Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Chicken Mouth Jug

Chicken mouth jug is very precious to my heart. Once upon a time, he lived in my Grandparents' kitchen and came out for breakfast time to serve the milk in. I loved him. I'd ask my Grandmother to get Chickenmouth jug out whenever we went round. I looked forward to breakfast for him alone.
A few years later, he'd been retired to the china cabinet.  I remember asking my Nan, "When you've finished with him, can I have him?". Terrible child that I was, that meant, "When you die, please leave him to me in your will."  or "Can I have it?".  How shocking! My grandparents used to laugh when I said that as I'm pretty sure that they knew that was what I was implying.
Nonetheless, in my latter teenage years, before my nan died, she gave me Chickenmouth jug. He lived in our china cabinet. I didn't use him.
Fast forward over a decade and when I moved to our old home, he came with us.

In the months leading up to our move, CBC was moaning about all the 'inherited clutter' from my old house and made some reference to getting rid of him. I remember being already incensed with CBC anyway, but I remember being utterly furious at the thought of him not regarding Chickenmouth jug in the same affection as I did. To him, he's just a piece of lifeless china, and I expect to you or the average person. But to me, Chicken mouth jug was something my Nan gave me, one of the last things.  I hope he remains with me for long to come.

Do you have anything like this?

xx

19 comments:

  1. I love your chickenmouth jug! I don't have anything like this from my GPs and don't want anything either or miss anything! I'm not very sentimental regarding objects I don't think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you and chickenmouth have a long loving realationship together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chickenmouth jug is so very special to you. I wish I had something similar in my life. Sadly that's not so. Enjoy the daily pleasure it gives you x
    Anna
    www.annasislandstyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chickenmouth is lovely, I'm glad he's yours now! He'd be great as a vase with some pretty Spring blooms, wouldn't he?
    That bloke of yours must have plenty of his own clutter! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you decided to keep this jug, as you said it's something that's dear to you and that your nan gave you! I think he's really cool haha! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chickenmouth jug is cute, and I totally understand you being sentimental about him. I have just a couple of things from my grandparents, but I've been known to buy things at flea markets which I remember from my grandparents, just for sentimental reasons. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like him, even more so as he has sentimental value, nothing is dearer in life than that x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I think it's important to label things like Chicken Mouth Jug. I can completely understand why you love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The jug is very special to you. I would be pleased to know that my grandchildren appreciated some of my own ornaments and wanted to own them. Many of them were passed down the family and they mean a lot to me although they're not of great monetary value.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy, there is one nickname I cannot imagine anyone wanting, Chicken Mouth. At the top of my browser on this tab is says "KezzieAG: Chicken Mouth". Sounds like an old CB handle oh but you are just a tiny embryo I forget and probably do not get the reference. And yes the power that items can hold for us, like totems to the ancients. The older I have gotten the more I have let loose the items and found those feelings tied to my senses more, tastes, sounds, sights. And places especially hold amazing power for me these days. Some I am drawn to just to stand in them, an almost constant pull.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The jug is lovely, and made all the more so because of the associations and affection it contains. Chickenmouth needs to be used - pop some daffs in him and have him out on display! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. i know how you feel kezzie, my nan had a sewing box and she always had it beside her forever making lovely pieces of clothing for me and my twin, often id peek inside it when she wasnt looking at all the lovely old tins with pins in and cloth dolly needle case...bits n bobs to me looked like treasures at a young age...my mother gave it it to me when my grandparents died...years later i looked inside it, id never touched anything within it, it needed a new life, so i gave it to my sister to join my nannys sewing machine in my twins house she deserved it as shes always making things and it still lives on there and i can still visit and peek inside at the treasures when i miss it x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chicken mouth jug deserves to be out and about. She is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, you must use Chickenmouth and enjoy him. I have a few things I simply couldn't be parted from, but I'm not one for clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can quite understand why Chicken mouth is so loved.
    I have a set of tea plates which my dad gave me and they live on the dresser, I should use them more often.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chicken mouth jug is adorable! I would never part with him if he were mine. I think he'd look pretty good with some daffs in too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love chicken mouth jug.
    I have four Polar Bears ornaments that have stayed with me / the family. I wouldn't part with them ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think my house is full of strange inherited objects. I love my 1960 wire magazine rack. Mum and Dad were chucking it, but I love the simplicity of it.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)