Wednesday, March 16, 2016

10 Cakes I do not like

Karen O'Reilly, Karen O'Reilly
I do like this one. Even though I didn't get to try it.
Ha, we often put things we like in blog posts but I thought I'd do the reverse.  My penpal blog-friend Katie asked me in the last but one letter, what cakes I liked and didn't like so I listed them (the dislikes outweighed the likes).  She almost unfriended me. Quote:
"....because otherwise, I'd have to seriously reconsider our friendship Young lady- what on eath is going on with your cake preferences?!  He he I feel like you need a Cakervention (like an intervention involving cake)..."

So, I thought it would be mildly amusing to share the cakes that caused such consternation!  (From what I can remember. I find decisions hard. Annoyingly, one of my boys at school has noticed this and he delights in asking what my favourite blah blah is, to which I say, "Oooh, that's a difficult question," to which he replies, "Is that because you're indecisive, Miss?".  Swine!)

In the interests of balance, I should probably post Cakes I do like on another day. Or maybe not, less entertaining than a rant.

1.  Eccles cake- my Grandpa always used to have these at his house. Uhrgh,these things are seriously rank! Horrid filling, nasty pastry, I'm not sure there's anything nice about them.
2. Coffee and walnut. Coffee is gross- period!
3.  Simnal cake- I loathe the taste of cinammon in cakes and what's more, I really don't like dried fruit. And what's with those large balls on top??? Yes, not keen on marzipan, especially generous-sized balls of it!
4. What the heck, all fruit cakes- wedding, Christmas, birthday...
4.  Carrot cake. Ok, in this case, I will tolerate it. I will eat it, but I don't really like it. That off-white icing on top is always a bit sour, the cake reminds me too much of fruit cake.
5.  Bakewell tarts- in one word- almonds and cherries combined. Shudder. Any cake with GLACE cherries in has my disapproval!
6. Danish pastries- too sickly, too sticky to eat, falls apart as you eat, weird eruptions of jammy/gooey inards....
7.  Banana bread- ahgh, the flavour- mouldy banana- just tastes like socks!!!! Banana-flavoured anything really!!!! I like my bananas yellow with a generous helping of green.You need to use brown bananas for this type of thing so it's inevitable I would not be a fan.
8. Date and walnut cake - dates are nasty!!!!! Need I say more?
9. Gingerbread - to be fair, I think I have a mild allergic reaction to anything with ginger as I get pins and needles in my tongue when I eat anything with ginger in. I like it in savoury-food if I can tolerate the pins and needles, but in sweet- no, no, no...
10.  Coconut cake- never been a fan of coconut- always disliked Bounties. I like coconut milk in savoury foods but not sweet.
I could continue (Baklava, I'm looking at you!) but I am aware how terrible I come across in this!
You can guarantee if it has spices or dried fruit in it, I would rather politely decline.  I apologise profusely if I offend you with my overt shaming of cakes I would rather not share a plate with. It is meant in jest, even if I genuinely wouldn't want to eat these.

In my research of trying to remember which cakes I don't like, I found this very helpful Wikipedia list of cakes with pictures which helped me. Have a look-there's some odd ones there!

In the words of CBC in that I am "incredibly fussy!" about cake- the good thing is, I really will only eat cake I love, thus meaning I won't waste calories on cakes I 'quite like' as I'd rather not eat them, thus it is better for my health.   Thus, I can gorge on chocolate cake whenever I wish, since I have renounced cake on so many other occasions. Hmmm, maybe not?

Over to you, what's your cake hit or miss list?  Better still, post about it and share the link!!
xx



20 comments:

  1. A truly original and fun post! How much I have learned from a psychological point of you based on your cake hates. I adore gingerbread but most people I know do not. More for me I say. And not a fan of carrot cake? You know who likes carrots, right? Furry creatures that romp willy nilly through the woods? Of course I refer to vegetarians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny! And I would say your cake tastes are mostly weird, but I have to agree with you on Eccles cakes, coconut cake, Bakewell tarts and American fruit cakes - yuck. British fruit cake is palatable compared to the American version. I can't believe you don't like cinnamon in cake! Sacrilege! It's a shame you have a bad reaction to ginger, because a good Parkin is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am fussy about cake, I can take it or leave it in general to be honest, with exception of gingerbread...that I can't refuse! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you (almost) all the way in your choices of nasty cakes. The only one I have to take exception to is the banana cake as I do make a beautiful banana and sultana cake myself which is is moist and yummy.
    Anna x
    Anna's Island Style

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's your stand on Chocolate Banana cake, then? Oooh, that's a difficult question!!
    I LOVE Eccles cakes ( Mr FD brought me a pack of 4 back from the UK) but not so keen on chocolate cake. Victoria sponge with blackcurrant jam and a fairly thin cream filling is good. I quite like carrot cake in small quantities and over-iced-and-topped cupcakes are the work of the Devil. They look so lovely, but somehow turn to dust.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of cake with dried fruit in either.

