Monday, March 21, 2016

10 cakes I do sincerely like

Last week I shared the 10 cakes I dislike the most. In the interests of balance, I thought I'd share cakes I DO like!

1. Lemon and poppy seed
I really like the crunch of poppy seeds. They are very tasty. I'd forgo the lemon for the poppy seeds. A slight lemon is delicious! Mmmmm...

2.  Chocolate eclairs.
These are my ultimate favourite cake. I ADORE these. When we were little, my Mum called these 'Naughty but nice' and I didn't know their proper name for yeeears! But they still remain my ultimate favourite. Mmmmm, choux pastry, mmmm, cream, mmmmm, chocolate!
The ULTIMATE combination!!

3.  Victoria Sponge with fresh cream
I really love a very light Victoria sponge with fresh cream inside and a thin strawberry jam. Tescos do a really nice one in their chilled counter- it's always been one of my favourites!

4. Lemon drizzle with crunchy topping.
One of the Double bass players in my orchestra makes an amazing lemon drizzle. The top is crunchy and lemony made of sugar and lemon juice combined but the cake is not overly lemony. I like lemon but not too much!

5. Plain madeira
I don't need loads of details and elements to my cake. Madeira is great! Simple, not too sweet!

6. Chocolate Cornflake cakes:
Again, these are incredibly nostalgic for me. We used to make these with Mrs Weaver when we did cookery in Primary School and they used to serve these for school dinners. I adored school dinners, I don't know why anyone else hated them!  I am also rather partial (but not as much!) to those Mars-bar crispy cakes they seem to do in bakeries in Hexham and Corbridge.

7.  Chocolate sponge
A simple home-made chocolate sponge with not too much sugar or icing is super tasty. Doesn't need loads of icing  or indeed any, although I will gladly eat it if it comes with it.
Any chocolate cake (as long as it is not mixed with fruit) is fine with me. Remember those Sara Lee chocolate gateaus from the 80's? I love them!x

8. Courgette Cake,
A plain cake with courgette in it- tasty! Specially straight out of the oven.

9. Chocolate and beetroot
My Mum made a chocolate and beetroot cake - it was so moist but not too sweet- I really enjoyed it!

10. Pavlova- apparently tis a cake according to Wiki!
Wiki said it was a cake, so I am including it.  Lovely meringue, cream and summer berries-what's not to love!

So what are your ultimate favourites? What do you think of my hit list? Shocked? Disgusted? Approving?
Let me know!
xxx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cakes

27 comments:

  1. I love a chocolate eclair too but the few I've had recently have been disappointing after a colleague at my old school bought some extra good eclairs in on her birthday one year - they had a layer of jam and rainbow sprinkles - best eclair I've ever had and I've never found one like that since!

    I absolutely hate pavlova! I hate meringue (though I make an exception for lemon meringue as the meringue bit is a little softer / gooey-er and not so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how I feel about jam in one but it's a shame that the ordinary one is now a disappointment! I'm not a HUGE meringue fan but I like it with the cream!

      Delete
  2. You didn't mention angel cake or Battenberg? WHAT?

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angel cake was in the original draft but I threw it out in favour of chocolate crispy cakes!

      Delete
    2. Battenburg is a bit almondy for me!

      Delete
  3. That's a pretty impressive list. I love just about any cakes but very, very seldom eat any just because all that sweet isn't very good for me. I love , love pies too and I have many favorites but seldom eat any. If I feel very naughty, I'll eat pecan pie but it's sinfully sweet. I eat it in little slivers at a time but it all adds up. He he... I really have a sweet tooth.

    Can you believe we're having a major snow storm today and it's still snowing. We're having approx. 20 centimeters. All schools were closed today.

    Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been eating far too many. We have a huge spate of Feb and March birthdays at school and it's been constant cake. Usually I give up choc for Lent but I stupidly didn't this year! bad!
      Not so keen on pie here!!x
      Your weather is crazy!x

      Delete
  4. Such a wonderful variety! Your taste buds are quite flexible. Food tied to memories is always my favorite. I wonder what sort of cake was at your wedding if you had a cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, food nostalgia is great!
      I'm not so sure about the variety- largely chocolately or cream-based!
      My cake was in the picture of the last cake post- it was a patisserie one-light sponge with cream inside. It had fresh fruits on top. I didn't get any- the vultures ate it! Oh, and my Mum made a beautifully decorated fruit cake. Have a look at the weddings label and you can see some wedding photos!

      Delete
  5. I am so with you on chocolate eclairs and cornflake cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:36 am

    Lemon and poppy seed is scrumptious! I love poppy seeds. I also love Swiss roll and jam donuts xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your two latter choices too (choc swiss roll) but I didn't have room for more!yes, donuts should've been in there!

      Delete
  7. Chocolate eclairs are rather good. I know what you mean about an unfussy cake - I don't like too much going on.
    I had courgette cake for the first time last year and it was amazing! I really must find a recipe.
    I've also just seen a blackcurrant and liquorice cake over on Lauras's blog (A Daisy Chain Dream) that I simply must try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, they are! Unfussy is good.
      YESSSSSS, courgette cake is fab!
      nooooooo, licorice is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddd!!!!x

      Delete
  8. I love Madeira. Actually I think I like all of them on this list and I liked all on the other list you've made, with the ones you don't like. :)) As long as they are not too sweet, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have very well-behaved tastebuds Anca!

      Delete
  9. I don't think I've had a cake since before Christmas! But some of these would be on my top 10. I'm hoping you had a grand cake eating day to test and rank the cakes accordingly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, I wish! Although I did have an eclair two weeks ago and plenty of chocolate cake at school today and some donuts lastw week and....

      Delete
  10. Cheesecakes are always top of my list ...
    Chocolate eclairs too ...

    My dear Mum's lemon drizzle cake was legendary, and I have many happy memories of being with her in the kitchen whilst she would make it ...

    I now make cakes with a lower carb / sugar content because of my husbands Type 2 Diabetes. Sugar can be good but for some it's a no no!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I'm not THAT fond of cheese cake- too cloying! Yes to exlairs. I am glad you have happy lemon drizzle memories.
      Yes, sugar can be very bad- how lucky you make cakes like this for your hubby!

      Delete
  11. I am soooo happy that you finally fessed up to liking cake. I was a bit worried about you. Poppy seed wth cream cheese frosting. Definitely a fav. And big old fashion vanilla vanilla cupcakes, heavy on the frosting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dislike many but I like some too!
      Noooooo to cream cheese frosting- plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain Connie, plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain!

      Delete
  12. Wow ! Very nice,,,i really like it..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Courgette and beetroot don't appeal, haven't tried poppy seeds in a cake, but all the rest YES! I know the Tesco sponge you mean, my flatmate and I used to call it a naughty name at Uni, because it was the most heavenly thing we'd ever tasted. We used to pig out and have half each!! I remember forgetting my bank card once and having no money in my purse and didn't realise until I got to the checkout and I had to put the cake back. Nearly killed me! I enjoy madeira cake too, always so moist. Krispie/cornflake cakes are a new thing for me to like, I used to think they were boring, but I really enjoy them now, especially with raisins. Icing with cream is my favourite combo though, so anything with both, I love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These all sound so yummy! I like all kinds of cake but now I want a lemon drizzle cake and I want to give chocolate and beetroot a try! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I would enjoy more of the cakes on your don't like list, but I have to agree with the eclairs they are just wonderful.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)