
Before you start, please start this video for accompanying music (80's child here!)
Welcome to my Gallery!
If you have been hiding under a blogging rock these past few weeks, you will not know I've organised a Bloggers (please don't ask me about the Apostrophe, I am ignoring the issue!) Art Gallery.
Please go and visit all the other virtual galleries- you will find direct hyperlinks at the bottom of my post. It would be LOVELY if you could comment on any galleries you visit- even just a little comment to show you visited!
Let's start off in the bedroom.
This piece hangs above our bed and is a limited edition print (We own 21 out of 250) by P.Stangroom http://www.paulstangroom.co.uk/ bought from the Prudhoe Art Gallery. Most of his paintings are of Northumberland and he does window views out of dilapidated buildings with Northumbrian countryside but this one was from a period in his life when he lived in the Himalayas and depicts a giant Rhodedendrum tree which was the view from his garden, dwarfed by mountains. It is entitled Rhodendendrum.
The next piece is an abstract sea-inspired piece by Leigh-on-Sea artist, Emma Bell. It hangs above our built-in wardrobes. She uses gilding and gold leaf in her paintings as well as sea-colours. We bought this one in her sale last year.
On the radiator (switched off), there are two pieces of artwork. The left view of Ox-eye daisies (my favourites) was actually the wedding 'card' (one-sided- it has a message on the reverse) made for my by my dear friend Eleanor Steinitz (started her Art Foundation and Art Degree course in her 70's- she is the coolest!). https://www.instagram.com/curlewcall123/ is her Instagram handle. It is a dear favourite. The photograph on the right is by Peter Bolton and is number 5 of 50 which CBC bought at an Art fair quite soon into our relationship.
Look beneath the radiator and you will see our Ikea Hol chest which contains all our camping and outdoor gear. It is covered with a beautiful hand-made tapestry which CBC bought from an artisan maker from the Kirstenbosch botanical gardens in Cape Town, South Africa. It was very expensive! We love the beautiful colours and animals.
We are taking you into the Study/Library (3rd bedroom now) to the first of three collaged fabric works by Leigh-on-Sea-based artist Katrina Parris ( https://katrinaparris.wixsite.com/onlinehttps://katrinaparris.wixsite.com/online.) We are Katrina's biggest fans and I was so happy when she greeted me with a big hug last time she saw me at the Leigh Art Trail as we follow each other on Instagram and she loves how much we love her art.
This is called, 'Fragment of Monet's garden'.
This piece is all made up of pieces of material which she has painted and cut to size and collaged by stitching or gluing. It's hard to tell in this picture but if you look below, you can see the orange flowers are a sort of silk/satin which shines in different lights.
The next piece was a present from my Mum and perhaps you might call this craft rather than art, however, I think that all handicrafts count as art. It is a flower made out of old books and it is fitting it is in our 'library room'
Beneath our electric piano, you can spy this oil painting painted by my husband. This is CBC's Sixth-form common form, known as the Winter garden which is at Queen Elizabeth High School in Hexham. He started painting in characters who dominated the social hierarchies of school but left these unfinished so they appear as ghosts. When we found this in his Father's house when clearing it out, he was going to chuck it out but I insisted he keep it.
If you turn around and look at one of our four book cases, you will spy this work of art lying on top of one of them. It is an unfinished violin made by my Grandfather. He began violin-making classes in his 70's or 80's and whilst my sister was promised the finished violin, since she doesn't play anymore, I nabbed this. It would be lovely for it to be finished but then I am not sure I want to finish it. The amount of careful measurements, precision and fine-tuning (no pun intended) it takes to make a violin by hand earn this beauty its place in my gallery.
This next piece used to be in our bathroom (where the fish are now) but CBC said it was too dark for the bathroom and moved it (yes, he is a grumpy so and so) to the study bookshelf which is a shame as it is harder to see it against books.
It was a handmade paper cut out which was a wedding gift from my work teacher colleagues who came to our wedding. It has our names and the date at the bottom but I have cropped this to edit them out!
We will return to the study later for some pieces which are being stored in there but are not currently being displayed.
Into the spare bedroom now and we find our second Katrina Parris piece. This is called The Rock Garden and it is based upon a scene from RHS Hyde Hall gardens. Katrina's pieces are so reasonable in price but you can see the painstaking precision. If you sleep in our spare room, this will be what you see when you wake up.
