Monday, March 14, 2016

The exuberance of new books

Oh there is SUCH delight in having a pile of new books!  I find myself often drooling over Alex or Janet's Instagram pictures of a pile of new books! 
Such it was that when I went to Hexham at Half term to visit CBC's parents (you haven't seen any pictures because I had a flat battery and the charger was in a box somewhere) we found ourselves in Corbridge, the next town to Hexham.
They have a brilliant book shop called 'Forum Books' and also a Forum kids books down the street (which I missed-grrr!).  We only went in to find CBC's mum but I found myself  browsing and couldn't resist buying a pile of books. It's not often I buy myself new books from a book shop as opposed to seeing what I can find in a charity shop, but it was so exciting to come out with my bag full of books.
 So what did I buy?
It all started with that mysterious brown package on top, but more of that later.
Once I'd started down the slippery slope of buying one book, I continued.
The Duncker book was on their reduced rack and I confess, being a bit of a musician, it was the title about the composer that made me pick it up, combined with the obvious sense that it might be a Whodunnit, my genre of choice.

The Rainbow Rowell book was one I had seen Janet review and when I saw it on the shelf, it had to come with me.

I adore Norwegian author, Jostein Gaarder's, books so I was delighted to see this new book. Stay tuned for A Blogging Good read this month where I will be joining Alex and someone else to share my opinions on this and 2 other books!

Cakes and ale. The blurb on the back won me over.  I've not read any of this author so it had to be done!

Lastly, I received two of these British library vintage crime reprints for Christmas and I loved the Santa Claus mystery so I had to snap this one up.

 "But what was the mysterious parcel?" I hear you query. Well, there was a large pile of books each wrapped in brown paper tied up with string (these are a few of my favourite things...) with a sign saying "Blind dates". You chose a book with a little hint given to you by the tag and took a chance on a book recommended and loved by the Forum book team, sold a bit cheaper than if you bought the book knowing what you were buying.
I adored this idea so I had to buy one and with that reference to a hat, I had to give it a go.
 I've waited until this weekend to open my parcel. I adore the anticipation of a parcel.
 Inside was an intriguing book called 'The President's hat'
I can't wait to read it!

If you are in Corbridge, be sure to visit Forum Books, it is a delight. I had SUCH a lovely chat with the young guy behind the counter discussing books! He took a look at my parcel and told me I'd chosen a good one!

Ah, such delight, a good pile of books to read. What more could I want?

xxxx

18 comments:

  1. We often use Hexham as a stopping off point on the way to Beadnell :-). Will have to check out this book shop next time we are there. I love Barter Books and spent a lovely afternoon with the kids reading, browsing and buying :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice pile of books. I'm looking forward to reading your reviews.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. This post makes me crave the bookstore! I have too many reads going right now, but buying books is such a treat!
    The blind date book looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way about old comic books. When I find a shop that sells them reasonably, I have the best time flipping through the boxes, enjoying that old paper smell, seeing all the vivid, bold colors, just trying to find one that looks appealing. And then I usually let them sit a few days or longer so I forget what I got :) Looks like you pulled in a good batch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the smell of new books - I can't ever imagine wanting to read one on a screen. The Blind Dates idea is a great one. Will have to see if we have time to call in on our way over to Alnwick. We already have loads of things on the list to see though - I think we need to stay for at least a month! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, I LOVE the surprise book idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, what a wonderful selection. Also, could you send me your new address?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can't beat a visit to a book shop can you!
    Your pile looks an excellent one, and I like the sound of 'The President's Hat'

    Enjoy them all ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Theres nothing more satisfying than a new book. Pity there's not more time to read them all!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the mysterious parcel - that's such a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! I love it! I hope you'll enjoy your book. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh that does look like a good pile of books! Love the 'blind date' idea too, I hope yours find turns out to be a good one...

    Liz x
    Distract Me Now Please

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get lost in book shops. What a delicious pile of books. And I love how you revealed the last one. Books are also great because they're heavy, don't you find? I like their heft.

    ReplyDelete
  14. there is nothing better than a pile of new books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many cool books! I find I go through phases with reading.. I love reading but sometimes I don't start because I will literally lie in bed or sit in a chair and read all day until it's finished :') I struggle to get a balance haha! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoy your new books. I gave a Christmas Mystery book as a gift last year, i think they make great presents.
    The wrapping up of a book is a great selling idea!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous1:34 pm

    I LOVE new books! It's always very exciting to arrive home with a new book xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay books! I really hope you like Carry On. Considering recommending books is my job, I find it rather scary when someone I know (internet knowing counts, right?) buys a book on my recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)