Alice Boston, who takes them on, seems to be the ideal solution, they get on very well.   But then, things start to go wrong as Alice Boston and her other spinster friends are introduced to a new resident in the town called Rowena. One by one, the spinsters meet 'accidental' ends but Alice is suspicious and worried.  In the meantime, Ben befriends a creature called Nelda who is a 'fisher folk' a strange species who are dying out as their womenfolk are cursed to die in childbirth. They are not supposed to fraternize with humans but Nelda has a vision that Ben is involved in helping to free the Fisher Folk from their fate  by helping them find the Lords of the Deep's long lost, Moon Kelp.
The story is very exciting but I also think, incredibly dark.  The  descriptions of the deaths of the women and other events are full of suspense and excellently written. I can imagine having been scared of these as a child.  Nonetheless, I was gripped by them.

Have you read any of these?

Would you like to?


6 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these, but I think I've heard of The White Giraffe.
    The Whitby Witches sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of those books either but I watched a lots of youtube video and one I can say got me revetted was Jim Caviezel Testimony actor who played in The Passion of Christ film youtube. It was amazing.

    I wish you a great week.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I haven't read any of these books, it still amazes me that you are able to read so many books in one month! On top of your busy life. And blogging! I must be doing something wrong ;-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these... a good collection thought by the look of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good mix there. I recently picked up one of the Anna Dean books, will check which one it is.
    All of them sound interesting for different reasons.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd neither heard of nor read any of these books. Thanks for your descriptions.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)