A little piece of art which is hiding on the bottom shelf of the bedside cabinet is this hand-made 3D decoupaged card made by my Stepmum- I thought this was exquisite. Even though is it made of shop-produced printed pieces, I thought it was so lovely, I have kept it over a decade.
Before we go downstairs, I will take you into our main bathroom to spy this beautiful little painting with gold-leaf which we bought in either Split or Dubrovnik, Croatia on our holiday back in 2014 or 15. I LOVE fish art-work and we wanted to buy something bigger but it wouldn't have fit in our luggage so we had to restrict ourselves to this little piece. It now sits on the shelf flanked by two big Aloe-Vera plants.
I love the way the light catches on the gold-leaf.
We are moving down to the kitchen now.
As you go down the stairs, you will see these two prints by a Northumbrian, Newcastle-based print-maker artist, Joanna Bourne (www.joannabourne.co.uk) - one is called . Both are inspired by a Danish island, off the coast of Sweden, called Bornholm. Her brother lives there (who is a photographer). CBC purchased them from https://www.robinsongay.co.uk/
"In the shade in the garden at Fru Petersen's cafe"
"Prevailing Wind, Westerly"
Into the kitchen now.
As you come in, you will see this little sculpture of a Nut Hatch. CBC bought this for me for my 38th birthday present. It was made by Robin Fox (www.TheArtfulRobin.com). It was such a sweet and unexpected present. I really like Nuthatches.
Oh dear, he looks a bit dusty!!! Better give him a clean!
Below that, you will see my floral wreath which I made for Easter but is now part of the kitchen. I was rather proud of this so that's why it gets included in this gallery!
We leave the kitchen now and come into the main living room.
I apologize for the reflections. This Squirrel painting was painted by Margaret Bainbridge, a good friend of mine. This was her wedding present to us. She gave us her portfolio to look at, pre-wedding and asked us to choose a painting which she would get framed for us. CBC and I love red-squirrels and are a big part of our Northumberland love.
Below our TV sits a small hand-carved wooden nativity from a single log, made in Bethlehem and bought as a special present for my by the a wonderful Muslim mother from my school about 7 years ago. She bought it specially for me as she really valued the music lessons her son received and I was so touched she bought it specially for me.
Musical instruments can count as artwork if they are as beautiful as this. This is my Pemade (Per-Mad-aye), a handcarved, handpainted bronze and wooden metallophone bought in Bali, Indonesia.). It takes an artisan Gamelan maker or carver months to craft this,
They often depict scenes from the Ramayana, the story of Rama and Sita but this one featured birds.
Another hand-carved piece is this sculpture which sits in the corner by the piano. It came from Kenya and was a present from the family of a girl who left my school last year. Her Dad specially carried this home from Kenya for me and gave it to me after the holidays. It is solid wood and I dread to think how much he paid in excess luggage for it. It is entitled 'The family dance'. Another incredibly thoughtful gift.
The largest artwork in our house is also our newest. This is a 100m squared painting by Emma Bell (https://70thebroadway.co.uk/) We bought it two weeks ago as I wanted to invest some of my saved train journey money into a local artist. We love this abstract sea-view which is in shades of turquoise blue, brown and large swathes of gold leaf (which are hard to see in this picture). We are going to hang it above our sofa but CBC has not put it up yet! It looks very much like an aerial map-view.
Finally, in the lounge, is this oil painting by Oliver Hurst (www.oliverhurst.com). He is a book illustrator as well as an artist. CBC loves owls like I like squirrels. This was CBC's 'support an artist during lockdown' purchase. A lot of artists painted small affordable pieces for people to buy during lockdown and CBC loved this one. It is painted on board and currently sits on our piano until it finds its display place.
Let's make a detour into the downstairs bathroom.
On the wall, you will see this South African batik cotton art work (if you hold it up to a window, it is translucent) which I bought in Cape Town. Hanging this in there was one of my lockdown projects- I sewed and tied it to a stick from the garden!
Above the window hangs this willow-heart with Rose-quartz which was a wedding present from 2 of my dearest pupils made by their talented Mum. The pair of girls came to my wedding.
