I love those idioms we have in language! I remember, when learning German, I used to love looking at my massive dictionary for examples of uses of words. For some reason, I was looking up rain (which I knew anyway) and I saw that the German equivalent was something different. Can't remember what it was but it was something equally interesting.
Anyway, it's been really lovely having some rain these past few days!!! Haven't we needed it after the massive gap between having rain?! We went to RHS Hyde Hall and I was happy walking in the rain!
It was wonderful to water the garden from the water-butt after having showered with buckets since May to reuse the water! I hope and pray we get the rain we need to fill reservoirs this year but without flooding.
It reminded me of a poem I wrote for the Toy Press prompt back in July. I was a bit naughty as the word of the week was either rein or reign and I decided to take a homophone interpretation of it and use rain!
I took the well-known phrase and made a short little rhyme with.
I found out last week that another of my poems has been accepted by Little Thoughts Press in America for their next issue. You can see or purchase (at a pay what you can digital) or a print version of the current issue here. I am really happy about this- this will be my third time in actual print this year!
Back to school tomorrow for 2 INSET days. I feel quite guilty as CBC and my sister both went back yesterday but very grateful.
As I'm feeling a bit gloomy, I will do my customary 10 things I am grateful for about this holiday.
1. That I had a magical swim in the river Stour, and at my local pool, and in Hexham and in the local sea and at the Oasis Pool in London!
2. Got to spend a lovely time taking my Dad out to lunch! And got to spend time with my Stepmum and sister too on a different occasion
3. Had a lovely anniversary walk in the Kent Downs with CBC on our anniversary.
4. Got to see my lovely blog friend Ang TWICE this holiday!
5. Made an absolute glut of Fruit Amber with free apples and blackberries (and in fact, honey too as my MiL was going to chuck it out!) to eat over the next week and to go in the freezer! There's about 14 portions in there at least!
6. FINALLY had a year with lots of tomatoes growing, even though I'm scared of cutting off branches! I forgot how much more tasty homegrown organic tomatoes are!
7. Went back to wonderful Kentwell Hall and the Historic Guest House near Sudbury that we went to in May!
8. Had a lovely time on holiday with my inlaw family!
9. Had a jolly time with my niece, walking a beautiful route I've never done before, then surprised my Mum with a visit together! So grateful she got what she needed for her GCSEs (I know, it's hard to believe she was THAT old now!)
10. I had an exciting cycling adventure with CBC (even if it has given me a hand injury/ssue- pray for me- I hope if it's Ulnar Tunnel/Cycling Neuropathy or Cubital Tunnel that it will go away!)
There are many more reasons to be thankful but here they are for the moment!
Hope you are well!
Xx



I like your gratitude list. Hope your school year goes well. :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your poem getting accepted. It's really cute! Though I'll admit that the thought of slugs (ugh) or armadillos (ouch!) falling from the sky concern me! 😂
ReplyDeleteI need to do a gratitude list. Things are quite gloomy here, these days and the hot, dry weather isn't helping.
Well done on having your poem accepted, Kezzie!
ReplyDeleteI'm loving the nautical rainy day outfit. We've had quite a bit of rain here as well this last week, and very welcome it was.
In Flemish we say that it rains "pijpenstelen" (which means "pipe stems"). No cats and dogs falling from the sky here :-) xxx
Interesting... I only know "Es schüttet wie aus Eimern" (it's pouring like from buckets, so kind of like it's bucketing down) but I've just looked it up and apparently "Es regnet junge Hunde" (it's raining young dogs) is a thing. I've never heard anyone say it though. I used to collect German proverbs/idioms. I always liked their equivalent of When the cat's away the mice will play, "Ist die Katze aus dem Haus, tanzen die Mäuse auf dem Tisch" (if the cat's not at home the mice dance on the table). I love the mental image of dancing mice.
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice post. Congrats on your upcoming poetry publication.
ReplyDeleteYour opening comment about language reminds me of something a visitor from Sweden said to me many years ago. She didn't speak English well and was trying to tell the story about Marie Antoinette's insensitivity to the plight of the poor. The visitor came to the punchline and bungled it in a way only a foreigner could -- "And do you know what Marie Antoinette said about the poor? She said, let them eat cookies!"
Snowing moths and butterflies is AMAZING.
ReplyDeleteI love idioms. I used to get either 99% or 100% percent on the Idiom and tests when I was a student. :)
ReplyDeleteIt is funny how idioms differ language to language. I don't know German, but I know that some other expressions (in other languages) for when it rains a lot. Btw You got me curious about the German one, so I looked the idiom up - "It's raining puppies." in German: Es regnet junge Hunde.
:)
I agree that it is finally lovely to get some rain and use the water butts again. I was really struggling in all the heat. I hardly went out. The current weather is much more my thing. I'm looking forward to getting out much more now it is cooler.
ReplyDelete