    I don't like cakes where the filling to sponge ratio is all out - over topped cupcakes, more icing than necessary etc. What are they trying to hide? Style over substance in my view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hate coffee cake, coffee chocolates, coffee in general. I'm allergic to coconut so don't go near anything with coconut it anyway. I eat dried fruit straight out of the packet.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't get enough coffee, so I'm a fan of coffee cake. I also like carrot cake although my last attempt to make one was a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word, at last I have fund someone who has a pure hatred towards fruit cakes, I cannot stand them even the smell makes me want to be sick. I also hate glace cherries. I do however like Bakewell tarts, I just pick the cherry off.
    I love coffee cake but hate walnuts and carrot cake oh my word, possibly my favourite but without any dried fruit in it. I hate dried fruit x x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was reading this wondering if there could possibly be a cake you hadn't mentioned. But, yes ,chocolate cake. For that I forgive you your hatred of all others ;)
    This made me realise just how much I like cake. All of them (but not coffee) (and, ok, maybe eccles too).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looove the icing on carrot cake! It's cream cheese icing by the way. Yummmmyy!

    Hmm, I wonder whether you would like my Toblerone cake? That's made with cream cheese as well... but also melted Toblerone.

    I don't like wedding/Christmas cake either, but I do like Christmas pudding... which is made with the EXACT same ingredients. Yep, I'm weird.

    My favourite cake is Yorkshire Parkin, made to my grandma's recipe. It's a ginger cake, so you would hate it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH Kezzie.... Apart from all the calories those cakes are as sweet as music, I LOVE every one of the cakes you mentioned. I think you need a palate adjustment because... just because. Oh well, just think of all the bad sugar you're not tempted to eat. Maybe we should all hate those cakes too. Sugar is bad for us anyway. Waite a minute, there's sugar in chocolate cake too. hehe.

    Hugs,
    JB


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally with you, Julia*. Seriously, Kezzie- that cakervention is happening STAT :p I even have Eccles cakes for breakfast sometimes :p xxx

      *Or at least for the first part. I did the sight equivalent of covering my ears and singing "la la la" for the sentences about sugar being bad for people :p

      Delete
  13. I can beat your list, I don't like sweet things. I can't remember the last time I ate a cake, I usually accept a slice out of politeness and slip it on to Jon's plate when nobody is looking. Chips, crisps and nuts all the way! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok at the start I was thinking how could anyone DISlike cake, but then I read your list and right enough there's some there I also don't like. I don't think I've ever had eccles cake. I like both carrot and ginger, but not more than a plain sponge. I'm fussy with Christmas cake, some are too alcoholic tasting or 'hard' for me. Coffee gross, not keen on walnuts, LOVE a good fruit loaf/tea loaf though. I love raisins or sultanas or whichever they are (my Mum always makes fun of me for not knowing the difference). Bananas I'm funny with, I eat them, but don't love them and I really am not keen on banana flavoured things. I'd have them BROWN though, hate green or yellow. We have 2 bunches of green here, waiting impatiently for them to turn!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You crack me up, Kezzie! I actually studied pastry and cake making and I'm still not mad at you. My very very least favorite cake is chocolate with chocolate icing. blech.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I think all you cake-haters are very odd. There are some here that I like more than others but I'd never turn a cake away! X

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful post which made me laugh. T loves bakewells the most and so would be quite happy to help you out with those if you ever needed it!
    I agree with the fruit cake, Simnel and the coconut cakes but coffee and walnut is the best!!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  18. how interesting! For once we disagree, because I love all of the mentioned. I adore cakes with coffee, banana, carrot, cinemmon and coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous1:37 pm

    Coffee cake - no.
    Fruit cake - no.
    Ginger cake - no.
    Carrot cake - meh.

    Now chocolate cake, yum! As long as it's veggie with free range eggs or vegan xxx

    ReplyDelete

Greetings! Welcome to the maaaaaadness! I am so glad you came to visit and leave me a pretty comment!! Would you like tea and cakes? The books are over on the shelf! I have sofas a-plenty so leave us a friendly comment and I'll pretty much guarantee I'll come a-visiting to you at some point soon!! This blog-post will self-destruct in 2 minutes. Go, type, type, type!!!!! (and put a hat on!)