Continuing the Giraffe theme is this hand-carved giraffe bought from Cape Town from the Artisan's market. You will see a pretty ceramic candle-holder behind it which CBC bought me from Costa Rica.
Into the front room/dining room now and on the wall hangs this photograph of a beautiful Lake District view of Buttermere, Rannadale and Crummock Water (not totally sure). The story of this is a little bit sad as CBC bought it as a present for his sister. She didn't seem to like it or want it so CBC's father, WOMOTM hung it in his bedroom (as he was a big Lake District fan). We gave it a home when he died. It's hard to see with the reflections but it is such a beautiful picture.
Let's make our final destination stop to the entrance hall.
A selection of photos, arty bird calendar plus art works hang here.
Up first, we have a piece by one of our Bloggers Art Gallery Participants, Alison Wale. Alison is incredibly generous with her Zentangle artworks. She made this Fox Zentangle for another Participant, Bev, but she made a copy of it for me! Isn't it beautiful!
Alongside it is another of her Zentangles, specially made for me, a musical Zentangle.
And now let's return to the study for a few pieces which are not on display at the moment sadly...
Here is a beautiful cloth piece I bought in Bali when I lived there, Batik with gold glitter. It may be mass-produced by I suspect not.
When I studied in Bali, two of the artists I met gave me their artworks. I sadly don't still have the first one (painted by Filipino artist Thomas Daquiag) but I still have this personalised goodbye painting by Dania, who went on to marry Katerina, my Greek room-mate from when we first arrived.
The Jon Pertwee print was a limited edition one I bought aged 16 from a print and framing shop in my childhood town. I paid a pound or so a week to buy this.
The top TARDIS was a gift from a blog swap with Janet who used to blog at JBistheinitial.
The Radio Times frontcover also came from that childhood shop.
The other two TARDISese were all blogswap gifts. I also had a beautiful Zentangle TARDIS from Alison but I'm not sure where it was!!! Ahrgh!
And now, please take your time (can be done over a few days) to visit the other artists participating in my Blogger Art Gallery. It would be so nice to support all of those who have generously shared their art from their houses when maybe you can't visit art galleries in person. Comments, no matter how brief (but of course, feel free to leave lots!), kindly, are really appreciated.
Here are all the participants. I think everyone, except one person, has their posts up! Participants, feel free (and please do) edit and add this to your post so your readers can click easily on hyperlinks to visit the other galleries
Updated:Rach has also joined in and she has loads of amazing part! Rach is the reason I am a blogger!
Thank you very much for participating and commenting everyone. Lurkers are invited to come out of the woodwork! I will be off to visit everyone's posts over the next day or so, leaving happy comments! Thanks for all of you who I can see, have already been commenting and visiting!
Much love,
Kezzie xx
LOVED seeing all your art work. It's beautiful and all the more special for hearing the stories behind each one and why they are significant to you.
ReplyDeleteI might revive my blog to share our art work too. We have so much and it's all got a story.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, you commented! Oh my goodness Rach, I am so happy to see you here!!! Yes, yes, yes you must share yours too (I will link to it whenever you do it!) - you were my original inspiration for artwork in houses. Love your YAHWEH one which you did!
DeleteOK... I started it! After five years I've posted again on my blog. I'll add more later.
DeleteSome beautiful pieces there, but I particularly like the stitched piece from South Africa. It reminds me of my trip over there when I was a teenager. Arilx
ReplyDeleteWow, you do have a lot of art around your house. It's wonderful to see how you appreciate art. Each piece with a story of it's own and great memories of places you have been and friends you have met along the way.
ReplyDeleteThank you for initiating this project for us bloggers. It has made me aware that I have art in my house too.
I think my favorite piece is the dragonfly. Maybe it's because I love dragonflies so much.
Stay safe and happy.
Julia
I love all your art, Kezzie, and so many different media! You're like me, something in every room!
