Sunday, September 13, 2026

Afternoon with Mum!

Yesterday started off a little uncertain. CBC had wanted to recreate a cycle adventure that he and I did in the holiday but with his brother and partner. I can't do any long distance cycling at the moment because my hand is still not right since the last one - something has happened to my Ulnar nerves where I have a combination of numbness, pins and needles, pain and discomfort in my 4th and 5th fingers down to the nerve.
Unfortunately, everyone was very much on indecision mode so there we were at 10 on Saturday, not sure if the cycling was going to happen and it was somewhat annoying (particularly as I later discovered there was a Children's book festival in Sudbury which was only a stop away from the cycling destination which I would totally have gone  to if I'd known.

Anyway, I did a few garden related tasks whilst C procrastinated about going out cycling alone (we've made a plan for next week).
Finally alone with certainty that I was not going to jump on a train to Sudbury, I phoned my Mum.

She had sent me messages about making bolognese sauce for the freezer throughout the day. I adore her bolognese so I joked that she could issue a dinner invite.
I phoned and asked if I could come over. She laughed and asked if I wanted Spaghetti Bolognese. I said no, but I wanted to see her.
So I threw a couple of things in a bag and cycled (short distances on my Brompton not my road bike are doable)  to the station, jumped on a train, cycled across town and got anothef train to her. I'd made it in an hour.

We had a cup of tea and her tabby cats were very excited to see me. In a very sing-song voice, I said, "Hello!" to girl cat and she hilariously matched my pitch change EXACTLY! She did it twice more in imitation but of course, as my mum tried to film her, she stopped being quite so vocal! 

Then we went for the obligatory tour of the garden.  Her garden, esp in the peak of growing season, is a joy to behold! She is so very green-fingered and devotes so much time to her plants.


She has grown several sunflowers this year but this one is a giant! 


And it resembles a shower! 

The full length photo for idea of height and so you can admire my outfit! 
Top from Tesco, skirt from Zoe Mundo in Pollenca, Mallorca, sandals from Celtic & Co, necklace from Primark (ancient) and peach  earrings, if you can see them, from O O Bears @ Upstairs, Downstairs in Cromer. 


After our tea, we went for a walk down to the estuary which was looking beautiful eiyj brooding skies. It was lovely and breezy. 


I picked up a few pieces of sea glass. 

Back home, we are the Spaghetti bolognese (but with Northern Pasta's Spelt fusilli) which was divine. It was accompanied by Raspberry ferment and then a slice of Mint Vienetta for dessert. Mum found this in the corner shop a while back and had saved to share with me! 
After a final nod of respect to the Sunflower, it was time to go home. 
Mum sent me on my way with 8 homegrown peppers, a jar of Garden Ketchup, loose leaf tea (as I've run out and she has 2 kilos!) 

I'm so glad I popped round to see her.
Make the most of those you love.

Back home, CBC and I watched Last Night of the Proms and did a few chores!
Xx

1 comment:

  1. You shared so many good things in this post, but I can NOT get past the size of that sunflower!!! It's HUGE! 😳

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)