Wednesday, March 09, 2016

A tasty vegan dinner!

We do like a good Vegan meal in our house, despite the fact that CBC is Pescetarian and I am an omnivore.  We do tend to get into a bit of a repetitive cycle of meals which generally involve plates of vegetables which I have absolutely no problem about as I would perfectly happily eat the same things every day (and I did practically in Indonesia!) 

Nonetheless, it is always delightful to try something new.

About two years or so ago, I saw this recipe for Tomato and chickpeas on Kate Gabrielle's blog archive and thought it sounded tasty. It took another year for me to get around to buying some Panko breadcrumbs from an Oriental supermarket and another year until I was moving and had to empty the freezer to actually make it.
 The recipe is very easy and I'd soaked a large amount of chickpeas a year ago and frozen them so I could quickly defrost for a meal.  Your basic ingredients (if you are too lazy to visit the link are cherry tomatoes, cooked chickpeas, panko breadcrumbs, herbs- garlic, oregano, seasoning and oil. I used fresh garlic rather than Kate's suggested garlic powder and mixed herbs rather than Oregano.  You basically fry the ingredients in the order I listed them and enjoy.
I'm not sure if the breadcrumbs were supposed to be crispy or not, but mine were sort of soggy in an enjoyable way
 To accompany them, I cut up an aubergine and fried it in some oil with mixed herbs added and lots of lemon juice.  You put them on a medium heat and leave them under a lid and keep stirring and adding a bit more lemon juice. They go all gooey and delicious. CBC does aubergine in lemon juice and it goes almost pancakey and crispy, not sure what he does differently apart from peeling them but I decided to keep the skin.
 To accompany the tomato, chickpeas and aubergine, we kept it simple and added some rocket leaves and some artichokes from a jar from Waitrose.
 The combination of flavours was very tasty although I might add more salt and herbs next time and more bread crumbs, but I recommend this as a tasty different vegan dish.
 Here are a couple of cooking shots for you to see!

Over to you, do you have any good vegan recipes you like cooking?  Do you like chickpeas or aubergines?  Would you like to try this?

xxx


Sharing with Claire Justine at Creative Mondays.


14 comments:

  1. It looks delicious, I like the idea of aubergines and chickpeas with breadcrumbs. It's yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind aubergines in a moussaka but I tend to find them slightly bitter if served in their own. Chickpeas are a firm favourite in our house and we love them tossed in a little oil and spices and roasted in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds so healthy but I'm afraid it wouldn't be eaten at home. T is getting so fussy and although S likes most things that doesn't extend to chickpeas.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. We eat chickpeas quite a lot, I've never mastered cooking aubergines myself but I've eaten them at restaurants and enjoyed them, I probably need to be braver with the salt. We bought some panko last week for a black bean burger recipe, I'll try this one to get some more breadcrumbs used up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love! My friend makes avocado on seed or organic bread with chopped chives, tomato, black pepper. My dogs get a cooked dinner every night, something like sweet potato, green veg, homemade soup. My favourite fast food is baking a tin of chickpeas in a tray with 'free from' green pesto (or olive oil), then add hot peppersauce. I also really like butter beans with garlic and lemon in french bread with spinach, or kidney beans mashed with sacla aubergine pesto in a wrap, maybe some tesco dairyfree tangy cheese melted in.
    Aubergine is good chopped fine with mint, lime pickle and coconut-yoghurt for a raita.
    Tofu scramble is quick to make too but I dont make it anymore as it costs more than beans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love! My friend makes avocado on seed or organic bread with chopped chives, tomato, black pepper. My dogs get a cooked dinner every night, something like sweet potato, green veg, homemade soup. My favourite fast food is baking a tin of chickpeas in a tray with 'free from' green pesto (or olive oil), then add hot peppersauce. I also really like butter beans with garlic and lemon in french bread with spinach, or kidney beans mashed with sacla aubergine pesto in a wrap, maybe some tesco dairyfree tangy cheese melted in.
    Aubergine is good chopped fine with mint, lime pickle and coconut-yoghurt for a raita.
    Tofu scramble is quick to make too but I dont make it anymore as it costs more than beans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it that you share your recipes. You make a nice presentation with food. I love chickpeas and often make humus but I also like it in salads. I'll have to try this. Instead of Panko, I would be tempted to use couscous as a substitute.
    Thanks for the inspiration. I did check the link to the recipe but I think I prefer yours as it's a complete meal.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been vegetarian since I was 18 months old but Jon eats fish and chicken. Although I'm not a vegan most of what we cook is, it's so much cheaper, isn't it? Your dinner looks delicious, I'm going to have to make that! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious, but I have no idea what panko breadcrumbs are.
    I love chickpeas. We have them in sweet potato, chickpea and spinach curry (also vegan), but last night I added some to some chilli along with the usual kidney beans. It worked well so I will definitely do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks and sounds delicious! Chickpeas, aubergine and tomatoes are some of my favourite ingredients. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. While the title in my new favorite oxymoron, I have to admit these are some lovely dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have panko breadcrumbs but never know what to do with them--thanks for sharing this recipe. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yummy, I must try this!!! I'm not a vegetarian anymore, but I still eat mostly vegetarian meals.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so simple and yummy! I'll have to give it a try! Mum sometimes uses chickpeas or aubergines when cooking but I personally haven't tried making anything with them.. I need to start being more adventurous haha! :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)