ReplyDeleteRe: the apostrophe. It is optional in Bloggers Art Gallery, depending on how you view it. You can add it when viewing the title as a possessive, i.e. "this art gallery belongs to the bloggers, and you can come visit it," and therefore it would be the Bloggers' Art Gallery (and that is the correct position for the apostrophe, since we are talking about multiple bloggers). Or, if you view the title as a collective, as in "this is a group of bloggers who have formed an art gallery," then it's absolutely correct NOT to have the apostrophe. Depends on how you interpret the title. I'm a grammar nerd, degree in Linguistics. :)
There's always a pedant in the crowd. :)
DeleteThis was my dilemma Sheila, exactly as you explained (I teach grammar at school so I've got a good grasp of it but I wasn't sure which way to go with it. In the end, I decided the non-apostrophe version LOOKED better!
DeleteKezzie, what a delight to tour your artistic home! You have such a broad and rich selection of art. I LOVE LOVE the fabric pieces by K.Parris. I would sleep in your guest room just to wake up to that on the wall -- wow!! So many others. I do love that newest acquisition, the seaview. That's stunning. No wonder you wanted to do this Blogger Party -- you are a great lover of art! And, aren't teacher gifts just the best!?
ReplyDeleteBeautiful art! And beautiful music to accompany it. I hope you leave the violin unfinished: it looks better that way.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful collection! that Robin Fox bird has captured my heart, I love him! Your South African tapestry is beautiufl, I love the cheery colours, it may have been expensive but it was worth every penny!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for organising this lovely link-up, I loved taking part and visiting all the other participants! xxx
Really beautiful pieces and such a wonderful idea and curation- well done!!! Xx
ReplyDeleteSuch a gorgeous mix of pieces, the tapestry is amazing, as are the other fabric pieces. I am really enjoying seeing all the works.
ReplyDeleteGlorious Gallery- but surely that painting isn't really 100 metres square???
ReplyDeleteYou have a lot of artwork. The Pemade is so unusual and beautiful, such a special piece, I love it.
ReplyDeleteSo much beautiful art, and with such interesting backgrounds. I love it. I don't even know how to go about picking a favourite. The red squirrel is definitely up there - in fact, now I feel like I need some squirrel art! I also love the dragonflies. Mean CBC not letting you have your Dr Who art on display! I have one piece that's not on display (I had forgotten about it actually), which is a Nevermore print I bought from Etsy ages ago. Jan doesn't like it but he said I can put it up if I want, I just haven't figured out yet where it should go. I feel like it needs to be near the bookcases but wall space is an issue!
ReplyDeleteKezzie, I just knew you’d have an eclectic collection of art, and I love that you provided music for us to browse with. I loved Tony Hart, the gallery was the best bit, my brother and I used to try to guess the age of the artist before it popped up on screen.
ReplyDeleteI love the bedroom print. And Emma Bell is right up my street, I also really like the little painting with gold-leaf from Croatia - it seems I’m somewhat of a magpie drawn to the shiny ones! hehe.
The handmade tapestry is absolutely stunning, I’m not surprised it was expensive, I can’t imagine how long that must’ve taken to make.
Katrina Parris has a lovely way with composition and colour, I can see why you have more than one piece of her work.
The unfinished violin is so special, what a wonderful thing to have.
I really like the handmade papercut, and the prints by Joanna Bourne. I wouldn’t want to be the cyclist in "Prevailing Wind, Westerly”, that looks like hard work!
I really like that your Nut Hatch is dusty, I didn’t realise that my Coleman’s Mustard print was so dirty until after I’d taken he photos! It’s a lovely little piece, very unusual. I like him a lot.
What a shame CBC won’t let you put up your Dr Who prints. It’s so difficult when you have different tastes. Andy and I rarely agree on art. He’s very traditional but I love more modern, abstract, or graphic pieces. We really don’t have much hanging on our walls at all.
Thank you so much for organising this, it was really good fun taking part, and although I’m yet to visit everyone’s gallery I’ve loved what I’ve seen so far.
xx
You have so many amazing art pieces in your home. I love the little bird sculpture, so pretty. The Katrina Parris paintings with textile are so interesting. Thank you for introducing me to her. I also like the little fish painting, one of whom is a gold leaf, such a lovely art piece. The boat on the water (forgot by whom) is wonderful as well. The zentangles (fox and music) that you were gifted are fantastic. The framed flower your mother made from book pages really appeals to my bookworm heart. :) Beautiful work and definitely counts as art. Wonderful collection of art you have in your home. I just shared those from my living room, it seemed like enough, especially since I posted about some of my paintings before.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I loved visiting your gallery with accompanying soundtrack. I know I should have participated but I was in a bit of a bad place and I couldn't really summon the energy. I will make up on this by incorporating some art - which includes nothing as fabulous as yours - in a future post. Sorry about that! But back to your gallery. What amazing pieces you have in your home. You've got the most wonderfully eclectic taste! Highlights for me are Rhododendrum, the abstract seascape, the second Katrina Parris piece, the gold leaf fish, the nuthatch sculpture and the Family Dance sculpture. All absolutely gorgeous and putting anything I have to offer to shame! xxx
ReplyDeleteI’ve arrived here via Vix blog post and so glad I popped over.
