Monday, March 07, 2016

Downstairs bathrooms- yes or no

Yes that is a toilet cake. Yes I was weird.
I've never actually lived in a house with a downstairs bathroom as my permanent abode. My childhood home was a tiny 2bedroom bijoux with an upstairs bathroom that was the size of a downstairs bathroom.  Despite never living with one, I have strong opinions on them.

I do not like them.

There are multiple reasons why:
1. They are always so perpetually cold! No matter what heating the house has or the temperature of the general environment, the downstairs bathroom seems to have some sort of endothermic reaction, sucking in all the heat and rendering you akin to sitting in an ice-box.  The loo seat virtually burns your er-behind it is so frozen!
2.  Tiled floors- again, cold.  Not comfy, slidy, not welcoming.
3.  Nice warmer or carpeted bathrooms are usually upstairs. One can sit and read on the loo. I'm afraid as a child, at my Dad's house, I always chose the upstairs loo for warmth and reading space! TMI, a little bit sorry.
3.  There's always this feeling that people downstairs can hear you. Or having a window on ground level, this subconscious makes you feel people could peer in through the window!
4.  They're always so small!!! You feel like the walls are closing in on you! Upstairs bathrooms are always much nicer and bigger.
5.  Inevitably, there is never a bin or any extra resources you might need in there!
6. You always end up coming out of them feeling sheepish that you have been there, doing that with people near by.

I'm now living in a bungalow so I have to face a downstairs toilet on a daily basis- but at least it is carpeted!  It's still a bit chilly (no radiator) though.  Wish me luck at dealing with it!!


xxx



16 comments:

  1. I feel sorry your derriere gets frozen when you sit on the toilet seat. Perhaps you can make a plushy washable fabric cover for the seat with elastic band to keep it in place. I have two upstairs bathrooms and one downstairs and they are all heated. It came in handy when we had 4 kids all needing to go to the bathroom in the morning to get ready for school...

    I have porcelain tiles that are warm depending at what temperature we set the thermostats. I have bath mats on the floor to keep the toes cosy warm. We heat our bathrooms as our winters are very cold here.

    Hopefully it will warm up soon for you.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrrrrrrr. I think we can get used to just about anything, given enough time. I've never thought about upstairs or downstairs bathrooms. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bathrooms are like Iron Man movies, the more the better. I do prefer to do my reading in the upstairs arena, but it sure beats going while someone is in the shower next to you or hopping around on one foot while your mate adjusts her blush. I could never live in a house with someone else with just one bathroom, would drive me batty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never lived in a house with a downstairs bathroom but I visit plenty of houses with them, or bungalows that obviously have them. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I don't read or spend more time than necessary in the bathroom so form follows function for me.

    If you don't like tiled floors you would hate my house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:35 am

    I have lived in a mix. Initially always upstairs bathrooms then in flats where I was either ground or first floor and then a house with one downstairs and at the back of the house and needing the loo in the night was awful! Now we are in a ground floor flat again with a bathroom which has the heating pipes under the floor so it's always toasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our house is an old one and we chose the option of having a downstairs extension for a bathroom rather than lose a bedroom upstairs. You're right it is the coldest room in the house, though this is probably due to the rubbish builder we employed!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad's house had a downstairs bathroom only (kitchen + bathroom were in an extension to the original house) until he bought the house next door, knocked them into one and converted the boxroom in the 2nd house into an upstairs bathroom. The old downstairs one is now just a loo :-) The part I hated most was having to go allll the way downstairs if I needed a wee in the night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If i had my way we would have a downstairs loo in addition to the bathroom and separate WC upstairs! I would not like to have the bathroom downstairs in a house but in a bungalow no worries :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like a downstairs bathroom as it's more convenient when I'm downstairs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've lived in houses with both but we moved ours upstairs when we bought this house. I never had an issue with the cold as much as needing the loo in the middle of the night and having to get dressed to nip downstairs and then being wide awake for ages afterwards.
    Get yourself a wooden loo seat, they aren't as cold as the plastic ones! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You need a heated floor mat in your bathroom. I don't know if such a thing exists but it sounds right. And a heated toilet seat. I know they exist in Japan. But you might never want to leave. That would be a problem. I want bathrooms upstairs and down. For now, I am content with what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We always had a bathroom upstairs but I do remember some holiday cottages with bathrooms downstairs and it being so cold! We now live in a bungalow and I don't mind everything being downstairs! (Before moving here I always said I wouldn't buy or live in a bungalow!) Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I grew up in a bungalow so it seemed normal to have it 'downstairs'. Now we live in a house, I do prefer having it upstairs but it's just as cold up there! I'm surprised more people haven't commented on the carpet v tiles. Again I grew up with a carpeted bathroom and always found it made the room feel cosy. Most people seem to find it really weird though! X

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the attention to detail in that cake with the blue water down the toilet! We've always had a downstairs loo and yes it's tiny, yes it's cold, yes you can touch both walls at once! I recall all 3 of us cleaning our teeth in the tiny corner sink when we were little though! As I'm too incapacitated to make it upstairs throughout the day, I use the downstairs all the time and it's become "my" toilet (lucky me). My parents bedroom is now downstairs and they have a bathroom in that, so use that during the day. I clean my teeth, wash my face etc upstairs though. It is carpeted though and my parents let me paint it when I was younger and I painted pigs around the walls (because I loved pigs)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a downstairs loo, we don't have one in our new house and there's no space to put one either :( I really loved living in my flat, because everything was on one level, no need to go upstairs to the loo (unless you count the 4 flights of steps I had to go up to reach my front door!)

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)