ReplyDeleteYour art collection is as eclectic as ours and I love it. What a wonderful tour you’ve given us. There’s that much artwork in our house I wouldn’t know where to start. Like you we have every medium, paint, textiles, woodcrafts, glass, mixed media, the list goes on and on.
The added soundtrack was genius
Lynn x
What a cool series! I especially like the South African tapestry (the giraffe is so cute), the unfinished violin (that's so good that your grandfather made it!), and the paper cut from your wedding. What a meaningful gift!
ReplyDeleteWOW, Kezzie! Your home has such beautiful works of art from all over the world! I was totally awestruck by all of the beautiful pieces that you have throughout your home! I can't decide which one I like best; they're all so wonderful in their own way!
ReplyDeleteIf I had to choose though, I think I'd choose the hand carved nativity scene that the Muslim mother of one of your students made for you,
"Fragment of Monet's Garden", and the sculpture of the nut hatch. I've never seen anything like that before and think how cool looking it is, especially from an angle.
But again, you have so many wonderful pieces in your home, Kezzie. I love them all!! Thank you very much for the tour of your home art gallery and thanks for sharing that music piece at the beginning! It was perfect hearing it as we "strolled" through your gallery! :)
It will take me some time, as I'm back at work now, but I will be sure to visit everyone's art galleries on the list. I know that I put a lot of work into organizing mine (it's still not perfect!!) so I want to respect and honor everyone who took the time to put their galleries together.
A great post and a wonderful idea indeed, Kezzie! :)
Kezzie you have masses of art!!! And such a variety. Love all the stitched floral and dragonfly pieces, such pretty colours too. It's so interesting to see what everyone takes a liking too. I realise I forgot a few extra pieces on my own gallery but that's perhaps for another time xx
ReplyDeleteEverything is just amazing, Kezzie - you have such beautiful pieces of art. The nuthatch is certainly a standout, but there's so much that I love. I'm honoured to be included!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for doing this gallery - I wasn't convinced when I said I'd join in but I've actually really enjoyed both writing my own post and touring other posts too!
ReplyDeleteYour collection is so varied, which is great! I really like the two pieces by Joanna Bourne.
What a shame CBC won't have the Dr Who prints on the wall... keep working on it and wear him down, haha! One day you might get them up somewhere.
It took me a while to visit all the posts and I'm sorry yours has ended up being the last one I commented on! Thank you for all the comments earlier on my last few posts too :) Part 2 of the garden will follow very soon all being well, it's drafted and just awaiting a final photo!
You have a great variety and some beautiful pieces. Just checking - I'm assuming folks who aren't on Facebook can see my "public" pics. Can they?
ReplyDeleteI can see you pics and I'm not on Facebook but sadly I can't comment!! I love your map piece!
DeleteWhat a wonderful idea this is, Kezzie. I learned of your gallery through Vix's blog. I have really enjoyed looking at the art by your blogger friends. Thank you!!!!
ReplyDeleteLoved seeing all your art Kezzie - what a great collection - I particularly loved the textile pieces and the glass sculpture and the zentangles - fabulous. But of course, the Permade is my favourite - just beautiful - such detail.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great idea and thanks for nudging me to come and look ... I've not been in a great communicating mood for weeks now ..
Loved seeing all the art, it says a lot about a person, every single person is unique in their own style. I would have loved to show mine but I don’t blog. It’s a mixture of tones of my home town in the uk, manga art and collectibles and prints. I always pick up prints when I am home. I Also am a huge manga figure collector. I agree with Ally motorbikes are art me and the hubby have a Bike each and treat them like so. So thank you
ReplyDelete